The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

diablo tuners and the red key

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

By "work" do you mean that it leaves all the Track Key parameters in place (when using the red key) while layering its own performance boosting changes on top?

gremlinsteve said:
they are now supposed to work. so that might be an option. a diablo trinity and your red key.
ill call my contact and find out for sure
Wouldn't it be better to wait until you have some actual information on this before posting about it? ???

yea. thats true. i could have waiting. but if knowing that one thing would be possible a day or two before some one made a order for another product when they could have had that instead. thats kinda how i looked at it. i myself was fixing to order some parts. but now i am going to wait n see what this is about

Why is there no mention of this on the Diablo website or Diablo forum?

All it says it that they now have tunes available for all 2013 Mustangs - V6, GT, Boss, and GT500.

Tunes for the Boss have been available from many tuners for quite awhile, but as far as I know none work with Track Key together. If Diablo pulled this off it would be big news and you'd think they would be broadcasting it everywhere.

I read somewhere that the Diablo tune wasn't that great. I don't recall where, and I'm not trashing them but it did raise a flag when you posted this. I'll have a look around. If I recall correctly the tune was pretty lame.

No, if they catch you. Plenty of people try to game it but if you are getting ANY non-factory tune you might as well write off your motor warranty.

ill find out for sure. i heard through some one else that they can do it now. ill call my sales guy at diablo or johan myself.

how bout we delete the thread till then

Just a tune would not be worth loosing your warranty unless it was a tune for turbo or superchargers then I would say that I agree but to take the chance for something that wont be any better then the track key well it just does not make sense? Fill me in why you would want an aftermarket tune that might give you what 2-3 hp over the track key I dont understand fill me in?

jeepinocala said:
Just a tune would not be worth loosing your warranty unless it was a tune for turbo or superchargers then I would say that I agree but to take the chance for something that wont be any better then the track key well it just does not make sense? Fill me in why you would want an aftermarket tune that might give you what 2-3 hp over the track key I dont understand fill me in?

so whats good for you is good for everyone else? if i choose to scatter this thing on a track that is my choice. ill keep building this thing till it does what i want it to do. i did not buy this car to worry about a silly warranty. so to set the record straight. steve (me) does not worry about the vehicles (my boss 302 ls) warranty. i could have bought any car i wanted. i chose this one.

i have already seen a stock boss 302 make almost 460 at the wheel on a retune. ford in my current opinion, did not wring every last ounce out of them. if i find out at a later date that this is not the case, ill go back to the track key if i so choose.

jeepinocala said:

2-3 hp over Track Key? Track Key does not increase horsepower nor does Ford claim it does.

Aftermarket tuners are getting 20+ hp over baseline on otherwise stock Mustang GTs, and more than that when you add in a CAI, OR X-pipe, and headers. It's not an insignificant power boost, especially given the low cost and ease of install versus other mods. Whether it's worth it in terms of warranty elimination is up to the individual.

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
I gave the TK the college try. Its a great thing if you plan to do nothing else to your car. I really did enjoy it. But I want more power so I got the Steeda CAI and Tunes. At this point its easy for me to swap the CAI back to stock and return the car to stock if I need to. That wont be the case once I get headers on the car. I have never had a car with a warranty on it before so if I lose this warranty it wont matter to much to me. All the other stuff will still be covered like power windows etc.

Justin said:
I gave the TK the college try. Its a great thing if you plan to do nothing else to your car. I really did enjoy it. But I want more power so I got the Steeda CAI and Tunes. At this point its easy for me to swap the CAI back to stock and return the car to stock if I need to. That wont be the case once I get headers on the car. I have never had a car with a warranty on it before so if I lose this warranty it wont matter to much to me. All the other stuff will still be covered like power windows etc.

Clarify this please. If you have the trak key installed, and then get a Steeda tune, can you go back and forth between them if you are will to reinstall the Ford CAI?

i have already seen a stock boss 302 make almost 460 at the wheel on a retune. ford in my current opinion, did not wring every last ounce out of them.

FWIW (probably nuthin'), my opinion is exactly the opposite. I've only got about 10 hours of dyno experience with the Boss compared to whatever you house - but I'd say Ford DID get all of the performance out of this motor from a timing and a/f perspective. For flogging, road course usage I wouldn't run any closer to the proverbial edge.

MA
CoolTechLLC said:
i have already seen a stock boss 302 make almost 460 at the wheel on a retune. ford in my current opinion, did not wring every last ounce out of them.

FWIW (probably nuthin'), my opinion is exactly the opposite. I've only got about 10 hours of dyno experience with the Boss compared to whatever you house - but I'd say Ford DID get all of the performance out of this motor from a timing and a/f perspective. For flogging, road course usage I wouldn't run any closer to the proverbial edge.

^^^^ I have to agree with this statement. One glance at a TK dyno graph with A/F says it all.

TMO Supporting Vendors