The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Decal Issue - Alternatives

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I have been reading BMO this winter and have read several threads about problems with decals falling off or peeling off. Although I know Ford will replace them - its only a matter of time until the replacements are peeling off (my assumption).

Yesterday the "0" in 302 on the driver side disappeared. I guess my Boss won't be the only one to never have decal issues however I am thinking about talking to a custom auto painter about removing the decals painting on the graphics.

Has anyone else had them painted on the car? Is there any aftermarket decals available that will last or hold up better than the factory? Any thoughts?

jneuman said:
I have been reading BMO this winter and have read several threads about problems with decals falling off or peeling off. Although I know Ford will replace them - its only a matter of time until the replacements are peeling off (my assumption).

Yesterday the "0" in 302 on the driver side disappeared. I guess my Boss won't be the only one to never have decal issues however I am thinking about talking to a custom auto painter about removing the decals painting on the graphics.

Has anyone else had them painted on the car? Is there any aftermarket decals available that will last or hold up better than the factory? Any thoughts?

I have looked into having them painted on professionally. To have it done right is going to be expensive. The right way is to have the whole car redone with the stripes and cleared over. The quote I got was 9500.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Bob White Decals offers Boss stripe kits, less expensive than Ford replacements.
Will they last longer? dunno.
I have not had any stripe issues with my '12 so far.

four-walling

Kerry, San Diego
On the 2012's, the "BOSS 302" is part of the artwork of the stripe decal and will never fall off.

How about putting 2012 stripes on a 2013?

:)

Now, that would be really different.

Neither have I but I have seen what has happened to the 2013's. I would like to have mine painted as well but I am sure the cost are keeping that from happening.

four-walling said:
On the 2012's, the "BOSS 302" is part of the artwork of the stripe decal and will never fall off.

How about putting 2012 stripes on a 2013?

:)

Now, that would be really different.

I was thinking about this. I just replaced the passenger fender piece ($280 ouch) this was my fault though so replacment was on me. my hood is starting to peel after being hit with a rock or something I'd like to see if that is warranty work as the hood pieces are $500.

But all the while I was thinking the 2012 stripes wouldn't do this.

I was thinking of using a matte clear vinyl wrap over the whole car to give it a unique finish and protect the paint and decals, but I have a feeling the wrap would adhere too well to the decals and rip them off with it when I had to replace it. But if the decals are going to fall off anyways....why not?!

One thing you could look into is making your own decals. If you didn't try to mimic the pinstripe and just did a solid shape it might not be that hard for the hood piece, and I would love to have a matte black C-stripe. I think if you contacted Pete (trackdaysolutions.com) he might be able to get you the letters and numbers, maybe more. Then you just make the stripes yourself and cover they letters and stripes with a piece of clear. It would be a lot of work, but if the entire decal set would cost you around 2k anyways then I think it would be worth it for a few hundred dollars in material.

Kicking myself for thinking I could go through a touch free pressure wash and decals would be fine. I am sure it was this bold and not too smart of an idea.

The thought of not being able to just cruise through a car wash and not have to worry about decals is a drag. I just got a sample pack from Croftgate to do a waterless wash on the car so I am hoping its not too difficult to wash at home and further prolong the decals.

That's an interesting idea putting the 12' decals on the 13'..... :)

i went through the touchless all winter with no issues to my decals. my issues came from other things.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel