The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Different Oil Separator Installations

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thinking about getting an oil separator on the passenger side... Was wondering if anyone had any opinions about JLT versus Moroso...The Moroso looks more durable and I like the fact that is has all metal fittings. Looks like you might run into less problems with it breaking... Any thoughts? (I know the Moroso is a little more expensive, but I'd rather pay a little more if it's going to last longer. I heard though that I might need to replace those"heater hoses" as they're not really designed to withstand oil)

Re: Moroso versus JLT?

I bought the Moroso for a couple of reasons. I really didn't like the thought of the can being held up by the hoses so the bracket seemed like the best way to go. I did have to do some grinding on the strut tower brace because I had to mount the bracket on top of it. The MM CC plate bolts were not long enough to use a spacer under the bracket to clear the STB.

With all the heat and vibration, I didn't think the plastic fittings were going to hold out.

It was more expensive but I don't have to worry about anything happening to it.

The JLT is shipping with a metal connector in place of the one that has been breaking. I'd prefer to use a solid mount but the Moroso looks like overkill and I don't like where it mounts for a Boss. Instead I'm going to buy the JLT and buy the optional bracket. I may not use the bracket but if I do I'll mount it under the strut brace. Here's a photo of the JLT with the bracket.

oilseparatormountpassside003.jpg

Maui

Dean That's I sweet setup.. you mind if I ask where you got the tubing (I'm assuming you didn't use that heater hose supplied with the moroso unit), the braided sleeve and the other necessary fittings? I got the moroso oil separator as well and was thinking of doing the same thing.. My father in law had suggested I get the braided sleeves, then I saw your set up and said that looks sweet....

Also how did you notch your shock tower brace to get the metal arm to fit flush?

808Boss said:
Dean That's I sweet setup.. you mind if I ask where you got the tubing (I'm assuming you didn't use that heater hose supplied with the moroso unit), the braided sleeve and the other necessary fittings? I got the moroso oil separator as well and was thinking of doing the same thing.. My father in law had suggested I get the braided sleeves, then I saw your set up and said that looks sweet....
Second.

JScheier

Too Hot for the Boss!

Dallas_Dude said:
Probably a dumb question, but why is this needed on the Boss? Is the PCV really pulling oil?

It is a common occurrence on the suction side of the PCV system to pull oil vapor... which is then inserted into the intake for 'reburn'.

Not just a Ford or Coyote / Roadrunner issue. I have the same issue on my diesel Jeep and had it on my 347ci 1986 GT.

Dean#4AI said:
It looks like I used 10AN hose and fittings.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/RUS-632153/

Here is what I used on the engine side.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/FRA-280210/

Then I used black fittings on the can.

Almost doubled the price of the oil separator but it's more durable and it looks good.

I marked where the bracket set and then used an abrasive cutoff wheel to hog the metal out and then used a dremel.
Dean any reason why you used silver fittings on one end and black on the other? Aren't they the same size? And that hose is good for oil? It's the same size hose as the stock one? Thanks!

5 DOT 0 said:
Has anyone installed the Steeda? If I'm going to buy custom hoses this looks like a nice one. It comes with aluminum fittings.

http://www.steeda.com/store/mustang-oil-separator.html

mustang-oil-separator.jpg

I guy here in town put the Steeda on, saw it while swapping out his brakes but don't have a lot more info about it.

Dean any reason why you used silver fittings on one end and black on the other? Aren't they the same size? And that hose is good for oil? It's the same size hose as the stock one? Thanks!
[/quote]

The connectors on the can side are actual AN fittings while the ones on the engine side are glorified hose clamps.
fra-280206_w.jpg

AN hose and standard hose are sized differently. The #10 AN hose fits over the PCV fittings very well.

If you are going to with the Steeda can, you would use 4 of the clamps that I have pictured. It will be cheaper, still look good and you won't have to mess with installing the AN fittings to the AN hose.

2012YellowBoss said:
5 DOT 0 said:
Has anyone installed the Steeda? If I'm going to buy custom hoses this looks like a nice one. It comes with aluminum fittings.

http://www.steeda.com/store/mustang-oil-separator.html

mustang-oil-separator.jpg

I guy here in town put the Steeda on, saw it while swapping out his brakes but don't have a lot more info about it.

Did he have it mounted or just hanging there?

Dean#4AI said:
The connectors on the can side are actual AN fittings while the ones on the engine side are glorified hose clamps.

AN hose and standard hose are sized differently. The #10 AN hose fits over the PCV fittings very well.

If you are going to with the Steeda can, you would use 4 of the clamps that I have pictured. It will be cheaper, still look good and you won't have to mess with installing the AN fittings to the AN hose.
Thanks Dean that's very helpful.

Maui

Dean#4AI said:
It looks like I used 10AN hose and fittings.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/RUS-632153/

Here is what I used on the engine side.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/FRA-280210/

Then I used black fittings on the can.

Almost doubled the price of the oil separator but it's more durable and it looks good.

I marked where the bracket set and then used an abrasive cutoff wheel to hog the metal out and then used a dremel.

Dean,
Do you happen to have the part numbers and links for the AN fittings/black fittings on the CAN side? Are they Moroso fittings as well?
Your setup looks perfect... Thanks a lot for the other links. I really appreciate it.

TMO Supporting Vendors