The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Dedicated Track conversion

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bummer. I did some searching and found this guy - http://shopcapaldiracing.com/fp350s-brake-duct-kit/

Wonder if it would fit a normal 350(R). Those brake duct intakes are badass on the FP350S!

I don't believe this kit includes the hub mounted ducts -- it shows only the facia ducts. The GT4 cars use the stock 350(R) facia ducts, cut short and then attach 4" cooling ducts, rather than these that are used on the FP350S

DFW, TX
Thanks Spartan, I had thought that might be the case. But the Trackspec ones have two vertical ribs, whereas that version looked more like some kind of central rib, which made me wonder if it was different. Btw, I'm still hoping for you to figure out your mode selection problem. Only because I feel awful that you built that car and are now stuck in that situation haha.
I contacted trackspec and they do not make the 350S center duct.

Looking at pictures, there have been various iterations of hoods and ducts. Of course the current GT4 stuff must be the exactly the same for homologation purposes.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

I believe Watson racing may be the source for the hood vent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalkc71f14a04a17b4ff2bf1994f37301bd1.jpg

The owner of this car said that his vent was purchased from Watson it looks the same

DFW, TX
I believe Watson racing may be the source for the hood vent.

The owner of this car said that his vent was purchased from Watson it looks the same

Contacted Watson and they said they can't sell the center vent yet until more FP350S customer cars are delivered. In a month or so Ford will decide who will sell the vent to the public, FP or Watson. So maybe I wait for that part, as the GT4 piece being difficult to get my hands on. Its interesting the center vent was not part of the original S car bodywork.

Will be dropping of my car at Capaldi Racing on Monday. Hope the can fix my mode selection issue.

Meanwhile look what they are working on.a49511eaa380682cbe69a8ef7e58261c.jpgfbdb2ebb63e5fd2483e21d6b664be29a.jpgb5764e96de3612c7fbf8c9ab25b23037.jpg06dac7b4e772e26baf9f850624ea5ed1.jpg9f92224f5f7a0c152335a39751470d4e.jpg

These were 3D printed. They have a quote for tooling but won’t likely go to market as the economics don’t make sense due to the small population of potential buyers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good luck with the Mode issue.

Seems like making a mold from the 3D Print and laying up Carbon Fiber would be a better route for low production, and reduce un-sprung mass.

I am working with them to allow me to pay for the tooling so we can make CF parts. Ill know more next week. I believe we have a half dozen guys that would be interested in this solution. The work done in CAD and 3D printing is very impressive. If they don't use the prototype it all goes to waste. One of the challenges is that the Brembo rotor ID is different compared to AP.

Re @8250RPM post, they need to ensure the gap to the rotor ID is minimized. The CF GT4 ducts do a way better job than the pics of the FP350S versions

I agree. I’m not impressed by the FP350S ducts myself. They don’t even enclose the rotor ID, plus I’m not crazy about the huge duct housing on the Watson design.

The Capaldi ducts are designed for oem GT350 brembos. They are over 1 inch to small.
But they enclose the rotor ID much like the GT4 design. As mentioned the problem is they are to small for AP rotors. [emoji853]
This could be resolved.

Here’s the oem rotor vs the AP rotor I.D.
ee482d1e92f3f4f8df37178373348687.jpga6eab7c032b9d80eb4566e4815b4f245.jpg
d809a04b8187e59e783da4cf02e0eea7.jpg9e9bfb21fb9b098a886085285872e11f.jpg

Last edited:
Capaldi are selling the facia ducts and hoses for the FP350S, which will fit the GT350/R. If they want to maximize their volume they should design the hub ducts, separately, for both AP and Brembo.

You are correct.
On the GT4 though they keep the OEM grille facia ducts and attach the hose directly to the duct.
93b75f1913bac0dec3227e2e70439374.jpga12d5871b2b00f4df7fcf44b0eb89ccc.jpg

I like the FP350S facia brake air deflectors.
0ed7b320ab4ac76a4ed1fc84fc30bcb6.jpg

The 3D printed brake cooling part is made for the Brembo stock setup. Won’t work for those using the AP setup.

I am not sure if the Capaldi fascia ducts are a replacement for the factory ducts or they just supply the adapters to the factor ducts.

I had a heating / cooling shop make up the adapters from the factory duct to the hose in aluminum. Cost almost nothing. The guy did it during his lunch break. I did cut up my factory duct though. I think Ford wants like $70 for the factory duct.

upload_2018-6-5_13-57-16.png

Notice there is a hole for a plastic pin that holds the duct in place. Impossible to get to it though with the spoiler on.

With the hose attached and taped up seams

upload_2018-6-5_13-57-53.png

Cut the factory duct short since its a steep angle from the spoiler to just inside center of the wheel well. Want to run the hose next to frame so keeping the duct short helps minimize the angle.

On the hub side I had him make me a bracket that I attached to the bottom two shock bolts. Just have to remove the shock bolts to get the bracket in

upload_2018-6-5_14-1-13.png

He used stainless steel instead of aluminum since he said that the 90 deg bend will stress at the shock and could tear over time. Notice the bolt head at the hub that would keep the bracket from moving towards the rotor.

upload_2018-6-5_14-2-32.png

I see now from what is being discussed that the distance here from the bracket to the rotor is probably not optimal, too far away but that would be easy to remedy by extending the alu tube through the bracket up to the hub and even possibly more oval. Was surprised how malleable alu really is.

upload_2018-6-5_14-4-27.png

It does feed air to the center of the hub though
This was a prototype piece we did in Alu just for fit. Redid the bracket in SS later

upload_2018-6-5_14-6-4.png

Here it is with the hose hooked up

Another thing I learned. Remove the pin that pulls the pop rivet together and put it in by hand and then use a ball peen hammer to crush the other end of the rivet. Make for a almost smooth finish. Impossible to do with the broken off pin in there.

I used 3" hose because of the clearance issues at full lock of the steering. It interferes no matter what you do. I just used a piece of wood and gently squished the hose into an oval where the tire hits the hose. You have max 1 to 1.25 inches from the tire to the frame at full lock. Hose has wire in it and forms nicely. Its street driven and I am just careful at full lock to go very slowly. 3" also fits the factory duct perfectly. Going to 4" you would have to make the adapter more oval.

I might go back and replace the hose with 4" now that it seems to work and rubbing except at full lock isn't really an issue. Might also try the GT350S ducts in the spoiler out front to help duct more air at the inlet up front. Mine is black so it won't look too bad.

Hope this helps someone! Just talk to some heating / cooling place that makes their own ducts. The guy that did mine actually had fun doing it for me knowing what it was for!

Last edited:

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel