The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Dedicated track wheel/tires

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Interesting piece of information in this video!
I doubled checked myself, almost all the cars with great steering feel have smaller tires up front

http://youtu.be/wik6h8TBrgs

13Boss#3328 said:
Interesting piece of information in this video!
I doubled checked myself, almost all the cars with great steering feel have smaller tires up front

http://youtu.be/wik6h8TBrgs

Agreed, but most cars that have better lap times have wider tires. Also, adding caster will add "feel" to the steering (assuming you go with a caster/camber plate)

neema said:
Agreed, but most cars that have better lap times have wider tires. Also, adding caster will add "feel" to the steering (assuming you go with a caster/camber plate)

Is it ok to get caster/camber plate with stock suspension? I see people get them when they lower their cars

drano38

Wayne
13Boss#3328 said:
Is it ok to get caster/camber plate with stock suspension? I see people get them when they lower their cars

Yes, if you track, they'll keep you from destroying the outside edge of your tires. I installed MMC plates before its first track day on the stock suspension. This spring I changed the suspension, and still have MMC plates.
So a very worthwhile mod before or after suspension mods.

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
NFSBOSS said:
Are you using these as your street tires? They work terrific on the track but not so much on the street. After my first track day the wear on the tires did not play well with grooves and irregularities on the street. Jason had track days on those tires so I wouldn't judge them as street tires. There are a lot of tires that are better on the street.

Those were already well worn when I saw them, and I think he had one more track day on them...so that might not be a fair assessment of the RS-3s. I'm running 275s and 0 toe...no driveability issues for me, but my tires are round and wearing evenly across the tread.

mcmmotorsports

Resident Mental Patient
I've raced with R888's but that was a much lighter car, Porsche 944. They were good for about 14-16 heat cycles then junk. You can find them new pretty cheap these days.

Bay Area
NFSBOSS said:
Are you using these as your street tires? They work terrific on the track but not so much on the street. After my first track day the wear on the tires did not play well with grooves and irregularities on the street. Jason had track days on those tires so I wouldn't judge them as street tires. There are a lot of tires that are better on the street.

I only used them for a little while. They were worn but I got some time on them. But I did drive them to and from the track. Maybe Ill try them agian and start fresh.

TMO Supporting Vendors