The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Dead Battery FYI

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

And I suppose it's a 36 month warranty item? :'(

What's a good replacement battery? Will this one work?

http://www.amazon.com/Optima-8020-164-FFP-RedTop-Starting-Battery/dp/B006QH55WY/ref=pd_sxp_grid_pt_0_0

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
NFSBOSS said:
And I suppose it's a 36 month warranty item? :'(

What's a good replacement battery? Will this one work?

http://www.amazon.com/Optima-8020-164-FFP-RedTop-Starting-Battery/dp/B006QH55WY/ref=pd_sxp_grid_pt_0_0

If you order online, be sure the dimensions are correct for our car as well as the posts being in the proper location. + and - have to be located correctly or the cables will likely not reach the posts.

Also take a look at the reviews on Amazon. If you do have a issue down the road, warranty claims may be a problem.

Just had to replace mine this weekend. No warranty since I have 42k. Went ahead and bought the same battery from Ford(36 month no mileage limit warranty). I noticed the terminal was starting to get the green gunk on it a few weeks ago. When I took the battery out I noticed the crack around the Negative terminal. I pulled the battery tray and found it had been leaking for a while since it stripped some of the paint under the tray. I believe you can also tell it is leaking by finding dark grey spots on the export brace by the battery that won't come off.

Got 8 years out of my OEM Cobra R battery and 10 years in my 03 Cobra. Most aftermarkets last me around 5-6 years. We don't have too harsh of winters and summers are normally high 90's with some 100's.

Senderofan

Having more fun than should be allowed..in my Boss
Sammykjr1 said:
That is not a leak. It is normal for the green fuzz to show up. It's just over time it will happen. Clean it good, then put some anti-oxidant on the terminal and it will slow it down considerable. It is just a reaction (after all, batteries are metal and water making a 2.45v output per cell).

Mmmmm.... I'm pretty certain it was battery acid leaking. I put a paste consisting of baking soda and water on the posts...there was a significant reaction that included bubbles. There was also areas being corroded on the metal tie downs.....ate through the paint or powder coating then into the metal.

Anyway...Odyssee batteries all around for me.

Wayne

TymeSlayer said:
I believe the Motorcraft batteries are made by Johnson Controls. They private label for Motorcraft, Interstate, Diehard, and Duralast just to name a few. More than likely it's not the brand but rather getting the bad egg of the batch.

TymeSlayer is correct, Johnson controls supplies 90-95% of all batteries in the US and MX. JCI supplies 100% of Ford OE motorcraft and aftermarket motorcraft. 95% of Chrysler and 89% of GM. Diehard is Exide, but the rest of the batteries are JCI: Motorcraft, AcDelco, Interstate, Optima, Duralast, Walmart, Sam Clubs, Vartra and almost every motorcycle, lawn mower....small battery.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel