The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Differential Cooler and Breather

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Just finished install of Diff Breather and cooler:

Remove Diff cover and Drill/Re Tap for Temp sensor:

IMG_0846_zps42c4862e.JPG

Remove Breather and 1/2" plugs, replace with hose fiitings:

IMG_0845Medium_zps5eed5076.JPG
Use a bead of Silicon gasket and re-install Diff Cover:

IMG_0851Medium_zps8a900b01.JPG

Mount Vent to inside Wheel Arch and Cooler (with Fan) to Floor Pan:

IMG_0850Medium_zpsca06a0ed.JPG

Mount Pump in Spare wheel well:

IMG_0848Medium_zps30bc3abe.JPG

Hoses:
Lower fitting goes to cooler, upper fitting to pump outlet, to keep pump fluid temps cooler.

Wiring:
I'm using an Aerometer gauge to trigger pump and cooler fan at 230 F.

Mounted relay and manual toggle switch (to prime/drain diff fluid when I change fluid) in rear wheel well (attached to rear mounted battery box).

Ran 2 wires to Smart junction box for relay trigger (3 amp add a fuse) and power (15 amp add a fuse).

Last edited:
How about a two bung canister and use the second to vent under the car. I could cap the the vent. That would make this a very long vent tube with a can to catch any oil that travels that far. :)

The friction modifier in not needed with the Torsen diff and I don't use it.

Great, now I got another fluid to worry about while tracking...
So how much does one of these diff cooling systems cost anyways? Two arms and a leg? Because I'm running out of limbs :p

NFSBOSS said:
How about a two bung canister and use the second to vent under the car. I could cap the the vent. That would make this a very long vent tube with a can to catch any oil that travels that far. :)

The friction modifier in not needed with the Torsen diff and I don't use it.

I don't use friction modifier (as you say, not required and Redline has some additive anyway). I haven't had an issue with poop smell, but I have no carpet or side trim in the trunk to "retain" odor. I also open the trunk after each run to enable the heat from the cooler to escape, as it continues to run for 5 minutes or so.

My recommendation would be to buy the two bung, keep the vent and plug the second bung for a trial period. That way you don't have to drill a second hole for the vent if you don't need it :)

F.D. Sako said:
Great, now I got another fluid to worry about while tracking...
So how much does one of these diff cooling systems cost anyways? Two arms and a leg? Because I'm running out of limbs :p

The lowest cost kit I could find was $1200, with no gauge. The list of parts I posted above is about $720 plus about $170 for the gauge. The kits use a thermo switch instead which is probably about $25, but I wanted to be able to see the diff fluid temps. These costs assume you have the 2013 Diff cover (I had already had already upgraded).

So a bit less than two arms and a leg ;)

But the real question is how hard do we track our cars and are we running hard for longer sessions. If so what's the cost of us loosing time at the track and then having to replace the Diff or seals :mad:

Black Boss said:
I don't use friction modifier (as you say, not required and Redline has some additive anyway). I haven't had an issue with poop smell, but I have no carpet or side trim in the trunk to "retain" odor. I also open the trunk after each run to enable the heat from the cooler to escape, as it continues to run for 5 minutes or so.

My recommendation would be to buy the two bung, keep the vent and plug the second bung for a trial period. That way you don't have to drill a second hole for the vent if you don't need it :)
That's a great idea.

TMO Supporting Vendors