The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Diff Temp Sensor Missing - Limp Mode?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The diff in my car doesn't have a port for a temp sensor so the PCM has thrown a code that the sensor is missing and a DTC is imminent. Does anyone know if you run with the senor unplugged if the car will go into limp mode?

In the V6L
The diff in my car doesn't have a port for a temp sensor so the PCM has thrown a code that the sensor is missing and a DTC is imminent. Does anyone know if you run with the senor unplugged if the car will go into limp mode?
Seems odd - your car's diff doesn't have a spot for a sensor, so presumably the ECU isn't looking for a sensor the car wasn't made with. What's inspired the ECU to start looking for a sensor? Just curious.

I looked in the service manual and there's no suggestion that a temperature that's low and constant will cause a problem. It says that there'll be a DTC if the sensor is open (disconnected) or shorted, and if the temp is too high, but that's all it says. So, go ahead and try plugging in a sensor and leaving it somewhere near the diff where it can't be damaged. May solve your problem.

Thank you much JAJ. Coyote swapped my Ecoboost and my Ecoboost doesn’t have a temp sensor port. Coyote had the sensor. I’ll be doing gears soon so will build it back up with a newer rear cover but in the meantime I just want to avoid limp mode.

I’ll grab a sensor and zip tie it up.

Dave_W

Cones - not just for ice cream
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Connecticut
If you need the cover, check the Cortex Garage Sale page - they've got several covers, including one from a GT500 with cooler fittings installed.

TMO Supporting Vendors