The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Dead Battery FYI

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yesterday evening I parked the Boss for 15 minutes while I shopped. When I got back in the car to start it, the dash lit up like a disco ball and the glove box started ticking like a time bomb. I thought I fried the computer. I called my guy at Ford and he assured me that the battery was dead. The lights, radio, and windows etc worked, so I didn't believe him. He was right though. I bought a new battery and the car fired right up. It even seemed to run better.

I was surprised, that after only a year, the battery died. You might want to check yours so you don't get stranded.

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
Fomoco302 said:
IMHO and from experience most all OEM batteries are crap.

I changed the Original FoMoCo batteries in my 2003 F-250 Diesel pickup this spring. 10 years on original batteries. No issues with batteries just could not imagine they would get through another winter.

Just saying.

TMSBOSS said:
I changed the Original FoMoCo batteries in my 2003 F-250 Diesel pickup this spring. 10 years on original batteries. No issues with batteries just could not imagine they would get through another winter.

Just saying.

I'm with you. I bought my F-250 in Oct of 2005 and I still have the original battery in it. Over 8 years and still going strong. It's been what I've come to expect out of Motorcraft batteries. I don't remember even one that didn't last at least 8 years and I've been driving Fords a long time.

Used to work at Advance Auto, where we got alot of battery replacement orders. What I noticed was stock batteries, on average, lasted about 6 years. I've encountered some that have lasted 12 years, and some not even a year. So it's kind of a hit or miss, depending on quality control of the manufacturers.

Just started noticing the green powder( forget what this means) on my Negative terminal last time I cleaned the engine area and looked and didn't see the green indicator in the window either. I drive mine daily and have about 31k on it. Bought it Dec. 2011. I have owned nothing but Fords and normally see the stock go out within 3 years.

Senderofan

Having more fun than should be allowed..in my Boss
Hambone said:
Just started noticing the green powder( forget what this means) on my Negative terminal last time I cleaned the engine area and looked and didn't see the green indicator in the window either. I drive mine daily and have about 31k on it. Bought it Dec. 2011. I have owned nothing but Fords and normally see the stock go out within 3 years.

I think the green buildup may mean you have a leak. Guess I'd clean it up and keep a watch on it. I had AC Delco batteries in my previous diesel start leaking slightly and then they crapped out. My battery for my Boss has gone south. I think these might be a little more fragile than the average battery...since they are a lightened version. I'm not too upset......I have less confidence in OEM batteries after a couple of years than I do after I replace them with an Odyssee (? Sp) battery.

I've owned Fords all my life and never had a Motorcraft battery last more than 3yrs. Maybe it's the Texas and Louisiana heat. Either way at the 30 month mark I start testing the battery monthly just to keep from being stranded.

Senderofan said:
I think these might be a little more fragile than the average battery...since they are a lightened version.

Are the batteries in our cars lighter than the standard coyote battery?

Senderofan

Having more fun than should be allowed..in my Boss
My bad....I thought I had read that our batteries were a lightened version. They are a lot lighter than an AGM battery of nearly the same size. But that's not apples to apples.

Either battery will fit, but per the Boss 302 owners manual sup. page 22 I believe the Boss has a light weight battery part #BXT-96R-500. Standard 5.0's call for part #BXT-96R-590. If memory serves me correctly its only a few pounds at best.

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
I *like* the OEM batteries. I don't know of any others that come with a hygrometer...helps make sure I keep them topped-off. Mine have gone 7-8 years between Hawaii and SoCal with lots of A/C use.

TMO Supporting Vendors