The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Diff fluid change panhard bar

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Guys,

When you did your diff fluid change I understand the panhard bar has to be dropped out of the way. Did you guys just loosen the pass side
and let it drop? Also is it possible to do a panhard bar swap on ramps.

Thanks

kona768 said:
Guys,

When you did your diff fluid change I understand the panhard bar has to be dropped out of the way. Did you guys just loosen the pass side
and let it drop? Also is it possible to do a panhard bar swap on ramps.

Thanks

That is right, I had to drop the panhard bar out of the way by loosen only the pass side, that worked fine. I have now a differential cover installed with drain and fill plugs so.

Can't comment on your question regarding panhard bar swap on ramps, did mine on a lift.

Just did this last weekend.I had the car up on jack stands, but the jack stands were on the axle so the suspension was loaded. I installed drain and fill plugs also. The one thing I noticed from the instructions in the factory manual is that the panhard rod fasteners are supposed to be one use only and they get torqued to 130 ft-lb which is more than my tq wrench. They are supposed to be torques with weight on the suspension. I did end up re using the bolts and went to 100 ft lb [tq wrench limit] plus a little more. May end up lowering car in the future and changing to an adjustable panhard rod at that time. If I do that I'll borrow a 130 + tq wrench and probably get new bolts.

Thanks for the input did the hole on the pass side line up when you went to bolt it back up? I know when I did the lca the rear
moved a little and it takes a little finesse to get things back togeather. Thanks again.

Hermes said:
Just did this last weekend.I had the car up on jack stands, but the jack stands were on the axle so the suspension was loaded. I installed drain and fill plugs also. The one thing I noticed from the instructions in the factory manual is that the panhard rod fasteners are supposed to be one use only and they get torqued to 130 ft-lb which is more than my tq wrench. They are supposed to be torques with weight on the suspension. I did end up re using the bolts and went to 100 ft lb [tq wrench limit] plus a little more. May end up lowering car in the future and changing to an adjustable panhard rod at that time. If I do that I'll borrow a 130 + tq wrench and probably get new bolts.

Sounds good, I also have fill and drain plugs put into mine. Been changing fluid for over a year now with the plugs and since I was loosening the bolts on the cover while at the track I decided to removed the cover to loctite all them again. I found there was no build up of sludge at the bottom while doing this.

I also reused that pahhard bar bolt but did add loctite to it, hope you did the same.

kona768 said:
Thanks for the input did the hole on the pass side line up when you went to bolt it back up? I know when I did the lca the rear
moved a little and it takes a little finesse to get things back togeather. Thanks again.

Use a screwdriver that is smaller then the bolt hole, you can align the bolt holes from one side using the screwdriver and insert the bolt from the other end.

Thanks just want to know what I was in for, when I did the panhard bar and brace on my gt it fought me a little. Cant wait to have the fill and drain plugs finally.

sadil said:
Can you guys post a link to these drain and fill plugs that can be installed. Thanks.

There are several who sell it, you need to check where you get it for the lowest price. I like this one as it is the same a stock just with drain and fill plugs: http://www.lethalperformance.com/steeda-mustang-finned-differential-cover-w-fill-drain-plugs.html or this one which looks for me the same except the price: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/fms-m-4033-ka/media/images just to give you two examples

I bought mine last month for $99.00 buy it now from this ebay seller , it is the cover with the bigger fill and drain plugs and the drilled and tapped opening for a temp probe if you want to add it later on , http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-FORD-8-8-ALUMINUM-REAR-AXLE-COVER-MUSTANG-GT-ROUSH-COBRA-SHELBY-BOSS-302-/121095820747?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item1c31df95cb#ht_151wt_1249

drano38

Wayne
Anyone use magnetic plugs in the diff cover so it catches any metal fragments (hopefully none in there ;D)?

This summer I'll see if I can drill/tap mine during a fluid change.
Or, for $100, the ebay version is a pretty good deal.

You can buy the gt500 cover from ford with the plugs install DR3Z4033B list 79.95, the only thing you need to do is to change the vent over.

TMO Supporting Vendors