The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Dedicated track wheel/tires

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I am looking some wheels and tires track setup

I am thinking of:
305/35-18 rear
285/30-18 front

I found Toyo Proxes R888 that can fit the bill.

Wheels, I know BBS are light and great, but too much money, I can spend up to $400 per wheel

Forgestar vs Enkei

Note: the reason I am not going square setup is that I have to get adjustable front sway bar not to get too much oversteer, but because I am keeping my stock setup.

What do you think?

Does the above setup sound good, or shall I go with 275/35-18 front instead? So that I can keep the 30 units difference between the front/rear tires stock setup??

I just need some guidance here, before I spend $2400 on wheels and tires.

After researching a little more, it seems like Enkei PF01 18 x 9.5 35mm offset front and 18 x 10.5 38mm offset rear will be a good option

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
I think the 285/30-18 is too short at 24.8", In that regard the 275/35 might work better.

I don't have personal experience with the R888s, but they have a reputation for overheating and getting greasy quickly.

I think the rim width you choose would decide between Forgestars and Enkeis. Enkeis, unless custom, come in just a few sizes/offsets for the tires you are talking about.

Do you have any suspension plans? I'd want that figured out too, before spending $2400...

drano38

Wayne
Enkei PF01 are a very popular track wheel. 9.5" front w/ 35mm offset and 10.5" rear with 38mm offset will get your staggered setup.
As for tires, also look into Nitto 555RII. Front 285/35/18, Rear 305/35/18. A search here will give several hits for them.

Depending on how much you plan to track the Boss, square isn't a bad idea. For ~$200, you can get a Strano adjustable front or rear bar. Rotating tires front to rear for max tire life will pay for that $200 bar pretty quick. I've got front and rear Strano bars for my square setup, and they are a good match for it. They work well with the Koni Yellow struts/Steeda Sport springs I recently installed too. But if you're set on staying staggered, that obviously works well too.

Grant 302 said:
I don't have personal experience with the R888s, but they have a reputation for overheating and getting greasy quickly.
I've read this numerous times including flyboygsxr using them on the Ring in Germany.

Are you driving or trailering your Boss to the track?

For R comps look at the Nitto NT555R II's

For sticky street tires look at Hankook RS3's or the new BFG Rival. The Enkei's are very popular and are what I'm using with Hankook's. I'm planning on trying the Rival or Nitto next.

NFSBOSS said:
I've read this numerous times including flyboygsxr using them on the Ring in Germany.

Are you driving or trailering your Boss to the track?

For R comps look at the Nitto NT555R II's

For sticky street tires look at Hankook RS3's or the new BFG Rival. The Enkei's are very popular and are what I'm using with Hankook's. I'm planning on trying the Rival or Nitto next.

I drive my Boss to the track, I plan to put my track setup on at the track!, so will have total of 8 tires/wheels with me ( 4 on 4 off)

Yesterday I spun and dug a moderate size hole in the grass of turn 5B at Grattan raceway. So my left rear tire started leaking air and I and my wife had a hell of a difficult time trying to drive back to Detroit, had to stop 10 times to keep inflating it, until I got myself fix a flat can which helped a lot.

So I learned my lesson in the hard way, also my wife approved the dedicated tire/wheel setup after that bad experience...lol ;D

I want staggered because I will still use my stock setup for street and also don't want to keep playing with the sway bars too.

I might even go with street extreme performance like RE-11A, RS-3 or Rivals.
The dual functionality and their rain performance of street tires is always a plus too.

By the way, my instructor was Jason Von Kluge, a very nice and humble man, he came with his Boss 302S and I can tell you this, he literally passed every car on the track!
Blazing fast! It was a Porsche club event.

So going back to the tire/wheel thing, I am getting Enkei PF01 18 x 9.5 35mm offset front and 18 x 10.5 38mm offset rears and still wondering about the size of the tires.

No immediate plans to change suspension setup, in addition to gaining more seat time, I think, the wheels/tires modification is the best bang for your buck.

NFSBOSS said:
Start with the Rival's in 275/35/18 and 295/35/18 and report back. ;D

But that is only 20 units difference compared to 30 units in stock setup?
Is that ok or will be more oversteer biased?

NFSBOSS said:
Those units are mm's and you'll be fine. My Hankook's are 265/285 and the Nitto's are 285/305 and nobody is having an issue with oversteer.

How did you like 265/285 setup? It is 10 mm more at the front, did that fix the factory understeer? Made it more neutral?

13Boss#3328 said:
How did you like 265/285 setup? It is 10 mm more at the front, did that fix the factory understeer? Made it more neutral?
They worked really well. I'm no expert on this subject and don't have a great deal of experience but I can tell you they are a big improvement over the stock Pirelli's. My car had more oversteer than understeer with the stock tires and it's very neutral now.

Bay Area
I have ARK R8 rims.

http://rpmware.com/catalog/group/58871

Tires well everybody has their opinion of what they prefer. I had Hankook RS-3s and I wasnt super stoked on them. But then again it could have been the size I had 285/35/18

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
byronj said:
I have ARK R8 rims.

http://rpmware.com/catalog/group/58871

Tires well everybody has their opinion of what they prefer. I had Hankook RS-3s and I wasnt super stoked on them. But then again it could have been the size I had 285/35/18

Jason had those wheels. Looked great in person.

What was it you didn't like about the RS-3s? My only complaint is that they're relatively quiet at the limit.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Texas
13Boss#3328 PM me if you want some feedback on the Toyo's and the Enkei's as that is exactly what I went with for my first setup. It's not a bad setup...the Enkei's are great, although the lug whole size is so small you have to use a special socket if you don't want to scratch up the rims and they are easy to scratch. PM me and we can talk more.

Bay Area
Grant 302 said:
Jason had those wheels. Looked great in person.

What was it you didn't like about the RS-3s? My only complaint is that they're relatively quiet at the limit.

Yeah I bouth them from Jason. They look way better on the car. With the RS-3s I think it was the wide and sidewall. I could feel every bump and groove and the car would track the groove where it felt like I was fighting to steer it. I am going to find another tire and go with 265/40/18

I went with the 18x10.5" PF01s with nitto's 305/35/18 NT01s all around. I ran a 1/4" spacer up front to help clear the strut and trimmed off part of the swaybar endlink stud and everything fit well at 2.1° of camber. After looking at some pictures from the latest trackday, I should have ran even more camber (this is with stiffer swaybars and 530/350 springs).

IMG_2320.jpg

IMG_2322.jpg

neema said:
I went with the 18x10.5" PF01s with nitto's 305/35/18 NT01s all around. I ran a 1/4" spacer up front to help clear the strut and trimmed off part of the swaybar endlink stud and everything fit well at 2.1° of camber. After looking at some pictures from the latest trackday, I should have ran even more camber (this is with stiffer swaybars and 530/350 springs).
Nice. Can you please post a link to the brake kit your using?

byronj said:
Yeah I bouth them from Jason. They look way better on the car. With the RS-3s I think it was the wide and sidewall. I could feel every bump and groove and the car would track the groove where it felt like I was fighting to steer it. I am going to find another tire and go with 265/40/18
Are you using these as your street tires? They work terrific on the track but not so much on the street. After my first track day the wear on the tires did not play well with grooves and irregularities on the street. Jason had track days on those tires so I wouldn't judge them as street tires. There are a lot of tires that are better on the street.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel