The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Did the Zaino Treatment today (pics inside)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

4dRacer said:
Scenery is a nature center her in town that is about 700 acres preserve of man made lakes and lots of grown trees. There is a golf course that's part of it as well but didn't think they would let me "drive" up on the green for some pictures :)
Thanks for going off topic and answering my question. Your Boss looks fantastic.

ace72ace

Zaino, I put that $hit on everything
4dRacer said:
ace72ace said:
BOOOYAAAH!!! Nice. How many hours? What did you mix the zfx with? z2 or z5?

Total it was about 9-10 hours, I did it in 3 steps over 4 days. Dawn wash, clay bar, z7 wash last Saturday night. Rained like crazy on Sunday so it just set in the garage. Monday night I cleaned it with z6 and then applied z-aio, z6, z5 w/zfx, z6, z5 w/zfx, z6, z2. Tuesday lunch I took off z2 touched up with z6 and then put on z-cs. Let z-cs sit overnight. Wednesday morning before work I applied z8.

On the Boss I used zfx with z5 and not with z2 but only because z2 was applied very late at night so I just let it cure overnight. It took about 15 hours for it to cure, must have been humid. On the GT I used zfx with both z5 and z2, not sure it really makes any difference just depends on time available.

All of this is thanks to Boss2511 and rest of you guys on here for answering my numerous questions. Without his instructions and detailed out steps it probably would not have turned out as well. The Zaino instructions are good but it's nice when somebody has gone through the process and gives you all the details, like letting z-cs sit overnight and applying very very little of it.

Sitting overnight, curing, wha? I missed that part... I don't have the AIO, and I was gonna do my wife's car this weekend but the darn Adams order is taking FOREVER to get here from CO dammit... Will have to wait until next week. Sigh.

98RedGT

2012 #552
That was my understanding, if you don't use zfx than it takes quite a long time to dry for z2 or z5 or z-aio

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
4dRacer said:
That was my understanding, if you don't use zfx than it takes quite a long time to dry for z2 or z5 or z-aio
if you dont use zfx it just takes a while to fully cure untill you can put on another layer. you still apply it the same as per the bottle's instructions. Apply an even coat wait 15-30mins and remove.

As for the Z-AIO as far am my understanding you need it as a base coat for Z-5 and Z-2 to stick too. doing a car the first time I always go
dawn-clay-wash-Z-AIO-Z-6-Z-5-Z-6-Z-5-Z-6-Z-2-Z-6-Z-CS-Z-8
And for the most extreme enthusiast...
While not required, for the ULTIMATE in paint protection and an INCREDIBLE show car finish, use Z-AIO, followed by 2 coats of ZFX enabled Z-5 PRO, then 1 coat of Z-2 PRO (including a Z-6 wipe down between coats) and finish off with an application of Z-CS. Wait 12 hours, then wipe down the vehicle with Z-8. Get your sunglasses out, the gloss may be blinding.

Maintain and extend the wet gloss and durability by using Z-7 Show Car Wash with Z-6 Gloss Enhancer Spray or Z-8 Spray Seal.

Z-AIO FAQ is on this page
http://www.zainostore.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=Z-AIO&Category_Code=Zaino&Product_Count=6
ONE STEP CLEANER, POLISH & PROTECTANT

Zaino Z-AIO ALL-IN-ONE is here.
• Excellent daily driver solution
• Easy to apply & remove
• Apply by hand or machine
• Safe for all paint types
• Restores dull paint & minor oxidation
• Safely smoothes minor flaws & cleans embedded debris
• Leaves a glossy & strong protective layer
• Excellent base coat setup for optional Z-2 PRO or Z-5 PRO application
• Does not contain any oils or fillers
Zaino is proud to build on the success of it's line of award winning Zaino Show Car Polish Products with Zaino Z-AIO ALL-IN-ONE. Z-AIO simplifies the task of painted surface maintenance. Z-AIO's versatility on all paint types make it your one source, goto polish. Whether on your car, truck, motorcycle, or boat, Z-AIO can be your true SINGLE polish & protectant product.

With an emulsifying cleaner and very mild abrasive, Z-AIO gently cleans and protects while effectively enhancing light refraction and reflectivity for remarkable results. The advanced polymeric substructures within Z-AIO produces optically perfect layers to all paint types, yet also provides excellent adhesion and detergent resistance, resulting in a strong and glossy layer of polymer based synthetic protection.

Z-AIO is an excellent solution for daily driven vehicles. Exposure to environmental elements as well as surface contaminants affect the look and life of your paint. Contaminants like tree sap, tar, bird droppings, bug remains, road grime, and many other pollutants can be easily removed with Z-AIO. Z-AIO includes our most advanced sunscreen and UV protection.

Z-AIO can either be used by itself, or as an excellent foundation & bonding agent for the full line of advanced Zaino Show Car Polish Products.

Although it is not required, you may follow up Z-AIO with application of any Zaino Show Car Polish protectant, including our new advanced Z-CS Clear Seal, or Z-2 PRO or Z-5 PRO products.

Z-AIO succeeds and obsoletes Zaino Z-1 Show Car Polish Lok.

For a limited time only, order Z-AIO in a package with other exciting new Zaino products. See Zaino Triplets.

The Z-AIO bottle contains 16 fl. ozs. (473 ml.)

APPLICATION INSTRUCTIONS

Shake well before using.

Thoroughly wash and dry vehicle as normal.

Apply Z-AIO to our #314 cotton applicator pad. Work Z-AIO into the surface, one section at a time, using firm motions, completing entire vehicle. Allow to dry.

Wipe residue, buffing to a super gloss with a high quality 100% soft cotton cloth.
NOTE: Z-AIO is very durable. If your goals are great shine and maximum protection on daily driven vehicles, we recommend 3-4 applications per year. For best results, maintain with Z-6 Gloss Enhancer Spray or Z-8 Spray Seal and Z-7 Show Car Wash..

FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS

How much Z-AIO will I use to apply to my car?
On an average vehicle, we use less than 1 oz. of Z-AIO when applied by hand. We use Z-AIO on all paint, glass, plastic, wheels, chrome, or any non-porous surfaces.

How often should I apply Z-AIO?
For daily driven vehicles, customers who use Z-AIO by itself should apply 3 to 4 times per year for maximum protection.

Does Z-AIO replace Z-1?
Yes. While there are differences between each product, Z-AIO adds many more benefits, thus retiring Z-1. Z-AIO contains some cleaning agents, as well as enough gloss & protectant to be a true one product solution for some customers. Z-1 required the use of a subsequent protectant like Z-2 PRO or Z-5 PRO, while Z-AIO does not.

Can I use the ZFX additive with Z-AIO?
Yes. While ZFX is not required for use with Z-AIO, ZFX will heighten gloss & slickness, and extend the durability of Z-AIO. If you choose to use ZFX with Z-AIO, use the same ZFX instructions as you would with Z-2 PRO or Z-5 PRO.

What if I want to apply Z-2 PRO or Z-5 PRO on top of Z-AIO?
You will certainly be very happy with the results. As curing is not required with Z-AIO when used with our protectants, you can apply Z-2 PRO or Z-5 PRO immediately after wiping the residue of Z-AIO.

For subsequent applications of Z-2 PRO or Z-5 PRO, ZFX is not required unless you want to apply multiple coats of product in quick succession (this is a benefit of using ZFX). Z-2 PRO or Z-5 PRO without ZFX can optionally be applied no more than once every 8-12 hours. However, if you choose to apply ZFX enabled Z-2 PRO or Z-5 PRO on top of Z-AIO, follow the respective directions for those Zaino protectants.

Will I need ZFX for use with Z-2 PRO or Z-5 PRO after using Z-AIO?
Not unless you plan to accelerate cure time and apply multiple coats of Z-2 PRO or Z-5 PRO within a 12 hour period. After using Z-AIO initially, you may continue to apply layers of Z-2 PRO or Z-5 PRO as long as you continue to see beading as a sign of durability, without needing Z-AIO as a pre-cleaner or conditioner.

However, most daily driven vehicles can probably benefit from an occasional use of Z-AIO for it's minor cleaning and correction of paint contaminants and defect.

Can Z-AIO be layered?
I wouldn't. There would be little, if any, gain to layering Z-AIO as any later application would likely remove the benefit of the prior one. If you're trying to accomplish a greater depth of gloss and heightened protection with layering, it should be done with Z-2 PRO or Z-5 PRO.

Can Z-AIO be used with a random orbital buffer?
Sure. A lot of our beta testers use Z-AIO and a buffer with great success, but the developmental initiative was focused on ease of application and results when applied by hand.

When would I use Z-AIO verses Z-2 PRO or Z-5 PRO?
Z-AIO is not in the same product category as Z-2 PRO or Z-5 PRO. Neither Z-2 PRO or Z-5 PRO contain any cleaners or abrasives. Z-2 PRO or Z-5 PRO achieve higher gloss and durability than can be attained with a single product that includes cleaners or abrasives. Most customers will choose to use Z-AIO as the foundation to other Zaino Show Car Polish protectants like Z-CS Clear Seal, or Z-2 PRO or Z-5 PRO.

How does Z-AIO compare to Z-PC?
Z-AIO is a less abrasive product that contains gloss and durability, while Z-PC offers no protection and is more agressive. For minor oxidation and surface debris cleansing, Z-AIO can handle it. If it's necessary to work a little deeper to resolve more serious surface imperfections, Z-PC should be used. Use of Z-PC requires follow up with another protectant like Z-2 PRO or Z-5 PRO, or even Z-CS Clear Seal, while Z-AIO does not.

Does Z-AIO include any UV protection?
Yes. Z-AIO contains our best UV inhibitors that protect against potentially damaging sun exposure and ultra-violet light.

Should I use Z-AIO on painted plastic?
Definitely. You can and should use Z-AIO on nearly all exterior surfaces including: paint (including door jambs), glass, plastic lenses, wheels, chrome or any non-porous surfaces. Z-AIO will not stain or leave a residue.

