The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Differential drain plug

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This might be discussed somewhere else, but I wasn't able to find it.

Has anyone added a drain plug to the diff cover? I still have the stock cover with the cooling fins. Looks like it would be easy enough to drill and tap to accept a conventional drain plug. Just wondering if anyone's had any experience with this.

Also has anyone added an external pump driven diff cooler? I haven't had any luck finding one on the internet. I sounds like they're including it on the new Shelby if you get the track pack, so I imagine Ford Racing will probably start selling these in a few months.

Hermes

I had a shop install them. I believe they used 3/8" plugs but I'm not 100% positive. No diff cooler is needed running HDPE events at 20-30 minute durations.

P1020819.jpg

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Hermes said:
This might be discussed somewhere else, but I wasn't able to find it.

Has anyone added a drain plug to the diff cover? I still have the stock cover with the cooling fins. Looks like it would be easy enough to drill and tap to accept a conventional drain plug. Just wondering if anyone's had any experience with this.

Also has anyone added an external pump driven diff cooler? I haven't had any luck finding one on the internet. I sounds like they're including it on the new Shelby if you get the track pack, so I imagine Ford Racing will probably start selling these in a few months.

Hermes

The "flanges" on the stock cover are not positioned properly to scavenge the trough at the bottom of the pumpkin where much fluid rests, so I don't think it will be adequate for drainage.

They are, however well positioned for diff cooler recirc lines, and Rehagen sells two kits that can be installed using these locations.

Click here then scroll down: http://rehagenracingproducts.com/category.sc;jsessionid=8BAC8BCE20E9965A60BD1DA4BE22EB41.qscstrfrnt01?categoryId=16

Changer diff oil twice so far using a pump. Thinking about adding plugs one of these days but pump works fine.

I want to thank everyone for all the quick info. I was thinking of doing what Rick and Scott have, just wondering if anyone had tried this before I gave it a shot. Rick, from your pictures it looks like your plugs are the same as the factory trans drain and fill plugs, which do use a 3/8" hex wrench, but not sure of thread. I'll probably pick one up from Ford and keep everything consistent.

I was only think of adding the lower plug for draining for now. Is there any benefit to the upper plug [i.e. vent during drainage?] Do you guys typically fill using the forward facing plug on the housing or do you fill using the upper plug? I could see where this might work better [pump lube in to upper hole in cover until it starts to trickle out of normal fill hole]. I've had cases with my old Bronco where the fill tube fit so tight that the lube never flowed out even when it was above the fill hole.

Did check out the Rehagen Racing cooler which looks like a nice set up. I like how the added a temp sensor so they could tell whats going on back there. Might wait and see how things work since I'm just going to track my car for the first time next week and I doubt I'll be pushing the car hard until I get some experience. Might add a temp sensor before I decide if I should get a cooler.

Its funny this should come up, as I was wondering about this myself.

To add fuel to the fire, I stopped by a local dealer here where they had a 2013 Boss up on a pair of those ramps they use to show cars off at the dealership. When I looked under the Boss at the rear cover, they were already tapped with the plugs in it on both the top and bottom. Got me to thinking that I should biznitch to my dealer to try and get them to swap out my cover for one with the plugs in it under warranty. I have a pic of the diff cover on the car up on the ramps, and if I had time to figure out how to post it I would.

What do you guys think, should I try to get my dealership to change out my cover under warranty?

If it works, let me know. Local shop wants almost $500 to do a drain and fill and tap the cover. Best price I have found in the area.

jneary

Performance Fords
Norcal
yeah, I noticed that last night but those come without bolts and gaskets. I guess that's OK if you don't need them....

John

TMO Supporting Vendors