The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

S550 DE-DAY Build Thread Profile - S550 Mustangs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Greenbrier, TN
This is the Build Thread for my 2015 GT PP. Which I call, DE-DAY because I bought it to be an HPDE-Day car. I was not planning on doing a build thread but after just 4 months DE-DAY and I have been thru so much, I kind of had to. This is kind of a what, where and why thread.
Day 1. So I bought the car from a local guy who ordered a 2021 Mach 1 last October (It’s now Aug. 11 and he still doesn’t have a delivery date by the way)
The PO had installed Eibach Springs, ARB’s, Borla Cat back exhaust and a BAMA tune. So It was a good platform to start from.

Last edited:
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Greenbrier, TN
5/9/21 I signed up for a 1 day HPDI at NCM in Bowling Green, KY. to learn a few skills. It rained so hard that day there was a river going across the track. We still drove the course, and I got my butt kicked all day by a 16 year old in his moms AWD Infinity. That day I discovered that 1/2 worn Yokohama’s make you look like a ‘drift king’ on a road course.

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Greenbrier, TN
2 day HPDE at Barber MSP in Alabama With Chin.
I learned A lot. My instructor was a Champ Car driver and was all about speed.
Saturday I sucked. I was still afraid of the car & not sure how far I could push it.
By Sunday It was a different story. It was the first track day that I actually had FUN if that makes any sense.
I asked a lot of questions here on TMO about everything I thought ‘the car’ wasn’t doing right and learned it was 90% “driver mods needed” As TMSBOSS would say.
Back at Barber, with NASA this time. Moved to HPDE2 after 2 sessions.
Driving solo and trying to keep up with BEERMONEY in his super quick S197 was AWSOME!
(I found the limits of the PS4’s that day)
I ordered 19x11 Apex wheels. 305/30-19 RS4 and Vorshlag Camber Plates.

Last edited:
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Greenbrier, TN
Started the alignment last night. As usual, I had to ask some questions here to make sure I do it
right. I was struggling a bit until I was clued in about slip plates ( thanks PatrickStapler , Fabman & DaveW ) I also found a great article about taping a string from the front of the front tire to the back of the back tire for measuring toe.
IMG_2711.jpgIMG_2712.jpgIMG_2714.jpgIMG_2715.jpg

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Greenbrier, TN
Splitter install was a PIA. But, it looks cool. Any points awarded for cool? I mounted it to the sub frame in 4 places too. So hopefully it’s not going anywhere. There are a lot of turtles at NCM though (the walking kind)

9F5235BC-FBFC-4E98-BB3F-C00FE152EE98.jpeg0E773610-E01F-4A03-A921-93E6D0559A69.jpeg69EAEA05-27CB-479A-8301-9B7D2A7709F3.jpeg

Last edited:

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
Looking Good!!

BTW Our local track in Illinois is in the woods. Deer have been on track more than once. In fact during the drivers meeting you are warned about animals and such. Only car lost to wildlife struck a turtle. Large shell caused the car off track and into trees.

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Greenbrier, TN
Looking Good!!

BTW Our local track in Illinois is in the woods. Deer have been on track more than once. In fact during the drivers meeting you are warned about animals and such. Only car lost to wildlife struck a turtle. Large shell caused the car off track and into trees.
that’s wild! What’s up with turtles and race tracks? Wait a minute..I seem to recall this Bugs Bunny cartoon…lol

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Greenbrier, TN
A track day at Nashville and the splitter is toast. I had added extra bracing to the radiator support and to the sub frame, but apparently at 130 mph it wasn’t enough. The center section of the splitter did great with no pulling or distortion.
But there is no frame to support the far outside, so the result was the passengers side pulling the bumper tab out of the fender. I wonder if the alumalite is TOO rigid. Possibly plastic would have flexed at the base more instead of pulling down on the entire bumper.

24F2FACF-F8EC-431F-B531-4B9A6064BEF5.jpeg

065870FC-34C2-428C-8BD4-82B90036B4E5.jpeg

FF639532-E968-47A5-AEE6-5DFE769DD2A9.jpeg

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Greenbrier, TN
Although the splitter didn’t last, the downforce helped noticeably in the sweepers. So, next step...Off with the splitter. On with Hood vents and wicker bills and we’ll compare downforce performance between the 2.

2792D066-D191-43D5-9D6D-537D86098416.jpeg

581C854A-BC8B-4410-9FC6-6250A01D3216.jpeg

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Greenbrier, TN
UPDATE after Roebling Rd.
The Vents are 'better than nothing' for aero. Excellent for reducing under hood temps. 40-60f cooler. The brakes ran cooler without the splitter on 60-70f. The PP belly pan has tunnels that are supposed to funnel air to the brakes. (I wasn't sure if they really did much until now) The Vorshlag brake deflectors worked great before the splitter install (which covered the oem funnels) Next step will be to make cut outs on the splitter for the tunnels, add the center vent in the hood, then re-test.

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Greenbrier, TN
I installed a new set of Reybestos discs and Hawk brakes (DT30-DT60) which are the ones recommended by Hawk. Excellent set up. I bedded them before an event at NCM with NASA Great Lakes and they got up to temp quickly but didn't over-heat. It's like I need to learn the car all over again. I was on the brakes at the 3 marker at the front straight with Auto-X pads and now I'm not on until 2-1.
I also installed bumper pins and reinstalled the splitter. I can't say the splitter made a noticeable difference. But it looks cool and I don't feel like taking the bumper back off right now, so it stays.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Really fun read and it is great to see you have found out one of the great secrets of TMO. That secret is listing your car on the " Build Thread " often leads to folks where you end up running recognizing you, helping you and building some great friendships. By the time I finished with DE-DAY's story I figured out you were really, really hooked and it looks to me that it won't be too long before the name changes to TT-DAY, ha.

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Greenbrier, TN
Really fun read and it is great to see you have found out one of the great secrets of TMO. That secret is listing your car on the " Build Thread " often leads to folks where you end up running recognizing you, helping you and building some great friendships. By the time I finished with DE-DAY's story I figured out you were really, really hooked and it looks to me that it won't be too long before the name changes to TT-DAY, ha.
Thanks Bill. You’re right… I’m over the edge… no turning back. 😳
Ive already gotten to hang out with a few TMO guys at the tracks. The guidance I’ve gotten here is priceless. DE-DAY just won her first TTU. Who knows, your name change just might stick! lol

Last edited:
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Greenbrier, TN
My new ZL1 front tow hook didn't survive the ride home from Memphis. If you look at the weld on the mounting nut that broke off, it looks like the weld was only attached in a very small spot. Glad it happened on the trailer, not the track.CB926999-9DE6-404A-8ADD-55209FE6A97B.jpeg4C24DB07-72CD-494B-90A4-359249597CCB.jpeg

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
My new ZL1 front tow hook didn't survive the ride home from Memphis. If you look at the weld on the mounting nut that broke off
Looks like the "Welds" were a little cold. No penetration.

I planned to install my ZL-1 hook next week. Will inspect closely first.

Thanks for the info!!

TMO Supporting Vendors