The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Did the Zaino Treatment today (pics inside)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
ace72ace said:
At least spell your brew of choice correctly, who cares about the rest, it's Miller L-I-T-E =D

I have no shame though, when I can, regular Sam Adams lager or Newcastle is my favorite, otherwise its 55 cal Bud Select ( making love in a canoe )
lol sorry I was on my phone it auto corrected it to light.

ace72ace

Zaino, I put that $hit on everything
Oooh, I wondered how you managed to get the spelling right half time, was from your phone... heh, j/k. Wish me luck, starting the Dawn wash & and clay on the wife's GT. Gotta take some nasty 'before' pix.

[edit: well the before 'nasty' pics weren't all that nasty, I'll just post the finished product later tonight]

I've always found the paradox of black interesting. When properly cleaned it looks better than all other colors (IMO obviously), but its so bloody hard to keep clean so you can't enjoy the sight often. Very nice work!

ace72ace

Thanks for the props, was a lot of hard work. I hate to say it, but applying Zaino to a car is a lot like looking at your face under a florescent light... ANY imperfection at all will be revealed. In just under 2 years since my wife got her GT, we've put on 47k miles, and unfortunately also includes driving it in the winter. The paint as taken a real beating, there are a lot of rock chips all over the front end, and the front bumper face has a sandblasted affect across the face, and more so on each corner.

As I had mentioned before, her car had lots of swirls, and what I did to try and get them out was, Dawn wash, clay bar, Z7 wash, and then using the 'slow cut' technique as described by the Adams Polish guy Junkman. 4 passes with the Porter Cable orange pad with Adams Swirl and Haze remover. The technique calls for lubricating the pad on each pass with Adams detail spray, which I didn't have, so I used Z6. After completing the whole car, I then wiped it down, and then applied Z5 + ZFX, let it sit for an hour, cause at this point I was beat. Then 2 wipe downs of the hazed Zaino, and then pull the car out front and get the pix. I was too tired to complete the detail by freshening up under the hood (had done a 90 min clean a month ago), vacuum, and leather treatment. Friday I had spent close to 3 hours using the 3m kit to restore the headlamp lenses on my Merc, then mow the lawn, and then started on GT. My 'honey-do' list was long this Mother's Day weekend!

So today I'm gonna take it relatively easy and finish up her car, and then go see The Avengers in Imax 3D.

ace72ace

My wife was going over the bills tonight and said, "another hundred bucks at the Zaino store?!" I can't believe I forgot the Z6 too... I'm running low! But now I have just about everything I need. For now...

Justin

ace72ace said:
My wife was going over the bills tonight and said, "another hundred bucks at the Zaino store?!" I can't believe I forgot the Z6 too... I'm running low! But now I have just about everything I need. For now...
lol you buying the maintenance pack?

I think I am doing this correctly, not used to putting something on so thin, can't see it, first coat of z5 is on, giving it a minute to dry, mixed 1oz with the 4 drops zfx, second go around I'll use a bit more, did not use 1/2oz on the first coat....clayed the car last night, washed this morning.
You will get to know your car very well with this stuff!
I think I'll lose a few pounds doing this today.

Justin

KYBOSSLS said:
I think I am doing this correctly, not used to putting something on so thin, can't see it, first coat of z5 is on, giving it a minute to dry, mixed 1oz with the 4 drops zfx, second go around I'll use a bit more, did not use 1/2oz on the first coat....clayed the car last night, washed this morning.
You will get to know your car very well with this stuff!
I think I'll lose a few pounds doing this today.
lol oh yes you do get to know every little chip on the car. I gave up counting the ones on my car they are all over. (thank you hampton roads!) Dont forget to Z6 in between steps!

Well after a long day the shine and the depth is incredible, see if you can make out the car from the quarter panel and there are two framed Mustang's 18 feet away from the other photo!2012-05-28_20-55-32_57.jpg It is a lot of work, take your time and folllow the directions, used a couple of spray bottles one with distilled water to keep the pad from drying out and the other one with dawn mix to clean out the bottles and pads. The Wife wants her Flex to be next ???might be a couple of weeks need to recover.2012-05-28_20-58-47_515.jpg

ace72ace

So after all that effort, do you think it was worth it? I know that I'm satisfied... moar pix!!

Yes it is a 67 Sunbeam Alpine, I've had her for over 15 yrs. 39k miles.

Ace, it is a lot of work, the reflection is great, just hope it holds up, you need to break it up over a few days, I'm just getting her ready for the long cruise to Carlisle.

Justin

KYBOSSLS said:
Yes it is a 67 Sunbeam Alpine, I've had her for over 15 yrs. 39k miles.

Ace, it is a lot of work, the reflection is great, just hope it holds up, you need to break it up over a few days, I'm just getting her ready for the long cruise to Carlisle.
I usually get the body done the first day and the wheels the second day. yes I do the whole treatment to the wheels lol

ace72ace

The whole treatment to the spoked wheels... you are nuts!! I'm sure it looks awesome.

Asking if it was worth it was a rhetorical question. Hehe.

TMO Supporting Vendors