The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

DB levels on aftermarket exhaust

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hi Guys

when running on tracks in the UK we cannot exceed 105DB (measured at 75% revs at 1mtr down from the pipes.

Obviously in stock it passes easy, i have a 2011 GT with roush axle backs thats just on the limit but sounds fantastic much better than the boss

Ive taken the plates out and it still doesn't sound as good as the GT

what exhausts are you running and what DB limit are you reaching?

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
I don't have it measured, but you should be okay with '11 or '12 GT500 mufflers. Have those on my GT sound good, but not as loud as the Roush AB, which I've heard in person.

I passed a 92 dB limit with 3/4" discs on the Boss at Laguna Seca.

Thanks Grant

The Roush do sound so good though!

ill find some GT500's, im planning on buying the electronic switches for the side pipes so i can kill that side of during the test

ian

Grant 302 said:
I passed a 92 dB limit with 3/4" discs on the Boss at Laguna Seca.
I passed with my 7/8" discs and GT500 mufflers. I think I'd pass at the 90db level too.

You see this is my quandary

My 2011 GT has Roush Axle backs and its sounds fantastic, everybody loves the sound but i think its just over the limit on some tracks so i need something with less boom but a great sound.

It sounds like the GT 500 may be to quiet!

The GT500's are quite a bit louder than stock after they have a couple of hundred miles on them. The db level Grant and I are referring to is on the track between turn 5 and 6 at Laguna Seca and the sensor is a ways off the track. So not the same as you described. You should install the Roush axelbacks and take some different sized restrictor plates with you in case you don't pass. Maybe order up 1/2" and 3/4" and keep them in your car when you go to the track. Takes 15 minutes to install them.

Im going to put the electric cut outs in the side pipes so no problems there i can then open/close them to suit

its just a choice of the rear boxes:)

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
I'm surprised the corsa fan boys havent recommended their mufflers...no drone light weight outrageously expensive

http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/item/CSE-14317/Mustang-Gt-Corsa-Extreme-Axleback-Exhaust-System

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJEFJeMD7uo&feature=player_embedded[/youtube]

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Thanks Justin, I was going to jump in with the Corsas, but you beat me to it. Pricier than some , but the only ones I know of that dyno for power and sound, plus made in the US, not sent overseas and then mailed back.

No packing , so virtually no rust through issues.

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
Bill Pemberton said:
Thanks Justin, I was going to jump in with the Corsas, but you beat me to it. Pricier than some , but the only ones I know of that dyno for power and sound, plus made in the US, not sent overseas and then mailed back.

No packing , so virtually no rust through issues.
I am not worried about rust on my magnaflows as they are made of stainless steel. I think most big name exhausts are made of stainless these days.

When I go with long tubes I may have to go back to something else as they probably will be way to loud.

TMO Supporting Vendors