The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Degree of alignment possible with stock hardware/factory parts?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Spain
I would like to align the wheels on my daily driver for a slightly more track oriented setup, as I've started tracking it a bit now (depending on how soon Covid19 restrictions are relaxed here in Spain, I'm hoping for a trackday every second month or so, so most of the time I will be driving on the street).

I have a recommendation for a suitable alignment kindly provided by a member here, and I'm wondering if anyone happens to know what's the maximum amount of negative camber and toe in I can get with the stock setup on a 2020 GT 5.0 car, without installing third party camber plates? If it's adjustable enough for my "slightly more track oriented setup" consisting of the following recommendation, it would make things much easier for me in the beginning now:

Front alignment
2.1 inches of negative camber
1/16 of an inch toe

Rear alignment
1.25 inches of negative camber
1/8 of an inch toe, minimum

Car has the optional Magneride suspension installed from Ford. I'm not sure, but I hope that does not matter?

JDee

Ancient Racer
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
5 miles from Mosport
Camber is typically reported in degrees. Those numbers look like degree numbers to me. IF I'm correct on that, you won't get -2.1 degrees of camber with stock strut mounts, you'll need camber plates. You are going to need camber plates eventually, I'd strongly urge you to just add them now. That's my experience.

Those toe numbers are easily achieved with stock parts.

Bay Area
what was already stated. To get the negative camber you’ll need CC plates. i run a street and track setting and have a home made tool that puts it right where I want it.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Spain
Camber is typically reported in degrees. Those numbers look like degree numbers to me. IF I'm correct on that, you won't get -2.1 degrees of camber with stock strut mounts, you'll need camber plates. You are going to need camber plates eventually, I'd strongly urge you to just add them now. That's my experience.

Those toe numbers are easily achieved with stock parts.

Thank you, I got it confirmed now that you are right, the numbers should have been degrees. I'm sure you're right I should add the camber plates, but currently it looks like I would have to be installing them myself, which would make it the most complicated project in my hobby mechanic career so far.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Spain
The rear is fully adjustable for camber and toe. Front toe is adjustable from the factory. You will need camber plates to adjust camber, it is not adjustable from the factory.

Okay, that's bad luck for me. Thank you for the information.

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
Camber plates can be done by a Hobby Mechanic. You will need a jack, jack stands, basic tools and a spring compressor. The alignment after the install will need to be done at an alignment shop.
Watch a few videos and then decide if you want to tackle the job. Good luck.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Awk,

Your Ford Dealership should be able to do this, also , if you decide not to tackle it yourself.. Good luck and we all look forward to hearing about your track events in 2021.

Last edited:

JDee

Ancient Racer
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
5 miles from Mosport
Thank you, I got it confirmed now that you are right, the numbers should have been degrees. I'm sure you're right I should add the camber plates, but currently it looks like I would have to be installing them myself, which would make it the most complicated project in my hobby mechanic career so far.

As others have said it's not beyond the realm of possibility for a hobby mechanic, it's actually pretty straightforward. But spring compressors are needed, and they have to be treated with a great deal of respect, a compressed spring coming loose is potentially very dangerous. There is a tremendous amount of stored energy in that spring when it's compressed tightly.

The pros use tools that make the job safer, but the average home guy is not likely going to have that type of equipment. Any decent auto repair shop does this work as a matter of course, strut replacement is pretty common with cars over a few years old. I personally won't do it anymore, I pull the strut/spring as a unit and take it to my local auto repair shop buddy who has the equipment needed to do it safely. Takes him 5 minutes to safely do what it would take me a nerve wracking 20 minutes to do.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Minnesota
Dont be afraid of the camber plate install. It's not "hard". Just need the proper tools and some patience. Tons of YouTube videos to show you how. I installed Vorschlag plates on my GT350. Took about 4 hours. And I replaced the upper Spring mount plates on the struts.... thebforum can donyou as well.

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Bulgaria
I want to chime in with my street numbers for allignment:

Front:
Camber: -1.4 degree
Total Toe: -0.2 degree total toe out -0.1 per side

Rear:
Camber: - 1.4 degree
Total Toe: +0.2 dgree total toe in +0.1 per side

This made my car corner on rails super delighted with how the car handles.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel