The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Differential Cooler and Breather

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Just finished install of Diff Breather and cooler:

Remove Diff cover and Drill/Re Tap for Temp sensor:

IMG_0846_zps42c4862e.JPG

Remove Breather and 1/2" plugs, replace with hose fiitings:

IMG_0845Medium_zps5eed5076.JPG
Use a bead of Silicon gasket and re-install Diff Cover:

IMG_0851Medium_zps8a900b01.JPG

Mount Vent to inside Wheel Arch and Cooler (with Fan) to Floor Pan:

IMG_0850Medium_zpsca06a0ed.JPG

Mount Pump in Spare wheel well:

IMG_0848Medium_zps30bc3abe.JPG

Hoses:
Lower fitting goes to cooler, upper fitting to pump outlet, to keep pump fluid temps cooler.

Wiring:
I'm using an Aerometer gauge to trigger pump and cooler fan at 230 F.

Mounted relay and manual toggle switch (to prime/drain diff fluid when I change fluid) in rear wheel well (attached to rear mounted battery box).

Ran 2 wires to Smart junction box for relay trigger (3 amp add a fuse) and power (15 amp add a fuse).

Last edited:
I used a Setrab Fan pack, recommended by the Ford Racing guys that I met on the Watson tour. Mounted it as far away from the body side as I could (which is what a Rehagen do) to maximize flow.

Will post results when I track in 2 weeks, weather allowing.....

pufferfish

Supporting Vendor
Maryland
so the oil goes out of the diff from the lower fitting, through the cooler, through the pump and then back into the diff from the upper fitting?

i would think it would cool better if the cooler was after the pump, since the pump itself will add heat? was that arrangement recommended by ford?

pufferfish said:
so the oil goes out of the diff from the lower fitting, through the cooler, through the pump and then back into the diff from the upper fitting?

i would think it would cool better if the cooler was after the pump, since the pump itself will add heat? was that arrangement recommended by ford?

Yes -- The issue is pump durability. Putting the pump before the cooler means it is pumping the oil at it's highest temperature, and beyond it's rated peak for durability.

pufferfish

Supporting Vendor
Maryland
Black Boss said:
Yes -- The issue is pump durability. Putting the pump before the cooler means it is pumping the oil at it's highest temperature, and beyond it's rated peak for durability.

that makes sense. i would be interested in finding out what kit or individual parts are too. i actually just installed the this diff cover and its predrilled and tapped for all of those fittings and the sensor. i wouldn't mind at least getting a sensor in there just to see what the temps are at the track to determine if it necessary. i would think that 20-30 minute "balls to the wall" sessions wouldn't be enough to necessitate it.

if i need it, i will want to look at another location, since my trunk is too valuable of space to lose right now.

pufferfish said:
that makes sense. i would be interested in finding out what kit or individual parts are too. i actually just installed the this diff cover and its predrilled and tapped for all of those fittings and the sensor. i wouldn't mind at least getting a sensor in there just to see what the temps are at the track to determine if it necessary. i would think that 20-30 minute "balls to the wall" sessions wouldn't be enough to necessitate it.

if i need it, i will want to look at another location, since my trunk is too valuable of space to lose right now.

I was originally just going to install a gauge and test for Diff temps, but the Ford racing guys convinced me that for hard 30 minute sessions a cooler is preferred. I will see this weekend at the Track, although ambient temps are going to cool (35-50F), I will post results………

Doug
Here’s the parts list for the Oil Cooler:

Setrab Fanpack Cooler FP119M221
Setrab Fittings 22-M22AN08 – 2 required

Best pricing I found for the Cooler was: http://carshopinc.com/

The rest of the parts, I sourced from Summit Racing:

Tilton Trans/Diff pump TIL-40-525
Aeroquip Startlite Hose 8 AN -- 7 feet required
Aeroquip Hose end AER-FBM1013 – 3 required
Aeroquip Hose end AER-FBM4033 – 3 required
Fragola pipe fittings FRA-499188 – 2 required
Pico Add a Fuse PCO-0956PT – 2 required
Painless Performance 30 amp relay PRF50102 (I didn’t use the circuit breaker)
Pico Toggle switch PCO-5511T (to manually empty/prime system during fluid change)
DEI Fire Sleeve DEI-010472 to protect hose runs under floor pan

Finally, I used an Auto Meter 5658 Elite gauge to trigger the relay. You could use a thermo switch instead. Even with the gauge this worked out several hundred dollars less than any kit I could find -- and they didn't have the gauge......

A few notes on the Install:
• I had to re-tap the Diff cover (1/8”-27 NPT) to accept the sensor (The OEM thread is metric)
• The sensor hole needs to be drilled through to the inside of the Diff cover (it’s a “blind” air pocket, stock)
• I had to cut and splice the sensor wires to the gauge – they are not long enough to reach the Diff
• The Blue wire from the Aero Meter gauge will send a ground signal when programmed to the high trigger set point. I wired the toggle switch to ground also for manual over-ride.
• The 30 amp relay is sufficient for both the Pump and the Cooler Fan, and surprisingly the supplied cable is long enough to reach the fuse box!
• I chose to run both wires to the Smart junction box one for the relay trigger (3A fuse) and one for Pump/Fan power (15A)

Hope this helps!

Black Boss said:
I was originally just going to install a gauge and test for Diff temps, but the Ford racing guys convinced me that for hard 30 minute sessions a cooler is preferred. I will see this weekend at the Track, although ambient temps are going to cool (35-50F), I will post results....

Spent the day at the track. First session ambient temp of 34F diff temp got to 200 F after 20 mins. Fourth session ambient of 43F diff temp got to 225F after 20 mins. Temps rise quickly late in session. I anticipate that at higher ambient temps and 30 min sessions this is a wise addition . Temps forecast in the low 50's tomorrow .......

Do you have the part number for the breather? I remember YellowBoss used something similar if not identical on his. I have the Bob's expansion tank and am thinking of adding the breather instead. Are there any issues with using the breather inside the trunk with the carpet installed?

NFSBOSS said:
Do you have the part number for the breather? I remember YellowBoss used something similar if not identical on his. I have the Bob's expansion tank and am thinking of adding the breather instead. Are there any issues with using the breather inside the trunk with the carpet installed?

I used the Allstar breather, part number 36108, sourced from Summit Racing it was about $65.

Update on Diff temps -- running 30 minute sessions in mid 80's ambient Diff fluid peaked at 240F with cooler. Temperature climbs quickly after the first 10-15 minutes. I have my pump set to kick in at 210F. Pump kicks in after about 10-15 minutes (depending on ambient and time from previous run) and remains on for about 5 minutes after cool down lap....

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
Cooler is really important, I saw temps at 270 when I forgot to switch on the pump Saturday in 80 degree heat at VIR, with pump running I was holding at 235-240. Flyboygsxr lost an axle seal this weekend, it really is needed for committed track rats and racers. I am going to do a fluid change to Redline 75W140 after about 10 track hours on my last Motorcraft fill. Street use should not even come into the equation as I rarely see 155 degrees when driving on the street or highways.
Steve

TMO Supporting Vendors