The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

diff cover difference between 12 & 13

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Not sure if anyone has posted this, but I see there is a difference between the differential cover on the 2012 Boss and 2013 Boss. The 2013's cover already has the fill and drain plug installed and also has a boss for installing a oil temp sensor. Nice!

I noticed that, and I am thinking about swapping them when I do the diff fluid depending on the price. Local machine shop wants a lot to tap the 12 one. Anyone know the part number for the 13 version?

You can add them to the 12 covers, they already have the bosses just not tapped. And you have to take it off anyways to do the first fluid swap so that is a convenient time to do it. Just with the price to have it done here, it probably is pretty close to just get the 13 cover.

A local shop charged me $200 to change both the trans and diff fluids and add the drain/fill plugs. If the new cover had been available I'd probably would've gone that route but it's pretty easy to add when you take the cover off to change the fluid.

P1020818.jpg

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
Ugh. One more thing I gotta do!

I always feel like this when newer models get the subtle, cheap, but nice to have improvements...

I can just see it now...the '14s get an option for a 444hp engine for $2,995. ::)

Grant 302

jeepinocala said:
Hey dont cry it is super easy to drill and tap aluminum it can be done at home with ease. ;D And the plugs are cheap.

Wah. :'( :D

I just don't like drilling original Boss parts and will unfortunately pay for the '13 cover when the time comes.

Grant 302 said:
jeepinocala said:
Hey dont cry it is super easy to drill and tap aluminum it can be done at home with ease. ;D And the plugs are cheap.

I just don't like drilling original Boss parts and will unfortunately pay for the '13 cover when the time comes.

Why not drill the cover do you really think it will be worth less?

drano38

Wayne
Also, consider getting magnetic plugs so they catch any shavings off the diff (hopefully not though!)

Grant 302

jeepinocala said:
Grant 302 said:
jeepinocala said:

Why not drill the cover do you really think it will be worth less?

Just my irrational policy: No drilling on original Boss parts. I guess the answer to your question is, 'yes'.

I just crawled under my 2013 Boss and I couldn't see the drain and fill plugs - the cover looks like the 2012 version. Went to the Ford Parts Catalog site and noticed that the part number for the "GT w/Boss Package" differential cover changes depending on when the car was built - April 30 is the build cut-off date, and the cover is less expensive after that. Mine was built 5/4/2012. Or maybe I'm just not looking hard enough.

shendrix99 said:
I just crawled under my 2013 Boss and I couldn't see the drain and fill plugs - the cover looks like the 2012 version. Went to the Ford Parts Catalog site and noticed that the part number for the "GT w/Boss Package" differential cover changes depending on when the car was built - April 30 is the build cut-off date, and the cover is less expensive after that. Mine was built 5/4/2012. Or maybe I'm just not looking hard enough.

This matches when I took a look as well. Mine was built in March... Bought a 2013 just a smidge too early. :'(

Putting the plugs in the car is not going to hurt the value if anything unless you dont drive the car and just sit it in a show room all it's life your car is only going to go down in price and guess what - it has already started. Enjoy what you brought. I really believe the 2013-2014 gt500 will be the only car with any chance at all of being worth alot some day and that day is a super long time from now. I like the idea of them simply cause it will be the cheapest mod yet ;D Plus might want to put some antisieze on those plugs unless you are planning on changing the gear oil alot. I have some nice Stainless Steel plugs I am going to use after I confirm what the standard plug thread is used?

shendrix99 said:

I took a quick glance under the car and I do have a diff drain plug. I'll have to get the car on ramps to locate/see the fill plug. My 2013 Boss was built May 3.

TMO Supporting Vendors