I use the full line of Zaino products to protect my vehicle. How does Z-AIO fit in?
Z-AIO can be used as a stand alone product. However, most customers will choose to incorporate Z-AIO into the system of Zaino protectant and maintenance products. Here are some suggestions:
Use Z-AIO by itself.
Use Z-AIO and top with Z-CS.
Use Z-AIO and top with Z-2 PRO or Z-5 PRO.
Use Z-AIO, with layers of Z-2 PRO and/or Z-5 PRO, and then top with Z-CS.

Justin

Yeah zaino is actually a placebo it does nothing but sense your brain knows that you spent 10 hours doing something it changes your preception and you think it looks good lol

ace72ace

Well thank god for that, I'd hate to spend an entire weekend on my car and have it look like 1 coat of NuFinish after 50 car washes. Whoohoo!

This whole thing is starting to boggle my mind. I want to do this as well but what do I order? The show car kit? AIO with a bunch of other products? There seem to be all kinds of different treatment application sequences and I have serious trouble figuring out what to get.

I had no idea car polishing could be this complicated :)

ace72ace

Full kit. Understand you are committing 7-10 hours over 2 days to do the entire series of steps as outlined above. That's a lot of hand rubbing and buffing. It really has to be a labor of love. I can understand why if you are a detailer that you would use other products that take half the time to apply and shine as well. It certainly is expensive too, as you can see. Is your Boss worth it?

Order the full kit, 1 bucket (got a 2.99 rinse bucket from Lowe's), and the 6" tri-foam pad. Then I ordered 9" wash pad, drying towel and 2 micro fiber towels from Adamspolishes. You will need an empty spray bottle for the clay bar lubricant. Sure that's a few bucks, IMHO, worth it.

Gonna do the wife's black GT now that it finally stopped raining! Will post a ton of pix on Sunday.

Justin

if you are starting with nothing. This is what you need to buy if you want to be able to fully detail your boss like I have
http://www.zainostore.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=ZKIT-2&Category_Code=Zaino&Product_Count=3
http://www.zainostore.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=Z-TRIP&Category_Code=Zaino&Product_Count=4
http://www.zainostore.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=Z-PC&Category_Code=Zaino&Product_Count=20
http://www.zainostore.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=Z-APP-OZ6&Category_Code=Zaino&Product_Count=40
http://www.griotsgarage.com/product/micro+fiber+speed+shine+cloths+set+of+3.do?sortby=ourPicks&from=Search Need atleast 9 of these towels.
http://www.adamspolishes.com/p-57-adams-grit-guard-car-wash-bucket-caddy.aspx
http://www.adamspolishes.com/p-83-adams-professional-car-wash-pad.aspx or http://www.adamspolishes.com/p-628-adams-ultimate-merino-wool-car-wash-mitt.aspx
http://www.adamspolishes.com/p-106-adams-great-white-microfiber-drying-towel.aspx two of those.

then either a leaf blower to get the water out of the hard to get places like grille around the lights door handles 1/4 glass etc. or this to do that http://www.adamspolishes.com/p-471-adams-blaster-sidekick-dryer-by-metrovac.aspx

All that should get you going quite well. as you can see the price gets up there. thats why I did other peoples cars for 150 a treatment do about 5-6 of those and its paid itself off and then some money for other stuff like a detailing cart and bags etc.

ace72ace

After seeing my Merc, I had a few guys offer me $200 to do their cars. But for what the materials cost, and the many hours of labor, it's just not worth it to me. After adding all this up, I can certainly see why professional detailers would find alternatives. But for your average Joe, you could easily split the cost with a relative of neighbor, so in the end you'd have the means to do it at home, on your own schedule, and know that you did it right, and the pride of having done it yourself.

I think Justin should start a new thread, 'The Zaino Experience - How to reach Nirvana by waxing your Boss Mustang" ;D

Justin

ace72ace said:
After seeing my Merc, I had a few guys offer me $200 to do their cars. But for what the materials cost, and the many hours of labor, it's just not worth it to me. After adding all this up, I can certainly see why professional detailers would find alternatives. But for your average Joe, you could easily split the cost with a relative of neighbor, so in the end you'd have the means to do it at home, on your own schedule, and know that you did it right, and the pride of having done it yourself.

I think Justin should start a new thread, 'The Zaino Experience - How to reach Nirvana by waxing your Boss Mustang" ;D
Lol I guess I could do a how to Zaino your Boss. Wouldnt be to hard. Won't be for a while as I have to wait till its time to reclay the boss. Or I could do it using someone else's are if they ever bring it over to have done.

And I have a helper....my soon to be wife helps me. I also find it helps if you start drinking beer when you start. lol

ace72ace

If you follow the instructions, and take your time, you will get outstanding results. Although I'm not too sure about Justin's suggestion about what beverage to drink when you start... This stuff is nasty!

Screenshot2012-05-11at22946PM.png

ace72ace

At least spell your brew of choice correctly, who cares about the rest, it's Miller L-I-T-E =D

I have no shame though, when I can, regular Sam Adams lager or Newcastle is my favorite, otherwise its 55 cal Bud Select ( making love in a canoe )

TMO Supporting Vendors