The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Demon Brake Dust

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

After trying 4 different companies brake pads, the guys at G-Loc
hooked me up with a set of pads that I absolutely love. However the demon dust from these suckers seems to instantly embed itself into my wheel centers unlike anything I've ever seen. Has anyone found a way to clean this stuff off or something to put on the wheels to protect them. In the end I'll live with the killer dust if I have to, just hoping someone has found some type of miracle cleaner to keep my old heap looking presentable.

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
I have the super secret miracle brake dust wheel cleaner!

It's:

Bon Ami

:D

Doesn't even take a lot of elbow grease! I wet (damp) a paper towel and sprinkle the powder on it. PFC01 brakes are pretty nasty too. Especially if it gets wet. :rolleyes: Hawk pads no problem so far. Both on my year old APEX 18x11s in silver. Works great!

Test it in the barrel first...not everybody believes a powder can clean without scratching!

Grant 302

Yes exactly, stuff is tenacious,seems to weld itself on.
Especially when it gets wet. Brake/wheel cleaners work great on most dry dust. Get it wet and it's a whole 'nother story. Even with a good coating of wax. Found out the hard way when I went on a trip with the car dirty and it rained while we were gone. :( Luckily, I use the stuff in the house on a glass cooktop. Tested a spot and it came off easily. :D

I have the super secret miracle brake dust wheel cleaner!

It's:

Bon Ami

:D

Doesn't even take a lot of elbow grease! I wet (damp) a paper towel and sprinkle the powder on it. PFC01 brakes are pretty nasty too. Especially if it gets wet. :rolleyes: Hawk pads no problem so far. Both on my year old APEX 18x11s in silver. Works great!

Test it in the barrel first...not everybody believes a powder can clean without scratching!

The picture of the miracle cleaner didn't show up in your post, is it next to the Metric Cresent Wrench

Bon

In the V6L
Back when I was first doing track days in my BMW, I used PFC97 brake pads that were brutal on the rim finish, so I started wiping a thin coating of Vaseline on the rims before a track day and cleaning it off after. By the end of the day, my silver rims were black, but the brake dust just wiped right off with almost no effort. I did this for a couple of years and my wheel finish stayed perfect. After I switched to Pagid, I stopped having to worry about it.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
SoCal
After trying 4 different companies brake pads, the guys at G-Loc
hooked me up with a set of pads that I absolutely love. However the demon dust from these suckers seems to instantly embed itself into my wheel centers unlike anything I've ever seen. Has anyone found a way to clean this stuff off or something to put on the wheels to protect them. In the end I'll live with the killer dust if I have to, just hoping someone has found some type of miracle cleaner to keep my old heap looking presentable.

Which pad are you using? I use R16/R12 G-Locs and haven't had any issues...

Which pad are you using? I use R16/R12 G-Locs and haven't had any issues...
That's what I use also, they're fantastic, just that the dust from them is like none other that I've ever seen. If you have painted or powdercoated wheels, the dust gets a death grip on the coated surfaces.
I hope to use Grant 302's super secret recipe for cleaning them and maybe all my problems will be gone.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
SoCal
That's what I use also, they're fantastic, just that the dust from them is like none other that I've ever seen. If you have painted or powdercoated wheels, the dust gets a death grip on the coated surfaces.
I hope to use Grant 302's super secret recipe for cleaning them and maybe all my problems will be gone.

Lol...

I have BC Forged wheels without any special coating (that I'm aware of anyways) and the dust cleans off with just car soap and water. I run the GS1 pads on the street so I can switch back and forth for the track without having to clean the rotors. My street wheels are HRE's and the dust from the GS1's clean off with a waterless wash spray and a microfiber cloth. A ceramic coating was applied to the HRE wheels so that may help some.

I'm old school....I just wipe it off with water and a cloth and dry with a towel...wheels are long overdue with winter just passing...hope to get back in the swing of things.I waxed my wheels for a while but that didn't seem to make that much of a difference.At least my Boss wheels are a lot easier to clean than my Crown Vic honeycomb style rims!

I was worried about this but didn't have any trouble after my last event.
G-loc R10/R8
It did sprinkle a bit on the way home, not like driving in full on rain though.

Wheels are painted black, crazy amount of brake dust (my first time on track pads) but cleaned off easy with car wash soap/water/wash mitt that I only use for wheels.
Paint did not appear scratched at all.
I thought about applying some wax or a wheel sealant I have but didn't...they are only SVE wheels lol

Last edited:

Grant 302

Got it, I'll take the secret to my grave:cool: Leave it to the French to come up with the answer

:D Oui monsieur. I don't know if it's actually French. I still don't understand *how* it works without scratching, but it contains feldspar and a bunch of carbonates.

Back when I was first doing track days in my BMW, I used PFC97 brake pads that were brutal on the rim finish, so I started wiping a thin coating of Vaseline on the rims before a track day and cleaning it off after. By the end of the day, my silver rims were black, but the brake dust just wiped right off with almost no effort. I did this for a couple of years and my wheel finish stayed perfect. After I switched to Pagid, I stopped having to worry about it.

I use(d) vaseline on bare aluminum rims like Weld Draglites since it also prevents surface oxidation. Personally, I wouldn't want it on rims for the track, but it works great.

Grant 302

Wiped loose dust to show parts that are bonded and caked on:
39933868200_59fc7bc748_c.jpg

39933867140_4775a2f642.jpg

Not 100% clean, but you get the idea for a minute worth of effort.
40842119555_39fb51da79_c.jpg

The main thing to remember is that the dust you are removing *IS* abrasive, so don't use too much downward pressure and don't use the towel/cloth until it's loaded with removed dust. Let the powder do the work and shear the stuff off. Hope that helps!

TMO Supporting Vendors