The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Delrin spherical VS spherical LCA

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I'm looking at upgrading my LCA's, polly bushings on both ends, to a spherical polly setup. Spohn, as I'm sure others do, makes a bar with the delrin spherical bushing; the concept sounds interesting.Having the advantage of an articulating joint with reduced noise along with adjustability if the tolerances in the joint increase. I am wondering about the durability of these types of joints. The car is not my daily driver, sees about 5 to 8 track events per year, not too concerned about NVH. Will the joint hold up to the abuse or should I opt for the non-delrin spherical?

Thanks in advance!

I built a full race Datsun 510 many years back. Here's a link to a quality spherical bearing manufacturer/distributor that will help you make that decision:

http://bakerprecision.com/rodpick.htm

FYI, I used the Teflon lined NHBB spherical bearings.
Hope this helps.

Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Michigan
Cruiserfx said:
I'm looking at upgrading my LCA's, polly bushings on both ends, to a spherical polly setup. Spohn, as I'm sure others do, makes a bar with the delrin spherical bushing; the concept sounds interesting.Having the advantage of an articulating joint with reduced noise along with adjustability if the tolerances in the joint increase. I am wondering about the durability of these types of joints. The car is not my daily driver, sees about 5 to 8 track events per year, not too concerned about NVH. Will the joint hold up to the abuse or should I opt for the non-delrin spherical?

Thanks in advance!

If NVH isn't a concern, I'd go spherical -- lots of evidence that these improve track performance and are durable and adjustable.

IMO delrin is better than polyurethane, and is a halfway point between rubber (low noise but flexible) and a heim joint (no flex but noisy) they all have their applications.

Only negative I've ever seen with spherical bearings is clunk when the are fully worn. then you just replace them... with Rubber they just get softer over the years and with use you have less and less rubber due to surface wear. the system spring rate is higher with rubber so it might offer more stiffness but the feel and perfect geometry control of spherical is key.

Half way between would be Nylon / Delrin but that wears out much faster than the spherical bearings and does not offer all of the benefits.

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
I was curious why no one made a control arm with poly bushings and a bearing on the shaft to remove the twisting and associated wear on the bushings.

Apparently Detroit does for Chevys.

They hold the patent.

Has anyone seen anything similar for Mustangs?

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Texas
You can get a poly/spherical combo or delrin/spherical combo from Steeda. I have the delrin/spherical combo currently on my car. Delrin is rock hard, kind of feels like wood if you have never death with it before. They don't list the poly/spherical arm on their page but you can ask them to swap out the delrin for poly. I don't think I would do that as the delrin is better. The UCA is what will greatly increase your NVH and that will mainly be in only gear whine. If you still have that rubber bushing in the diff housing I wouldn't worry about it. The NVH increase will be minimal.

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
I have seen these.

What I was referring to is an arm with a bearing which allows the long shaft to rotate. This would appear to be a possible answer to premature wear on the poly bushings.

Under normal use, or what we do with the cars, the bushings have to absorb impact, vibration, rotation and the twisting motion when the axel rotates on the chassis.

The rotational stress could be eliminated or greatly reduced with a system like DS has. DS calls them their Swivel Link control arms.. The bearing I was referring to allows the two ends of the arm to pivot freely. The shaft twists removing the stress the twist puts on the poly bushings.

I was curious if anyone has seen this offered for our cars?? DS has these for most Camaros, nothing for Mustangs....yet.

http://www.detroitspeed.com/1978-1988-G-Body-Products/043101-rear-speed-kits.html

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel