The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Different Differential Reservoir/Breather and Cooler Installations

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I wanted to bring all of these threads together in one central location and post what I'm doing with mine. I've had the Bob's canister installed for over two years and it has been hitting the top diff vent fittings and causing some noise and leaks. So I'm removing it and installing the Allstar breather in my trunk. You're fine with the Bob's but keep an eye on it and either connect it to the axle tube or use a shallower fitting on the top of the diff. This appears only to be an issue on cars that are lowered.

With the Allstar breather I'll run the vent hose up from the top of the diff and into the trunk. There is a spot on the passenger side to mount the breather. Then I'll run a second hose back down and out by the back of the car similar to how j3st3r did. I purchased the two bung breather for specifically so I don't have to vent in my trunk. I'll post photos and parts when I finish. In the meantime below are a few threads to browse. Thanks to everyone who has installed and shared their setups.

Early Allstar installation

https://trackmustangsonline.com/index.php?topic=1696.25

CIMG3123.jpg

Custom breather by j3st3r

https://trackmustangsonline.com/index.php?topic=5085.0

Breather and cooler by Black Boss

https://trackmustangsonline.com/index.php?topic=7429.0

Last edited:
Parts:

Allstar Breather Tank with two 3/8" NPT bungs. #36109
Heater Hose Barb 1/2" x 3/8" by Gardner-Westcott
Moroso Valve Cover Grommet #97340
9' of Earls Super Stock 1/2" x 1F, this is high temp and probably overkill but I think the hose will be close to the exhaust. Fuel line is probably sufficient.
I'm using the fittings that came with the Bob's canister

Last edited:
You can see in the photos where mine was hitting. You'll want to check yours to make sure it's not hitting. It it is take corrective action. You can mount the vent on the axle tube but I think the better vent placement is on top. You can also get a lower profile elbow. Look at the photo of mine and BMO members YoPauly. Mine is about 3 mm taller and that might be enough to cause the problems. BTW I had already bent my canister so that it was as high up as it could go.

I followed the lead of others and used existing grommets for pulling the hose into and back out of the trunk. I'd like to find a screen or something similar for the end of the breather hose. If anyone knows of one that fits into a 1/2" hose please post a link. I used about 7' of high temp hose going into the canister and about 5' of heater hose going out.

For mounting the breather I decided to drill two new 7/64" holes for mounting. The holes will never be seen and aren't doing any damage. This is probably complete overkill but I won't be having this issue again. Plus another 302S part. ;D

A couple of links for the breather kit from Rehagan and another potential cap for the breather.

http://www.rehagenracingproducts.co...g-Universal-PRO-RR-4022-PRO.htm?categoryId=-1

http://shop.watsonracing.com/UNIVERSAL-VALVE-COVER-BREATHER-CAP-GROMMETS-p/wr-6892-f.htm

Last edited:

Looks like you found the source of your leak from Sonoma. So far I've had no problem with the turkey baster and I get extra flavor on the turkey at Thanksgiving. :) Thats a sweet looking breather. I wonder if you could use the same tank and mount it under the car somewhere so you don't have the venting into the interior?

576 said:
Looks like you found the source of your leak from Sonoma. So far I've had no problem with the turkey baster and I get extra flavor on the turkey at Thanksgiving. :) Thats a sweet looking breather. I wonder if you could use the same tank and mount it under the car somewhere so you don't have the venting into the interior?

I believe the last three pictures show the second hose from the canister, which is venting under the car, right behind the rear diffuser/valence

576 said:
Sako nailed it, it vents out the back of the car. You probably could mount it elsewhere but where it's at is pretty much out of the way. It's pretty simple but just lots of hose.

Copy. I didn't look at the pic close enough. Still a nice looking/ functioning solution.

For anyone looking to do this the canister in the link below is about the least expensive I've found @ $60 including shipping.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Baffled-Aluminum-Breather-Tank-Oil-Catch-Can-Tube-with-1-2-Ports-Black/251709115885?_trksid=p2047675.c100011.m1850&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D27538%26meid%3D1dee8a91db794c4ab345a06ffaae81c4%26pid%3D100011%26prg%3D11353%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D10%26sd%3D251366721649

$(KGrHqJHJBQFJ,rd9KfoBSbR3TiCZ!~~60_57.jpg

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
Mad302 said:
Has anyone just left it vented into the trunk area. If so have you been to smell it or any adverse effects etc.

Not that I know of.

Problem with this is the axel will push fluid out the breather when pushed on the track. A canister which catches the oil/vapor and allows if to cool and return appears to work best.

A hose without a canister will likely turn into a mess in short time.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Waco, TX
Thanks got it. One other question did you do anything with the axle tube vent or did the breather system stop leaks out of that.

drano38

Wayne
Dragging this old thread up with my project I finished today.
Removed the Bob's tank, and added a Jegs 51137 to the trunk.
Spent a couple hours under the Boss trying to find the best hose routing into the trunk and back out for the vent hose. I basically copied j3st3r's idea in his DRKHRSE 2013 GT thread, post #26.
I ran both hoses thru the grommet near the installed can.
Here's the can I used.
http://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS-Performance-Products/555/51137/10002/-1
Used the top plug on my Whiteline watts link, and screwed in a 16mmx1.5 to AN6 adapter. http://www.jegs.com/i/Vibrant-Performance/231/16619/10002/-1
Came off that adapter with a 150 degree fitting.
3/8" hose from the local auto parts store, and AN6 push lock fittings and 90 degree AN6 to 1/4 pipe from Jegs.
The vent is AN6, AN6 to 1/4 pipe adapter, 1/4 pipe coupler, to the sinter vent.
I made a bracket that mounts to existing holes on the trunk's drivers front side.
In the second photo, I made an aluminum strap for under the nuts and along the bent edge for better support than just washers.

I made a bolt plate from aluminum 1/8x1 and drilled/tapped 3/8" holes, then screwed the bolts in. Made it easier to get the bolts thru that hole, and into position without dropping them.

Bolt plate in position (and daughter put tape across the strap to hold it in place).

Bracket installed

Can installed

Didn't even need to cut the carpet.

150 degree fitting off the diff (120 degree might have worked better).

Hose curved to the drivers side, and hose clamped to the 6mm bolts of the Watson Racing roll bar plates (purchased longer screws)

Overall, it looks great. I'm getting sorta old to be crawling in and out of the trunk though!
Thanks for everyone's posts. Gave me great ideas for this one.

Last edited by a moderator:
Does anyone know what 90° fittings i need to mount in the axle tube?

Im building my diff breather/catch can locally this week, and im not sure if the 1/2" barb-3/8 NPT is for the axle tube, or the catch can.

Thank you.

TMO Supporting Vendors