The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Dead Battery Leads Me to a 2015 Mustang

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

So my crappy Motorcraft battery died last night after only a little more than a year and a half. Took afternoon off from work to head to the dealership. After getting the run around, they told me 2.5 hour wait to check and replace the battery. Sucko!

Well time flew by because the local Ford rep was training the dealership on the new 2015 Stang and was in a silver Ecoboost test car.

I snuck into the group of sales guys as he was giving the vehicle demo. Answered a couple of questions the staff could not. Had a blast.

After he was done, he spent 2 hours walking me through the car one on one and answered all my questions while we sat inside it with cooling seats in the hot Texas heat. Super great guy. What I thought was going to be a painful wait just flew by.

310HP, plenty of torque and he's been getting close to 30MPG since he's been driving it. Won't be too difficult to get this to 400+ HP, plus a 6-speed but no Brembo option.

He showed me pics of all the colors except Competition Orange. The yellow looks ill!! There us a new color, I forgot the name. It's a lighter green than the Bullet green but is metallic and has silver flake in it. He says in person it's amazing. The lights hitting the car looked silver but the rest of the car was definitely green. It's not a color changing effect like the mystic chrome.

Unfortunately he could not share pics or take me for a ride, but I got some cool pics with my Boss! Fun day and made a new friend in the Austin area. Good day.

rezenu7u.jpg

aqy7a9eq.jpg

a6ateras.jpg

jadu2amy.jpg

ebuja4aj.jpg

me8ybu4y.jpg
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Sounds like a fun day. Our cars look soooo dated next to the S550.

NFSBOSS said:

Funny how that happens with every generation of Mustang. Can't wait to see what all of the special editions look like and the convertible. He said the vert was designed truly as a vert and not a coupe that was made to work as a vert.

Sad to see the glass roof is gone too. I really wanted that option on my next stang.

They have the green you mentioned at Mustang Alley during the Woodward Dream cruise. saw it last night as the sun was setting. they were then putting it on it's side so you can see under it like they've done in the past with a Boss 302.

Maui
Yes that greenish silver color is "guard". It's an awesome color. Sorry to hear about the battery. Mine died out too last weekend. I ended getting a yellow top optima battery. Paid out of pocket... We'll see how this does...

NFSBOSS said:
Actually, I think the opposite. To me, it looks like the '13 is the evolution of the S550, not the othe other way around. Comparison photos like these convince me that I have the right car, right now. I have seen the '15 in person and I remain underwhelmed.

808Boss said:
Yes that greenish silver color is "guard". It's an awesome color. Sorry to hear about the battery. Mine died out too last weekend. I ended getting a yellow top optima battery. Paid out of pocket... We'll see how this does...

Yeah, I'll upgrade at some point too. I have upgraded my stereo and lighting. Thought about doing it now, but thanks to getting registered for the September Track Attack, we are now raking an unplanned vacation. Need to save the bucks and take advantage of the warranty.

Boss0960 said:
Actually, I think the opposite. To me, it looks like the '13 is the evolution of the S550, not the othe other way around. Comparison photos like these convince me that I have the right car, right now. I have seen the '15 in person and I remain underwhelmed.

Hope the pics help everyone further their opinions. I personally like the new platform. There are things I like and don't from all of the recent generations, including my Boss.

The one thing for sure, is Ford has stepped up their quality and fit and finish on the interior. Our cars feel "cheap" in comparison to the '15, and this one was not even the full premium interior package.

I still would not trade my Boss for a '15, doesn't mean I won't add one in the future.

Interesting to see them side by side. I definitely see some DNA in the front fascia from our cars, but the rear end is a whole different story. Undecided as to whether I like it or not yet. Thanks for posting these photos. 1st time I have seen side by side comparison.

There was a 2015 50th Anniversary GT 5.0 in Whimbledon White at the MCA National show in Lincoln, NE last weekend. I thought it looked terrific overall. The front end is...I dunno...missing something. Not bad, mind you, just a bit too "contemporary sports coupe" generic or something. But the rest of the car is fabulous. The proportions are much better, and the overall design more coherent that the S197 cars, with better detailing. And that roof line and rear end... man, what an ass!

cbj5259 said:
Interesting to see them side by side. I definitely see some DNA in the front fascia from our cars, but the rear end is a whole different story. Undecided as to whether I like it or not yet. Thanks for posting these photos. 1st time I have seen side by side comparison.

Yeah the pics help but seeing the cars side by side in person really distinguishes the two. Glad to have posted them for all to see.

dabossinne said:
There was a 2015 50th Anniversary GT 5.0 in Whimbledon White at the MCA National show in Lincoln, NE last weekend. I thought it looked terrific overall. The front end is...I dunno...missing something. Not bad, mind you, just a bit too "contemporary sports coupe" generic or something. But the rest of the car is fabulous. The proportions are much better, and the overall design more coherent that the S197 cars, with better detailing. And that roof line and rear end... man, what an ass!

Interesting thing is the proportions are not really much different according to the rep. He said the car is really the same size, just about 1.5" shorter in height vs a stock GT. Wheel base is slightly different. I think the panels and lines gives it a different proportional feel. Especially the fastback style design.

He mentioned some things about the rear end design leaving much more room for the rear wheels. I immediately asked does it mean we can run wider tires. He said he thought the same things and asked the Ford engineers the same thing. He got a typical engineer's type response. "The stock rear wheels are the optimum design for the vehicle." Or something along this lines, lol..

The current generation weighs too much.

The 2015 weighs MORE.

I'm afraid the new Camaro is going to smoke the 2015+ Mustang. I hate to say it, but Ford has one year to sell the Mustang. The new Camaro SS will weigh about the same as the Mustang but will have the new Corvette engine. Chevy will be putting 20 inch tires in 300+ width on the SS. Who knows what a next gen Z/28 will have.

I saw a 2015 Mustang in that green color at the Denver Auto Show in April. It did nothing for me, and judging from the people crowded around the 2014's they had there, it didn't do anything for most others, either. If you are not a Mustang fan, the new car doesn't really have a lot to get you to cough up your $30K+.

The resale on the 2012-13 Boss will be strong.

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
::)

I'd reserve judgement about the weight until after somebody gets one one the scales. As far as we know, the weight only comes from components like the upsized brakes and IRS. Big deal. I'd still prefer the new wider rear track width, and the aluminum fenders. And I'd still take the small weight penalty of the IRS if it actually works well stock.

The new styling on the '15 is polarizing, and might not inspire more sales in the US. And you're probably half right *IF* GM gets their butt in gear and makes a significantly lighter Camaro that looks good. I doubt it.

All spirited opinions but until we get real test and performance data it's all smoke. Ford needs someone to push the Mustang and if it's the Camaro, that's great. I love all cars if the look is right and the performance is solid. Unless the Camaro gets a major facelift I don't care how well it performs. Same for the Corvette. The new Stingray is the first Vette in a long time that makes me rubberneck. But I can't comfortably fit in one. I'm just going to enjoy the performance wars while they last, because they will end at some point.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel