The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Decals already peeling off

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I have had my boss for 4 days and the left side boss 302 decals are peeling in several places. I am not happy about that. It should be under warranty but I hate the thought of the idiots at ford dealership messing with the car to install a new one.

No choice but to take it back to the dealer and have them fix it. Unless you want to pay out of pocket and those decals are not cheap.

GA
5 DOT 0 said:
No choice but to take it back to the dealer and have them fix it. Unless you want to pay out of pocket and those decals are not cheap.

+1. It sounds like they were not installed correctly. That is what the warranty is for. I know Shelby owners that have had decal stripe problems in the past too. Hopefully Ford is not cutting corners to catch up on Boss production.

PJWANNABE said:
+1. It sounds like they were not installed correctly. That is what the warranty is for. I know Shelby owners that have had decal stripe problems in the past too. Hopefully Ford is not cutting corners to catch up on Boss production.

Hope not, you would think that would be more of a problem in the winter there. Bruno sorry to hear your dealer is not the best, mine has a speciality guy come in and do the stipes when needed. In every service need I have had so far they treated me like I bought a 150K sports car.

Interesting that they painted the roof and spoiler, and put vinyl everywhere else. The hood would seem to be most vulnerable to breakdown with the heat and sun exposure.

I noticed a few bubbles in my side C-stripe yesterday on the passenger side. I pushed some of them out. Not sure if they're starting to let go or not, but if they do they're covered for 3 years as was stated. Given the high performance of this car at the price, if all I have for warranty claims are a couple stripes, I'm still impressed.

302BOB said:
I was very disappointed when I learned that the stripes & hood were vinyl decals & not paint. If this was a cost saving move by Ford shame on them!

Why shame on them? Do you know how much more it would be to accurately mask each car for paint? And deal with all the defects that could/would occur? The top is easily masked and the wing was painted off line. If Ford didn't look at cost saving measures the car would be too expensive. The decals are fine if they're applied correctly and maintained. I'd have preferred a smoother paint finish under the decal on the hood. That's my only complaint.

Do you think the car looks better without the decals?

I saw some photos of 302's in a lot waiting to go into the trim shop for decals. They looked a lot cleaner, at least without the side decals.

Everyone is big on heritage, but I like stealth. If my decals start bubbling, off they come.

It's the performance of the car that attracted me (car due in a week). If Ford were selling a modified GT with Boss decals, forget it.

The 69 hood was painted, almost the entire hood also the deck lid and taillight panel. The side C stripes were decals. The 70 was painted wide down the middle also a thin stripe next to it, same with trunk and TL panel. The rest was stripes running the hood to the rear.

The new stripes are painted vinyl and need to be applied in a different building then the assembly line. It could be but I do not see a big cost saving. It may make it easier on them not having a two tone hood (69's were painted over body color and no clear) so my guess is it more logistical then cost.

I wish my hood decal was coming off since I have to replace it with a flat black one.

cloud9 said:
I saw a Yellow Blaze Boss in town today Scott. Man it looks good in person 8)

It has really grown on me, still not thrilled with the goldish tint but I like it. So far outside of two Bosses I saw at Sebring I have not see any others on the road.

2012YellowBoss said:
cloud9 said:
I saw a Yellow Blaze Boss in town today Scott. Man it looks good in person 8)

It has really grown on me, still not thrilled with the goldish tint but I like it. So far outside of two Bosses I saw at Sebring I have not see any others on the road.
With all the black accents it looks great. I'm not crazy about the standard 5.0s but the Boss definitely. Yea I live in a city of 150,000 so didn't really expect to see many, but we've been voted "best small city to live" "best small city to do business", etc repeatedly over the past couple decades so not totally surprising that we'll have more than our fair share of Bosses lol. I know of one other CO/Bk but I don't think he drives it much so I haven't seen it on the road yet.

I too have had concern about these or any decals put on the Mustang. As a matter of fact, I've asked my salesman to look into having their body shop possibly paint the C-strip and hood for me to match. Any thoughts on the idea?

TMO Supporting Vendors