The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Detail Question - Pagid Brake Dust

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

So I'm running Pagids and like others have deleted the rear brake dust shields. This has resulted in pretty massive brake residue build up on the rear wheels and I was hoping to get some advice on how to remove it. I bought some Sonax off Amazon based on positive reviews hoping that would do the trick but those Pagids are made of some seriously nasty stuff and the Sonax didn't even phase it. Any suggestions?

Are you running RS-56s on the rear? If so, then the residue is likely as much rotor material as pad dust. I have found no way to remove it short of lacquer thinner, which will harm the clear coat. Anything less hot, like mineral spirits, solvents, etc. will have no effect. YMMV.

It is not coming off. I have even tried acid based professional wheel cleaners that require gloves and goggles.

Hmmm, I've had no issues cleaning my wheels. I never run mine in the rain so maybe that has something to do with it. I use Mother's car wash and they wipe clean.

@PeteInCT

Last year I ran my car with the Pagids in the rain. I think the combo of the water and the heat kind of baked on the brake dust in some places and was extremely difficult to get off. I wound up using just ordinary soap and water with plastic style scouring pads and a lot of elbow grease. I eventually got it all off. I also put wax on the wheels which seems to help in cleaning them after a track day. The Forgestar F14 wheels look awesome but they area pain to clean.

I too run Pagid's on all four corners and can clean up the wheels just fine.

The problem I have is more or less the damn squealing of the brakes at slow speeds to a stop. But from what I've read, these brake pads will do that. Small sacrifice for what I get in return.

cp85gt said:
Last year I ran my car with the Pagids in the rain. I think the combo of the water and the heat kind of baked on the brake dust in some places and was extremely difficult to get off. I wound up using just ordinary soap and water with plastic style scouring pads and a lot of elbow grease. I eventually got it all off. I also put wax on the wheels which seems to help in cleaning them after a track day. The Forgestar F14 wheels look awesome but they area pain to clean.

I might try the plastic scouring pad approach. Does it scratch the clearcoat at all? I got this Mother's wheel brush thing with soft bristles that won't scratch anything but is completely useless. I might use it to brush the dogs. I run the Pagids year round so they get rain and everything else on them. They are noisy as hell (my wife hates the damn things) but the performance is undeniable. If that doesn't work maybe I just live with it.

athens7 said:
Are you running RS-56s on the rear? If so, then the residue is likely as much rotor material as pad dust. I have found no way to remove it short of lacquer thinner, which will harm the clear coat. Anything less hot, like mineral spirits, solvents, etc. will have no effect. YMMV.

Yep, some combination of pad, rotor and nuclear fallout from the looks of it.

I should add that I have had this problem on OEM Ford painted wheels. I have not had the same issue with powder coated Team Dynamics. So, the wheel's coating has a large part to do with the issue. I know Pete does not have the problem with his Enkei wheels.

Did you let the wheel cleaner soak in a little bit?
I've noticed that my carbotech dust cleans off much easier when I let the wheel cleaner sit on the wheel for a min or two.

F.D. Sako said:
Did you let the wheel cleaner soak in a little bit?
I've noticed that my carbotech dust cleans off much easier when I let the wheel cleaner sit on the wheel for a min or two.
Yea, with the Sonax it turns from green to red and then you're supposed to just rinse it all away after 5 minutes or so. I also "agitated gently" with the aforementioned and entirely useless wheel brush.

straightliner1 said:
Another option is a cleaner/polish used for automotive paint. Been there, done that.
I was thinking about this. Maybe something like Meguiar's scratch remover and an aggressive pad with an orbital buffer? What did you use?

Cartman said:
How diluted? This sounds like something I should not be screwing around with.

I'd start with 50/50 and make it a lil stronger if need be. I found out it gets concrete off the paint. Best friend got it all over the front from a concrete truck on the highway. I ended up using 100% muratic acid and Q-tips. I dabbed the concrete and it would melt away. No harm to the paint. Obviously wash and rewaxed when done.

You can try it in a hidden area first. Wear gloves and eye protection.

My detailer gave me a new product to try this weekend. It removed about 50% of the accumulated crud after two applications, with no harm to the clear. I see no reason why continued use won't remove all of the deposits (there's the remains of most of a set of factory rotors on my wheels). I will get the name and dilution of the product and post ASAP.

athens7 said:
My detailer gave me a new product to try this weekend. It removed about 50% of the accumulated crud after two applications, with no harm to the clear. I see no reason why continued use won't remove all of the deposits (there's the remains of most of a set of factory rotors on my wheels). I will get the name and dilution of the product and post ASAP.
Look forward to hearing what this is. Thanks

The product I am using with success is called Wheel Brightener XD. It's provided by Atlanta Detail Supply. They are a wholesale supplier to dealerships, body shops, etc. Here is a link to the product:
http://shop.detaillink.com/product.sc?productId=812&categoryId=15
My detailer suggests a 50/50 dilution with water, which is what I'm using. A stronger mix might take the crud off faster, but I would rather be patient and lessen the chance of harm to the paint on the wheels.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel