The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Dealership Bricked My Boss

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

So a few days ago I noticed the airbag lights came on in my 2013 SBY Boss 302. They had replaced the airbags as part of the recall back in September. I assumed that this would be related to that service and would be under warranty.

In the time between this morning when I dropped the car off and when they replaced the airbags the car has been re-tuned, and had an emissions dyno plugged into it multiple times, as well as being scanned with Forscan. NONE of those devices had any problems reading the VIN or talking to the appropriate modules.

About 15-minutes after dropping the car off I get a call that the tune I have on the car is causing problems with their IDS and they can't read the processor. Odd.

So I go down and plug in Forscan then turn the key on. Every light on the dash turns on, then a "Check Charging System" error pops up, Forscan is then unable to talk to the ELM scanner. I think, "Huh, that's odd." I fuss with trying to get FORScan to connect for a few minutes then decide I'll plug the SCT tuner in and see if it can talk. Key off, unplug the ELM scanner, plug in the SCT, key on. It boots up and I go to read vehicle information.

IMG_4286.JPG

Nada. SCT can't even get a VIN. I try to crank the car and it won't even turn over. I am now the proud owner of a giant yellow brick.

Long story short they ended up re-flashing the entire computer.

IMG_4288.JPG

Now the car will start, but with the CobraJet Intake, cams, throttle body, headers, etc., it is extremely unhappy. Lean backfiring at idle and I doubt it will even drive, and I don't know that I'd want it driven. I don't want them grenading the motor and blaming it on me.

Of course my tuning guy says he's never seen that strategy before and SCT is not listing it as a supported calibration. So now I have to figure out if that's even the right calibration for the car.

FML.

Update:
The dealership called and stated that the Occupant Control Module under the seat doesn't have any communication with the RCM. So they need to remove the seat and replace the OCM in the seat and that it's going to be $1,900 with parts and labor.

For that money I could buy some NOS Boss 302 seats.

Plus I STILL have to go and pay another $450 for a new tune.

My little voice told me to just plug in Forscan and see what the problem was on my own. Which if I had done that I'd have come to the same conclusion and have a car I could drive. This is what being lazy gets you.

UPDATE 2:
So, on a whim since I didn't listen to my little voice last time and it cost me $142 to have my car bricked, I decided to listen to it this time. I was told that since the ECU was re-flashed back to stock that the SCT tuner wouldn't re-upload the tune file since it was married to the previous one. But my little voice said go ahead and try it anyway, and after confirming that doing so would not brick the ECU again, but would just give me an error, I figured I'd give it a shot.

So lo' and behold it uploaded everything and she fired right up. Had a buddy bring me back to the stealership after dropping my other car off and drove her home. Of course the airbag lights were now not lit.

What is interesting is I tried to read the ECU with Forscan while it was stock after having been reflashed. For some reason it would not talk to anything. Couldn't even read the VIN. Plugged in the SCT tuner and it read everything just fine.

Now that the car is "post-tune," I'll try to read it again with Forscan and see if I get better results.

My cost for the Occupant Control Module is over $1,000!!!!! So hopefully the lights will just stay off and this was a temporary glitch.

Last edited:

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
It seems dangerous to go to a ford Dealer!! Never heard of problems with custom tunes and air bag replacments. But in general I stay far away from Ford dealers (at least down here in Chile).

In the V6L
Ok, so I have a bit of familiarity with IDS, Forscan and SCT. Here's what I see: the dealership's IDS couldn't make sense of the calibration on the ECU because it didn't match the manifest, so it declined to go further until the ECU was fixed. They fixed the ECU by installing the latest firmware, which is the part number on the IDS screen shot. That part number is not the "strategy" - it's just a part number. What SCT needs is either the real internal part number or the catch code, which is a four letter string that's buried in the code itself. The original catch code is on the outside of the module, but it's not relevant any more.

The alternative is to find someone that uses HP Tuners kit to do tuning - they can just download whatever is in the ECU, change it and load the changes back - unlike SCT they don't rely on a fixed baseline file that matches what Ford published.

Ok, so I have a bit of familiarity with IDS, Forscan and SCT. Here's what I see: the dealership's IDS couldn't make sense of the calibration on the ECU because it didn't match the manifest, so it declined to go further until the ECU was fixed. They fixed the ECU by installing the latest firmware, which is the part number on the IDS screen shot. That part number is not the "strategy" - it's just a part number. What SCT needs is either the real internal part number or the catch code, which is a four letter string that's buried in the code itself. The original catch code is on the outside of the module, but it's not relevant any more.

The alternative is to find someone that uses HP Tuners kit to do tuning - they can just download whatever is in the ECU, change it and load the changes back - unlike SCT they don't rely on a fixed baseline file that matches what Ford published.

Good information to know.

When I went to the car, there was no calibration on the computer at all. They had somehow managed to erase it. The ECU didn't even have a VIN. I suppose the "tech" tried to reflash and then realized maybe he shouldn't do that and then stopped mid-way through the process. Hence why the car had no calibration at all.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Thats what I like about SCT. You start with your "stock tune" Which is saved in the gismo... And I saved a copy to the cloud, and a back up drive just incase. Now my sct has 1/2 a dozen tunes on it in any case, So have some spares.....

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel