The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Dif. coolers for TT?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Greenbrier, TN
I noticed quite a few of the TT guys running the IRS are installing rear diff. pumps and coolers. Is that really necessary since a typical TT session is 15 minutes long?

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Greenbrier, TN
the 1st session maybe I can get a full session. but 2nd and so on, a diff cooler is a must. Check out my install vid.
EXCELLENT WORK! Thanks so much for posting this. Absolutely a great way to go.
slightly disappointing though. with a handle like “1 old racer” I was expecting to see a walker, a sun visor and the same old race story 3 times! lol

Last edited:
Here is my experience.
I run TT with my mustang with the 10speed.
For some reason 10speed protect better the diff. But this is the truth abouth rear diff cooler. I mean for the TORSEN.
1. Overheating Is track related. Some track are harder on the diff than other.
2. Sessions. If you have 2 hrs between sessions. You DO NOT NEED A COOLER.
3. For 3 laps you DO NOT need a diff cooler.
4. Tip :after your session. Bring with you a leaf blower. Lay behind the car. Poor some water in front of the blower while activating it. And spray the diff. This will drop easily up to 100f. You can also increase efficacy of the method pairing it with a little fan.
5. If ypu plan to build PACE and go longer you DO NEED A cooler. FTB builds a nice kit.
Hope this help
Ale

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Greenbrier, TN
Here is my experience.
For some reason 10speed protect better the diff. But this is the truth abouth rear diff cooler. I mean for the TORSEN.
4. Tip :after your session. Bring with you a leaf blower. Lay behind the car. Poor some water in front of the blower while activating it. And spray the diff. This will drop easily up to 100f. You can also increase efficacy of the method pairing it with a little fan.
5. If ypu plan to build PACE and go longer you DO NEED A cooler. FTB builds a nice kit.
Hope this help
Ale
Absolutely. Thanks so much.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
So CA
Here is my experience.
Hope this help
Ale

Well taken, Ale, thanks! I do track days (4 x 20min sessions) with yes 1-2hr breaks here locally in So CA. I'm really interested to jump into a GT PP2 and will get the FTB or MMR very soon, but what about exhaust wrap in the meantime, how much does that help?

Last edited:
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Greenbrier, TN
Great question. I was wondering that too. I put my Iphone with Harrys Lap timer in the center console once during a session and it got so hot it shut down!

It doesnt do much. The leaf blower technique (poor cold water in front of the blower and spray the diff for 1-2min) helps dramatically.
I feel u may start to suffer before with engine oil temps especially in the hot days. Pp1 and pp2 dont really change a lot. A tought.
Not sure pp2 extra cost is worth it IMO. Is just a slighty different magnaride calibration amd bigger tires.
Wheels and tires that u would buy anyway to run a pure square set up to be able to rotate them. (Pp2 has same tire size but different offset so no option of rotating wheels)
Magnaride is nice but in the future with more exo u may upgrade to coilovers anyway..
Just food for thoughts.

Well taken, Ale, thanks! I do track days (4 x 20min sessions) with yes 1-2hr breaks here locally in So CA. I'm really interested to jump into a GT PP2 and will get the FTB or MMR very soon, but what about exhaust wrap in the meantime, how much does that help?

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
So CA
It doesnt do much. The leaf blower technique (poor cold water in front of the blower and spray the diff for 1-2min) helps dramatically.
I feel u may start to suffer before with engine oil temps especially in the hot days. Pp1 and pp2 dont really change a lot. A tought.
Not sure pp2 extra cost is worth it IMO. Is just a slighty different magnaride calibration amd bigger tires.
Wheels and tires that u would buy anyway to run a pure square set up to be able to rotate them. (Pp2 has same tire size but different offset so no option of rotating wheels)
Magnaride is nice but in the future with more exo u may upgrade to coilovers anyway..
Just food for thoughts.

And you guys use 75w140, does it matter which brand is best, Redline, Ford MS, Motul?? Anything to help before my first ACS day in Jan Feb although nice it will be cooler temps!

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
So CA
I use oem fluid.
U will be fine especially the first times. Speed will not be the fastest :) also autoclub with the ling straight kimd of cool dowm things.
Ps. We are at buttonwillow tomorrow if you want to come. :)

I will be at ACS first event 2022, might run Button on 18th on wait list, in my RB 240Z. Will look for you in Jan..👍

Last edited:

TMO Supporting Vendors