The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Decided on replacing springs. P or T? Opinions?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I have decided to lower my boss. I was going to use P springs but am now undecided on those or T springs. I hear the T is for looks mainly and not handling plus I really dont want the front dropped much. Anyone tried both?

I have the P springs and they work fine on both the street and track. I also wasn't looking to drop my front much and was more interested in lowering the rear which the P's did nicely. If you're going for looks go with the T springs. The P's do stiffen up the ride a bit but nothing bad. In fact the car now feels more like how I expected from the factory. On the track the P springs did reduce body roll and brake dive which is what I was looking for. Good luck with whichever spring you choose.

Maui
I had the p springs on originally then switched to the t-springs.. Basically the t-springs are similar to the stock springs in terms of ride quality. p-springs definitely felt stiffer. The front drop is pretty much the same when comparing the two, but the rear is dropped more with the t-springs ( about 0.5"more approximately). Stance of the t-springs looks perfect! I don't track my car so I was fine with it. You can't go wrong either way.. I already sold my p-springs or I'd offer.. Good luck

How much does instalation usually run? Anyone run a ingalls panhard? They are priced right but I don't want to buy junk.

Would think install would be about 200 or so assuming a shop can do it in 2 hours and charge 100 and hour. If you had the tools it would make more sense to do it yourself. As for the panhard bar I would get something that is a little more stout, the price of the ingalls' piece just seems a little sketchy to me. I have a Whiteline bar since I wasn't going to have rodends on a DD, otherwise I would have gone with Kenny Brown.

Maui
When I put in the p-springs, I didn't put in the panhard or lcas. The axle shifted a little bit to the driver side but because I wasn't tracking the car, I just did the drop. After I put the t-springs in with a friend, I got a BMR panhard and lca relocation bracket, and BBR (Blow by racing, billet) LCAs. If you are somewhat mechanically inclined you can do it yourself in your garage. You'd need to get some spring compressors, but overall it's not too bad.. My friend and I installed the t-springs in about 3 hrs and we did the panhard and LCAs another day (2 more hours). I'm sure a shop could do everything much faster..

In have the T springs, ride quality on the street is very close to stock and the rear drop is perfect IMO. On the track definitely less dive under hard braking as the front T springs are a progressive rate wind vs. the linear stock spring. Body roll is also reduced and overall the car feels more planted. Best of both worlds!

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Two quick questions. Has anyone found the spring rates for the T springs yet?? And are Linear better then progressive springs on the track?

Splatter said:
Two quick questions. Has anyone found the spring rates for the T springs yet?? And are Linear better then progressive springs on the track?

IMO I would think a progressive would be better for the track as it would reduce dive and roll better then a linear rate. Reason being, if it takes 200 pounds to compress and inch and the rate stays the same then what is stopping the spring from continuing to compress, say under hard braking in the front. I would think the progressive rate would curb this since it would take more force per inch to compress.

OLOABoss

AKA OLOABoss
There is a reason race cars run linear springs not progressive. Imagine rolling into a turn on the edge of adhesion and suddenly the spring rate increases.

Peter

OLOABoss said:
There is a reason race cars run linear springs not progressive. Imagine rolling into a turn on the edge of adhesion and suddenly the spring rate increases.

Peter
Progressive rate may not be optimum for the track but a great way to increase stiffness under hard breaking (compression) on the track and still offer a compliant ride on the way home.

geneva said:
In have the T springs, ride quality on the street is very close to stock and the rear drop is perfect IMO. On the track definitely less dive under hard braking as the front T springs are a progressive rate wind vs. the linear stock spring. Body roll is also reduced and overall the car feels more planted. Best of both worlds!
Hi Geneva,
Did you actually track the car with them?
I have ordered them and I am about to order sportlines because most everyone say they are too soft for the track...
Are you tracking the car with R compound or slicks or are you tracking it with street tires?
Would you have pics of the car on track braking or turning?
Thx
BTW: Why "Geneva"? I live in Geneva... :)

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
I have the T springs and I really like them gave me the drop I wanted and close to the factory springs in ride quality. Cant speak for how it works out on the track as I dont track the car.

TMO Supporting Vendors