The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Dead Lithium Battery

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I installed an Antigravity lithium battery which has been working great until I left the parking lights on by accident last night. Completely drained the battery. Normally I put a bulk charger on the lead acid unit and in short order it's good. Been charging this battery since 11am with a Battery Tender charger and it's still completely dead. According to the description of the Tender it can bulk charge if it needs to but after 8 hours I would have expected at least the courtesy light working. Should I be charging it with a different charger? The Battery Tender functions as a trickle charger as well but I expected it to work faster.

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
If the specific charger you have is not listed for charging lithium batteries it might not help at all or possibly be dangerous.

Which model of Battery Tender are you using? And what model Antigravity?

Lithium batteries come in several different chemistries.

I have the ATX12-24 battery. The charger I have is a dual purpose. I have it switched to lithium and it has been keeping the battery topped off for a few months. I guess I should have read the charger instructions first. Apparently if the battery is putting out less than 3V the charger won't turn on. So now I have to call the Antigravity folks to determine if I ruined this rather expensive unit or if there is another charging method I can use to get it working.

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
Could be ruined. Most Li variants don't like full discharge. You might need to put it on another charger that will get it over that 3 volt level first. Or hook up another battery in parallel just to 'trick' this charger into starting the charge cycle. I think a lot of people think the battery is dead when it's just below the level that most 'smart' chargers will recognize it.

Good luck.

Before you buy a new battery, try the tecmate optiMATE charger. I had one that was down to 2.5v and that’s game over, but I was told to try the optiMATE, and it recovered the battery. It’s roughly $50

US
I second the parallel battery suggestion. Often happens with optima batteries.

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk

I second the parallel battery suggestion. Often happens with optima batteries.

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk

+1 ^ I have used this trick a lot on AGM batteries, and have heard it does the trick for lithium ion as well. Hopefully this can keep some money in your pocket... At least until race day...

AGM is still lead-acid chem. You need to use a lithium specific charge strategy and in this case one designed for bringing cells back from low voltage. You can ‘trick’ this battery into charging, but if you flood this thing with 2+ amps when those cells are that low, they are more likely to become irreparably damaged.

TMO Supporting Vendors