The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

dealer approves trans removal

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Well, car still at Ford dealership.they are too busy now, to pull the trans..they did say the tech was in, to do the track key,which is good news,.now they say Monday. Arrrgh!.

UPDATE- Dealer will supply a brand new trans.YEEHAW!!.after a day and a half,going through the trans,they(Ford)decided to bring in a new trans.apparently,the clutch and flywheel were in good shape.they will install a new ACT,SFI clutch and billet flywheel.i also brought them the Whiteline trans bushing insert.these guys are bending backwards for me on this deal.i'm really pleased with their enthusiasm for the Boss.they also brought in the Track key package,to be installed,right after the trans..Hey,,,do you think that new trans,will have any upgrades,as the 2013's don't seem to have as many issues.-should be driving by next weekend.ill post those results.

boss742 said:
UPDATE- Dealer will supply a brand new trans.YEEHAW!!.after a day and a half,going through the trans,they(Ford)decided to bring in a new trans.apparently,the clutch and flywheel were in good shape.they will install a new ACT,SFI clutch and billet flywheel.i also brought them the Whiteline trans bushing insert.these guys are bending backwards for me on this deal.i'm really pleased with their enthusiasm for the Boss.they also brought in the Track key package,to be installed,right after the trans.One small issue,not their fault---they offered to repaint the hood,as it had a few small blisters,on the leading edge.after paint, they tried to apply the hood black decal,-long story short-second attempt as Ford has sent 2 creased hood decals.i told the guys not to worry about the decal now as we will be drive'n down the pacific coast highway,in 2 weeks.(hope the San Fran weather is good)a great trip to break in the new trans and clutch.if you see a 2012 Orange Boss,with B.C. plates,that'd be me and the wife.Hey,,,do you think that new trans,will have any upgrades,as the 2013's don't seem to have as many issues.-should be driving by next weekend.ill post those results.
Good deal. FWIW I'd leave the Whiteline trans bushing out and try your car with just the new clutch. If you still have shifting problems then install it.

Ya know, I was thinking about that las t night.I think it ,will go in.and here's my thinkin'.under shifting, under load, the stock trans mount, being a mush sponge, moves soo much, I think that can accelerate wear, .with the insert in, it should keep the geometry in check., thus , breaking in the trans, more smoothly.thats my 2 cents..any thoughts , or does anybody know,about the replacement trans, having upgrades.?the Ford tech was not sure.

the Ford service manager called earlier today,the car almost done. new trans,new clutch,flywheel,and t.o. bearing\slave.also track key install,and clearcoat hood.still waiting for Ford to send 3rd hood decal.anyways,he just called again.they just returned from a test drive again and reported clutch pedal sticking to floor.(pedal has assist spring removed,upgraded clutchline,and whiteline trans mount insert too.they suspect a faulty hydralic t.o.slave assembly,so,rush a new part from toronto and they'll have to remove trans again.alot of work.all new parts,oh, well,just have to wait and see what the problem is.

Yes thats bizarre.thats a problem I did have initially at high rpm, cured by removing that spring.they said it occured under normal driving, as they're aware of the new parts.im sure they bled the clutch line-has to be a faultyT.O. slave assembly, or improper installation....that new pressure plate is a stout piece.I 'll keep posting updates 'til this is all over, hopefully soon.

got the Boss back today.Ford tech states as follows".after new trans in and out twice,trying 2 TOB's,clutch still goes to floor,now at 6800.Ford is aware of this problem,and thats that"(???).he said drive it and hopefully Ford will have a fix in the future.,,trans shifts beautifully now,what a difference.night and day!however,on the way home,did squeeze the throttle up to 7000 shift ,and heard an audible air squeek ( been bled mega times),pedal stuck to floor but felt different than original set up. clutch release and engagement opposite from stock-now at end of travel.something not right .have contacted the clutch supplier,who contacted ACT,who then called me.i'll give Mike at ACT more feedback this monday. a California company,said 0 issues with this clutch so far.ACT suspects maybe the factory T.o.b. is over extending.Looked at the original clutch assembly,wimpy by comparison(Turkey)but disk and pressure plate looked good,flywheel had been a bit abused.results from trans where" blocker rings suspect,reverse syncro seized onto output shaft"-yikes!thats as far as they got,because of difficulty of dis-assemble.so,halfway there.looks like i;ll be paying for trans removale and possible parts swap.Hopefull ACT will help out. part # fm13 HD SS. the saga drags on..........

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
I don't want to make you more upset but there is a question on whether the original trans had a spacer behind the TOB and if the new trans didn't require one. My 2011 car had one, I bought a 2012 Boss trans that didn't come with one. At first I assumed I had to swap mine over, but then I decided to measure. Good thing because Ford or Getrag changed the housing at the input shaft and the spacer was not required. I did not use it and my replacement trans worked perfectly. There is a possibility that your car came with a spacer and the new trans has the extended mounting surface and doesn't need it. If they swapped it over then the cutch will over center and stick in the disengaged position.
Ask them.
Steve

excellent point. thanks Steve.I'll pass this on first thing monday.if they missed that,that would come under a warrantee issue,you'd think .maybe not for my clutch. This makes perfect sense. l was thinking also, the tob extending far past center (if this is indeed the issue) have caused major stress damage on the diaphram -fingers on the new pressure plate, and that air squeek i heard from the tob? I drove it around 30 miles..by the way Steve,i really dig that Wood Bros. vintage look,that looks killer . I'll post tuesday's results(holiday Monday) MARK.

just got off the phone with Ford tech at dealership.told them about the trans -being able to engage gear with pedal 2-3" off the floor,and at very end of pedal release travel-,clutch engage and release,,and pedal to floor at 67-6800(which really is completely different, being sucked,pulled in to the floor, and the way it realised was not the same as before at 7000,hard to explain., with a audible sucking noise).passed along the tob spacer,input shaft info ect.He told me they just installed the new trans,with no spacer at all.now i'm getting really upset.car is not really driveable at this point.he said he'll get back to me.I called ACT.they think the same.tob being spaced,causing over centering the clutch. measurements of pressure plate to flat sevice to top off diaphram fingers is within thousanths,the same as factory pressure plate.- 2 1/2" i don't know if thats significant .So much for my road trip . i can't see this getting solved anytime soon before we planned to holiday.

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
Sorry to hear this. I just had my trans replaced and had a mcleod put in while it was out (dealer recommended it) working great so far. prior to that I had a centerforce DYAD clutch with no issues with it. I had a ACT in my RX7 years and years ago. it was a great clutch for me back then. not that it helps you now a lot can happen in 12 years with a company's quality control.

Domestic Product

Big fat tires and everything !
boss742 said:
just got off the phone with Ford tech at dealership.told them about the trans -being able to engage gear with pedal 2-3" off the floor,and at very end of pedal release travel-,clutch engage and release,,and pedal to floor at 67-6800(which really is completely different, being sucked,pulled in to the floor, and the way it realised was not the same as before at 7000,hard to explain., with a audible sucking noise).passed along the tob spacer,input shaft info ect.He told me they just installed the new trans,with no spacer at all.now i'm getting really upset.car is not really driveable at this point.he said he'll get back to me.I called ACT.they think the same.tob being spaced,causing over centering the clutch. measurements of pressure plate to flat sevice to top off diaphram fingers is within thousanths,the same as factory pressure plate.- 2 1/2" i don't know if thats significant .So much for my road trip . i can't see this getting solved anytime soon before we planned to holiday.

Hey hang in there,
Dealing with Ford is kinda like dealing with the government. Depends who you get and at the best SLOW. Stay on them and it will get fixed. Mine did at least for now. I wish the guys in charge of the road runner were in charge of the transmission, definitely a weak point in a otherwise awesome car.

Hello again.after repeat calls to ACT,they suggested a wooden block or pedal stop!.thats right kids.he then said they don't sell many for the Boss.also to return it for modification.what?Okay,i'll get the perf shop to return it ,see if i can get some sort of refund.I'm not impressed.this morning i called Ford,He said bring it back.on the way there,it seemed to be slipping,noisey and was able to put in gear with the pedal down no further than 1 inch.then the little wrench icon lit up the dash.I took the mechanic(same fellow that started the work on the car)for a quick run,demo'd the sucking pedal at 6500.he also heard that sucking sound.no problem.they will remove the trans,and clutch,and measure everything.remove the ACT pressure plate and disk,and install a new Boss assembly.He said he is in direct communications with the Ford hot line for the Boss.they need to get all ford parts back in to evaluate.they are dedicating all day tommorrow for the car,and this time they promise good results.stay tuned! and thanks for your input!

Justin

boss742 said:
Hello again.after repeat calls to ACT,they suggested a wooden block or pedal stop!.thats right kids.he then said they don't sell many for the Boss.also to return it for modification.what?Okay,i'll get the perf shop to return it ,see if i can get some sort of refund.I'm not impressed.this morning i called Ford,He said bring it back.on the way there,it seemed to be slipping,noisey and was able to put in gear with the pedal down no further than 1 inch.then the little wrench icon lit up the dash.I took the mechanic(same fellow that started the work on the car)for a quick run,demo'd the sucking pedal at 6500.he also heard that sucking sound.no problem.they will remove the trans,and clutch,and measure everything.remove the ACT pressure plate and disk,and install a new Boss assembly.He said he is in direct communications with the Ford hot line for the Boss.they need to get all ford parts back in to evaluate.they are dedicating all day tommorrow for the car,and this time they promise good results.stay tuned! and thanks for your input!
thats insane. I'm marking act down as a no go for clutches for a mustang. Once it's sorted go with a McLeod or centerforce and be done with it

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 - Racing Legend to Modern Muscle Car
Southeast
I totally agree, I will go with a Spec 3 + with a full disc! no puck clutch for me! or a Mc Cloud unit. No twin for me, single clutch set up with a rebuildable aluminum flywheel.

You don't want to go cheap when replacing a clutch. I wondered about that ACT Disc when I saw the hub had only 4 springs, and now come to find the pressure plate can't handle RPM's over 6,000 - 6,300 RPM's

That is a shame and an expensive fix. Thank you for sharing and giving us the heads up on the ACT clutch products.

Hope it goes well for you. Fortunately it sounds like you have a good dealer.

-302 Hi Pro

Justin

302 Hi Pro said:
I totally agree, I will go with a Spec 3 + with a full disc! no puck clutch for me! or a Mc Cloud unit. No twin for me, single clutch set up with a rebuildable aluminum flywheel.

You don't want to go cheap when replacing a clutch. I wondered about that ACT Disc when I saw the hub had only 4 springs, and now come to find the pressure plate can't handle RPM's over 6,000 - 6,300 RPM's

That is a shame and an expensive fix. Thank you for sharing and giving us the heads up on the ACT clutch products.

Hope it goes well for you. Fortunately it sounds like you have a good dealer.

-302 Hi Pro
McLeod is the way to go. The RST in my car is working great...prior to that the centerforce DYAD (twin disc) worked awesome as well. Twin disc is the way to go. mcleod is the quiet version that feels lighter then stock...

in my situation with the dealership,Ford is calling the shots from afar now,they have instructed the service techs to trouble shoot this deal,using a replacement Boss pressure plate and disk.they replaced the trans.the tech said they can re use the ACT flywheel.i'm really only out of pocket for the ACT pressure plate-disc and alot of stress..once this is sorted out,if all is fine with the Boss clutch,i can , this summer,get a better set up.but for now,i want to see this solved.Ford won't spring again with an aftermarket deal,and thats fine with me.( 3rd time trans out)Yea,i was shocked with the response from ACT.Man, something was really wrong on the drive back to Ford today. shifting,and pedal feel went south.They(Ford) said they will run that engine -wrench light code.could be several things.Yes,i'm dealing with decent people at the dealership,real car guys.should find out some answers tomorrow.thanks guys.Mark. .Thursday 4 pm.dealership phoned.they have a rush order for the Boss clutch.they have no idea when its coming, somewhere USA.no other results. Whammy!.

Domestic Product

Big fat tires and everything !
I too have a McLeod RST. It works great, shifts at the rev limiter. The car is a keeper so ditch the act stuff and be done with it. I think my car was in with Ford for close to a month getting this sorted out. A proper twin disk is what the Boss needs IMO. McLeod.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel