The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Dead

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Took the car to a touchless car wash (have gone to the same place dozens of times with the Boss)

Come back home to pick up some stuff and turn car off for 15 mins.

Clear P0430 code for CAT efficiency (periodically do it every 50-70 kms when it pops us)
and start car, car hesitates on start, but fires up.

Drive 10 mins to a coffee shop, park the car for 1 hour.

Restart the car, car hesitates again, but fires up.

Cruise for about 15 mins, and do some WOT pulls. No issues, besides not being able to get into 5th.

Come back to coffee shop and park car for 30 mins.

Try restarting car, but car is totally dead. (doesnt even hesitate like before, now has clicking noises and headlights flashing)

Call my brother and have him boost my car, fires up right away, no hesitation.

Drive around another 10 mins + leave the car running for 10ish minutes.

Take the care home and park. Instantly try to restart after parking, car is completely dead (doesnt even both hesitates, just does the clicking noise and headlights flash)

Im thinking battery is dead? Alternator is toast? (Alternator wires are directly under 13' hood vents).

Question is, where are the warning lights? Battery Charger status is "OK" under Systems Check within dash computer.

Will take it to the dealer tomorrow after I boost the car again. Dont want them towing it, unless its totally necessary,

Any thoughts?

Sarosh

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
If you have not done so already, try the easy stuff. Remove and clean the battery terminals. 20 minutes work, may fix the problem.

Sounds like the car ran fine after you jumped it off. This does indicate a good alternator. Power had to come from somewhere.

Could be a battery or other issue. Good news is that it's all under warranty. Ensure they replace with like kind battery if needed. A unit that "Fits" may not be the same battery. The Boss has a unique battery. Lighter I believe.

Do you have a volt meter? If so, test the current at battery before starting. 12-13 would be normal. Then test with car running. 13- 14 would be normal.

Seriously doubt a water issue.

Good luck.

Let us know what the fax was once repaired.

FWIW I have had two failed alternators and a starter. Now on cold start I get a little "run on" from the starter so may have another starter going bad? Notorious is right. Also had two failed alternators on my GT500.

Wow I had no idea alternators were failing.

I took a voltage reading this morning and it was only 10.5 @ the battery. Didnt have time to boost and take a second reading while running, will do that after work. Regardless, car is going to the dealer. I just want to drive it there instead of having them pick it up.

sadil said:
Wow I had no idea alternators were failing.

I took a voltage reading this morning and it was only 10.5 @ the battery. Didnt have time to boost and take a second reading while running, will do that after work. Regardless, car is going to the dealer. I just want to drive it there instead of having them pick it up.
The alternator's are probably failing from repeated high RPM track use even though they were supposed to be designed to handle it. Your situation sounds like a dead battery. Any chance you let it sit for long periods without a charger on it?

+1 on the dead battery. My battery went dead in less than a year. Got it replaced under warranty. Yes, since the car ran with no issue after the jump, it definitely sounds like you battery.

Thanks guys.

I drive the car every day so this is def. battery issue that is not related to just the car being left off for a long period. I remember over the winter I was turning it on once a month to cycle fluids and it wouldn't start up. I then dropped the interval down to once a week and it was fine. Will keep you guys posted.

Sarosh

+1 on the battery. Do you have any aftermarket goodies hooked up? Could be a current leak if you do. Check your battery voltage with everything connected then disconnect it and check it again, it should be the same voltage, maybe a couple of millivolts higher but not much because of the electronics. If you don't have a meter then more then likely it will spark if you have a load when you reconnect it. I still think it's just a battery though. They are if'y at best.

Problem fixed. It was a dead battery. Went to the dealer and had it replaced. Installed a 590 series battery and then informed them the boss takes a 500 size. So they switched it out. Shes running fine now.

TMO Supporting Vendors