The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Dead Starter Motor

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cholmes1

400lb Gorilla
Denver, CO
Friday was a sad day...just prior to the Labor Day weekend my 302, with only 4100 miles, decided to have the starter motor die. I have no idea why this occurred given the low miles and that the car has never even seen rain or a carwash, but it clearly is a faulty part. Fortunately, the car is under the PremiumCARE extended warranty through 1/2020 so it will be gratis for towing and replacement. A huge headache to be certain given the great weekend and weather I missed out on, but I will be very happy to have the 302 back under my roof when the work is complete. Being Ford warranty work and having the front splitter attached, I assume it will be at least a week or two.

Very unlikely, but is there any way to prevent such an occurrence in the future or way to start the car bypassing the starter motor? In my younger days, I would have 'popped the clutch' on a hill to get it running and back to my garage, but not knowing enough about the sensitivity of modern cars I chose not to and let it sit.
IMG_4659.jpg

As a note, for those of you that have to have your Boss' towed and you have lowering springs and the splitter it is possible, but you will need several pieces of lumber and a competent tow man. Fortunately, mine died in the Lowes parking lot so lumbar was at hand.

Best to you all for a good week ahead...

Attachments

• IMG_4662.png
    IMG_4662.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 98
I hate to see a Boss getting towed. A starter motor going with that low mileage is rare indeed.My '12 Boss has a little over 34K on the clock and the only thing I had to replace so far was the battery.....................knock on wood...........................Oh, I forgot , and tires last year........the rears were worn down more that the fronts...it must be way the car sits....:rolleyes:

Last edited:

TymeSlayer

Tramps like us, Baby we were born to run...
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Brighton, Colorado
Charles,

I once dealt with dead battery and had to "POP" the clutch to get her started and home. Worked just like it did in the seventies. Can't speak to the starter issue as mine is going still strong after eight years.

Kirk

cholmes1

400lb Gorilla
Denver, CO
Thank you all for your insights and letting me know a ‘pop’ can still work if needed.

Well I have the Boss back but was told something that I have never heard...the Ford dealer replaced the battery and the ‘battery control module.’ Apparently they were able to jump the car by connecting to the starter directly and when running saw the battery had a dead cell and that I was unable to jump the car due to the control module.

I asked for a part number for the ‘module’ and it could not be provided. It sounds like an in-line fuse between the battery and the starter had gone bad. They only module like they described exists only on hybrids.

Very happy to have the car back but no clue what they fixed beyond the damaged battery. Anyone have an idea? Perhaps it was something like @gtorpedo mentioned above...

Cars are getting so complex now, with all that computer gadgetry, that the average backyard mechanic will only be able to put air in the tires pretty soon.....Back in the day, I replaced shocks, points ( young folks might not know about those), plugs, wires, thermostats, radiators...you name it. Come to think of it, I could still do that stuff today.......except for the points, of course................

cholmes1

400lb Gorilla
Denver, CO
Cars are getting so complex now, with all that computer gadgetry, that the average backyard mechanic will only be able to put air in the tires pretty soon.....Back in the day, I replaced shocks, points ( young folks might not know about those), plugs, wires, thermostats, radiators...you name it. Come to think of it, I could still do that stuff today.......except for the points, of course................

I am VERY happy we no longer have to set points. The mechanics of alternators was fun the first time or two, but it became a real headache in repeated swaps. I have the same view for carburetor tuning, fun at the moment, but not if you have to do it repeatedly. Fortunately, I kept the old cars in case I start feeling nostalgic.

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
Yea.....back I the day.....
Been there.
Today a “Backyard Mechanic” has a OBDII scanner and a smart phone. Together they can be used to diagnosis issues only dreamed of back In The Day.
I also have a car which came from the factory with points. Still have the points. They are in a parts bin in the shop. Petronix III takes care of the spark, rev limiter and controls spark intensity all from inside the cap.
I do long for the good ole days. Back when I was skinny, my hair was longer, forehead smaller etc.. having to fiddle with spark, fuel timing etc. all the time.....not so much.

Back when I was skinny, my hair was longer, forehead smaller
I've gained 30lbs since i was in my 20's. I blame that on selling my 442 and not shifting anymore since all I had were auto trans til my '04 GT and '12 Boss. Declining metabolism rates will figure in no matter what you do..I'll never give up my pizzas!!! As far as hair loss, start looking for hats....I am starting quite a collection...a toupee is not in my future...........A lot of guys are shaving their heads to distract their baldness, but I can't even shave my face with confidence..................

It's called aging and it sure beats the alternative!

It's called aging and it sure beats the alternative!
It's also known as the "Golden Years"....Whoever connived that phrase....I wanna have a chat with! them!!!!!!!!!!!!........My Golden years were back in my 20's and early 30's!!!!!!!!!!.....I'm giving myself a little leeway here....................I understand the alternative is not being able to enjoy the Boss anymore and that's one thing I regret with more passion than anyone can know................

cholmes1

400lb Gorilla
Denver, CO
Yes, the engine is stock. No issues with the starter motor. A dead cell in the battery and a bad ‘battery’ control module’ that connects to the starter. Apparently the module was why I was unable to jump start the car.

cholmes1

400lb Gorilla
Denver, CO
Sorry, no chance I can go to Hastings this year. Hopefully 2020 will allow for some more time. I do hope to see you and Rob at High Plains this year if possible before they close for winter

TMO Supporting Vendors