The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Dedicated Track conversion

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GT4 hood too or do you think the GT350 hood vent is going to cut it? Or are you doing something completely different?

I’m going to install a FP350S hood vent. It’s a carbon fiber part that requires cutting the hood. The GT 4 carbon fiber hood is $18,000.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I called a friend who works ar Roush and asked him his opinion on changing front brakes on the GT350 to accommodate 18" wheels. This is the response from their Race Team brake engineer.

It’ll change brake feel for sure, but people swap calipers all the time without replacing the booster or ABS module. The booster is a dead simple device, often times the same part is used on several totally different vehicle models. The ABS circuitry operates in a closed loop system – there’s nothing there for you to adjust anyway.

The biggest important relationship is going to be the size of the master cylinder to the caliper’s piston size, which will affect travel and feel (smaller caliper piston surface area == sharper, grabbier brakes, and vice versa), but it’s very unlikely that it will push you out of a comfortable operating range.

So swap those calipers and feel comfortable. Don’t forget to bleed them thoroughly.

I called a friend who works ar Roush and asked him his opinion on changing front brakes on the GT350 to accommodate 18" wheels. This is the response from their Race Team brake engineer.

It’ll change brake feel for sure, but people swap calipers all the time without replacing the booster or ABS module. The booster is a dead simple device, often times the same part is used on several totally different vehicle models. The ABS circuitry operates in a closed loop system – there’s nothing there for you to adjust anyway.

The biggest important relationship is going to be the size of the master cylinder to the caliper’s piston size, which will affect travel and feel (smaller caliper piston surface area == sharper, grabbier brakes, and vice versa), but it’s very unlikely that it will push you out of a comfortable operating range.

So swap those calipers and feel comfortable. Don’t forget to bleed them thoroughly.

What kind of brakes are you referring to?
Brembo?
AP?
We have 4 wheel disc brakes already. The master cylinder that is already on the car will work with any BBK you choose.
If we had rear drum brakes like older Mustangs or 4 piston front and 2 or 1 piston rear then the master cylinder would need to be changed.

The booster is just pedal assist. Operating off of engine vacuum.

I made my own dive planes/canards. I used an aluminum composite material called Dibond. Attached to the bumper with 3 aluminum brackets on each side and stainless hardware. I will need to support it on top of the larger front splitter to complete the mounting. Lets see if it holds up. It does not weigh much as its much lighter than aluminum.1faced7c45be67e5727ce475d38a8f35.jpgdbdefb006ee97826e5e0bedc6ed454d0.jpg78843f396347706d8a7c3c1e9df00fbf.jpg

You can buy them from the manufacturer in 4’x 8’ sheets. I have an ample supply if you need any let me know what size you want. I’ll be happy to ship them to you. $5.00 a square foot.

As an alternative you could probably buy them at some sign shops. I know these are used for outdoor signage. I’ve even use them as exterior and interior facia for commercial buildings. They look great and hold up well.

yotah1

Ford Employee
Detroit
How is your CF hood coming along? I'd rather buy your hood if it is going to be ready in time for next season in MI. Same thing with the splitter.

I'm going to Roush in late February to get the splitter and CF canards and hood done. A friend of mine is their CF master over there so we'll build the first splitter and canards as test pieces on my car, and we'll mold my hood at the same time. Then I'm aiming at 4-5 weeks of work to model the vents to match the hood. So, around April I would say things should start to look good :)
And we'll still have snow here anyway ahahah

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
I wrapped one of the canards with fake carbon fiber. I’m debating if I should take it off or leave it.805138e4828b46bf2b9423ee98d6e311.jpg

Leave it on. Both @captdistraction and I have tried painting aluminum wheel spats and such that are on the front of the car, exposed to lots of rocks etc. The paint gets destroyed fast. Cheap wrap is the best protection that won't make you rework them 100x

TMO Supporting Vendors