The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Diff puke

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I recently replaced diff fluid and after a hard day at the track it puked some, what I wanted to know is should I replace that fluid since it was minimal or should it be left out as it got rid of the extra-ish fluid.

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
Several of us have had this problem.

I cured it by adding the breather can from Shelby. They ran a great sale once upon a time and I got it for around $90.00.

Bolts to the floor and drains fluid back to the diff after cooling.

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
Brandon302 said:
I recently replaced diff fluid and after a hard day at the track it puked some, what I wanted to know is should I replace that fluid since it was minimal or should it be left out as it got rid of the extra-ish fluid.

1) You need an expansion tank, everyone does...
2) Check the level. It's the fitting towards the engine, not the rear one.

-Pete

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
PeteInCT said:
1) You need an expansion tank, everyone does...
2) Check the level. It's the fitting towards the engine, not the rear one.

-Pete
Didn't somebody here fill to the upper one on the diff cover once? Wouldn't be surprised if several people have done it.

Brandon302 said:
Breather cap is on the back of the dif close to the top.

How close to the front hole did you fill? It should be well below...1/4" to 9/16" below, IIRC.

I filled it using the rear hole, assuming that was the fill hole. It did end up puking a little fluid out when filling, so it may have also been over full at the track.

Grant 302

TMSBOSS said:
I thought the rear diff was filled to the bottom of the front hole? Trans is below.

Pretty sure it's below. I use a zip tie as a dip stick to confirm and fill with the recommended volume.

My factory fills were waaay over. Fluid still came out of the fill hole after puking a bunch on the GT when the vent was on the axle tube. No problems on my Boss, but the factory fill was a bit high too.

Grant 302

Brandon302 said:
I filled it using the rear hole, assuming that was the fill hole. It did end up puking a little fluid out when filling, so it may have also been over full at the track.

Did you use more than 2 quarts for the fill? You only need 1.7, IIRC.

Grant 302 said:
Did you use more than 2 quarts for the fill? You only need 1.7, IIRC.

I saw online that it was 2.5, from here specifically http://iihs.net/fsm/?dir=752&viewfile=SPECIFICATIONS.pdf. As long as it was overfilled, which I am beginning to believe, and hasn't gone below what it should be, which it only puked maybe a tablespoon, then I am fine with it.
I am looking into a breather setup so that this won't happen again, though it never did on the factory fill no matter how hard I ran it.

Check the sticky in the DIY forum for good inexpensive options. Pass on the Bobs breather setup.

The proper fill level is like Grant stated, 1/4" to 9/16" below, NOT to the bottom of the hole. I have never had mine overflow on the track. I also have Fords turkey baster on top of my cover just in case though.

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
06mach1 said:
The proper fill level is like Grant stated, 1/4" to 9/16" below, NOT to the bottom of the hole. I have never had mine overflow on the track. I also have Fords turkey baster on top of my cover just in case though.

Thanks.

I will be changing the fluids before this seasons starts. Clutch, trans fluid and diff fluids are waiting for me at home along with a WC Splitter.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
06mach1 said:

Correct. I have a zip tie bent to the correct length that I can shove into the fill hole and check fluid level.

TMO Supporting Vendors