The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Dedicated Track conversion

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Michigan
I need to figure out how to keep the OEM control function when I install the FP Sparco sterling wheel. Need to be able to switch to track setting since that is not the default setting. Hoping someone can chime in with suggestions.

The OEM controls can be remote mounted on the steering column.

I believe there is control module in the column, so you can't cut/splice there. The OE buttons on the steering wheel use resistance ladder logic. The quick fix is to retain the clock spring and the OE switches and relocate both. The more elegant solution is to trace the clock spring wires and add toggle switches to mimic OE function. The good news is you only need the L/R, U/D, OK and Mode +/- functions.

Last edited:
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Michigan
0d3a7b0a6d7557f2c5753dcc7d2e0fb1.jpg

Installed a differential oil catch can.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You may want to relocate to the opposite side. That's very close to the electrical connections to the Body Control Module and Magneride controller. Any leakage/overflow (which many of us have experienced on the S197 rear end) will be problematic.

Last edited:
I believe there is control module in the column, so you can't cut/splice there. The OE buttons on the steering wheel use resistance ladder logic. The quick fix is to retain the clock spring and the OE switches and relocate both. The more elegant solution is to trace the clock spring wires and add toggle switches to mimic OE function. The good news is you only need the L/R, U/D, OK and Mode +/- functions.

Thank you for the info. Looks like I will start by using the clock spring and retain the OE controls. Maybe someday trace the wires and make a harness with new button controls.

Will need to weld the quick release in order to retain the use of the clock spring. The Sparco hub interferes with the clock spring.

You may want to relocate to the opposite side. That's very close to the electrical connections to the Body Control Module and Magneride controller. Any leakage/overflow (which many of us have experienced on the S197 rear end) will be problematic.

Will do. Should be easy enough to relocate to the drivers side.

Thanks for the tip. Always appreciate your feedback.

Last edited:
I think there's enough play in the harness to remove/relocate the clock spring to a fixed location and use the bolt on sparco column adaptor for the race steering wheel.

That’s what I did for my initial attempt. The controls did not work. I noticed that the clock spring had a plug that could only be attached/ connected when the clock spring was restored to its original location.

These was no wire. It’s was direct connection plug in to the clock spring.

Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Michigan
That’s what I did for my initial attempt. The controls did not work. I noticed that the clock spring had a plug that could only be attached/ connected when the clock spring was restored to its original location.

These was no wire. It’s was direct connection plug in to the clock spring.

I haven't taken mine apart yet -- that must be the connection to the steering column control module, so the only solution I can think of is to trace the clock spring wires.

I haven't taken mine apart yet -- that must be the connection to the steering column control module, so the only solution I can think of is to trace the clock spring wires.

I’m trying to trace but no progress yet3451839059332f0f47930ba9ddbb0ea8.jpg

The good thing is that now I know I can mess with some component relocation to allow the OE controls I need to remain functional. Hope I can figure out the wire tracing.

Traced the wires today -- 2 of them, Yellow and Black go to the dash harness, so they are easy, the remainder go to the integrated control module connector. Left my notes at the shop. Will post up tomorrow.

AWSOME! Look forward to your schematics. THANKS

Test fit the new panel. All the OE controls are functional (wipers, turn signal and gauge controls now mounted on the center panel).

Used the clock spring ribbon to relocate the buttons.

New Ford Performance Sparco steering wheel installed. Have to decide where to mount the horn button.

658f0ad9b493fd9c423368b3ea231583.jpg

Last edited:
I purchased the FP tow hooks. Can someone share a photo on an open trailer using these. Are they fairly accessible.

be349b0d15b7635dfac7799ca07fee1a.jpg

The other option is to use these tire straps. Looks easier setup.

80c769397be44d2767f5376f129dadae.jpg

@moto has the wheel straps usage down. Maybe he can help out.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel