The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Department of Weights and Measures

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OK, we all know the GT350 came in a little heavier than we hoped for and there appear to be limited opportunities to lighten it up, but I thought it would be helpful to create a repository of various weight adders and subtractors for the mods we are making. (e.g. a roll bar will add weight, but removing the stock rear seats and belts subtracts weight. Changing from the stock wheel/tire combo will also likely change weight)

I will start with the limited items I have delved into and welcome all others to contribute. I will keep this first post as a running list as other members post their findings.

Watson Engineering 4 point roll bar: +61 lbs.
Watson rear seat delete carpet kit: + 13 lbs.
Remove rear seats, brackets and belts (GT350): - 39 lbs.
Sparco Race seat/side mounts/slider: TBD
Momo Race seat, mounts, hardware and 6 point harness: 37 lbs.
Remove stock driver seat: -49 lbs.
Remove stock pass seat: -46 lbs.

06mach1's jacking plates: +4 lbs.

OEM GT350 Rear Wheel/Tire: 62 lbs.
OEM GT3530 Front Wheel/Tire: TBD
OEM GT350R Rear Wheel/Tire: 47 lbs.
OEM GT350R Front Wheel/Tire: 46 lbs.

Remove trunk liner: - 4 lbs.
Remove flat repair kit: -4 lbs.

Front GT350 rotor: 30 lbs
Rear GT350 rotor: 18 lbs

@Black Boss

LOL I love the title! The battery is another easy one to drop weight. @ArizonaBOSS just installed one of the really lightweight batteries. Not sure how that will work on the street running the accessories but maybe it's an easy enough swap to do when you install your race seat.

It's in the wrong spot but I wouldn't be surprised if WR offers a lightweight rear bumper like they did with the Boss 302S.

I also suspect Stoptech and others will be offering lighter weight two piece rotors in short order. More expensive for sure but there could be another 5 lbs per corner in weight savings potential.

Hopefully Tiger Racing makes a lightweight hood.

Drivers seat is 49lb. My guess is that the passenger seat may be a 1lb or so heavier due to the occupant gel pad and sensor.

Savings will depend on harness and race seat/mount choices.

My weights are here: https://trackmustangsonline.com/index.php?topic=10457.msg152220#msg152220

I estimate that my race seat install and passenger seat delete will offset the Roll Bar.

Last edited by a moderator:
Black Boss said:
Drivers seat is 49lb. My guess is that the passenger seat may be a 1lb or so heavier due to the occupant gel pad and sensor.

My weights are here: https://trackmustangsonline.com/index.php?topic=10457.msg152220#msg152220

I estimate that my race seat install and passenger seat delete will offset the Roll Bar.
I did pull your info for the seats above. I'll have to weigh my Sparco Evo seat setup for comparison. Your estimation of the net out on the roll bar, race seat and pass seat elimination sounds about right. One area I just realized we can gain on you "R" guys are the rear seats and belts. I did order the Watson carpet kit which will be an adder, but here were the weights from the Boss for comparison:

Rear seat delete carpet kit +12 lbs.
Remove rear seats and belts and factory mounts -54 lbs

Black Boss said:

Have you weighed the OEM CF wheel/tire combo? Will probably add a few pounds to run the N4SM aluminum track wheels. Just looking for more ways to narrow the gap ;)

cloud9 said:
Have you weighed the OEM CF wheel/tire combo? Will probably add a few pounds to run the N4SM aluminum track wheels. Just looking for more ways to narrow the gap ;)

Here's a link to my weight data for the CF R wheels, the 18" CCW (10.5" and 11") and 19" Forgestars (9" and 10"). The CF wheels are supposed to be 18lbs.

https://trackmustangsonline.com/index.php?topic=10457.75

Based on this I'd expect a quality aluminum wheel to be at about 5-6lbs heavier -- we'll see ;)

Black Boss said:
Here's a link to my weight data for the CF R wheels, the 18" CCW (10.5" and 11") and 19" Forgestars (9" and 10"). The CF wheels are supposed to be 18lbs.

https://trackmustangsonline.com/index.php?topic=10457.75

Based on this I'd expect a quality aluminum wheel to be at about 5-6lbs heavier -- we'll see ;)
Thanks I added the R wheel/tire weight to the first post.

Some additional info for GT350 owners. I pulled the rear seats, seat brackets and belts today as I'm starting the roll bar installation. Total weight savings is 39 lbs.

20160123_150344_zpsehzfhpxe.jpg

I also weighed the trunk floormat and flat repair kit which weigh 4 lbs each.

Not sure if this is just a list of GT350 parts, but it is in the Gt350 and S550 forum :p

I have a set of OEM front pads for the GT Performance pack. Things are crazy heavy, heaviest disc pads I think I've ever had. So I had to weigh them. 8 lbs 4oz !

th_IMG_1032_zpssf3u1aoc.jpg

th_IMG_1030_zpsgi2w85ea.jpg

th_IMG_1031_zpsdpbwmsli.jpg

While I have the GT350 calipers sitting here I decided to weigh them on the Official TMO digital bathroom scale. Plus I knew cloud9 would ask. ;) The official numbers with no fluid are:

Front: 10.9 lbs
Rear: 5.5 lbs

58789C30-09DB-4366-B002-9DDF80346A5D_zpsw6qdmq1l.jpg

It will be interesting to see if a quality two piece rotor like Stoptech or Brembo will weigh less than the stock rotors. I suspect they will but by how much?

LOL

Are the black ones the same as the Performance Pack GT Brembos?

Or has that question been answered already. LOL

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
SCGT500 said:
LOL

Are the black ones the same as the Performance Pack GT Brembos?

Or has that question been answered already. LOL
Not the same, need new hub carriers and the drum brake parking brake parts for the rear. Plus the rotors and all miscellaneous hardware. And I don't know if the PP wheels clear them.
Steve

TMO Supporting Vendors