The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Differential Noise While Turning - Not Whine

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hey guys,

I just got back from a weekend at the track.
Now, while making moderate to small radius turns, my diff makes weird grinding/marble noises. My guess is I broke/ chipped a few teeth in the LSD. Before I get time to pop the cover off, or drop the car at a shop, I wanted to hear your thoughts and opinions.

Thanks!

Is that part of the 5 year drive train warranty?

The repair should / would be covered under the powertrain warranty. Don't forget to point out to the dealer you previous issues to include ring and pinion replacement.

I'm hesitant to take it to the dealer for the following reasons.

- I have a cortex wattslink. I'm afraid they'd mess up the re-install. Also the slight chance they'd blame the wattslink would turn into a hassle and more down time.
- I already don't trust their gear alignment skills.
- and finally, I have a planned event at VIR this weekend!! With waiting for Ford warranty approval - along with parts delivery, the car would never be ready by this Thursday.

Sad thing is, with work this week, I won't even have time to pop the cover off myself :(

Well, I hope it holds together for the weekend. Any possibility Rev Auto or someone else can do an inspection this week? Are you showing up Thursday or Friday night at VIR?

Blowfish Racing will be looking at the diff tomorrow. I just placed an order for almost all of the parts in the diff, in case they need replacement. If they don't, I'll either return them, sell them, or keep them as spares.

It's going to be a tight squeeze, but at this time VIR is still a go!

Steve, my plan is to get there Thursday night and track the full three days like a mad man :eek:

Wanted to provide an update on the problem. Turns out it was some loose suspension components, specifically wattslink link and a lower control arm. I had previously torqued and marked some of the stuff... I guess I did not do a good enough job.

Now what do to do with all these rear parts ::)

So, see you all at VIR!

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
F.D. Sako said:
Wanted to provide an update on the problem. Turns out it was some loose suspension components, specifically wattslink link and a lower control arm. I had previously torqued and marked some of the stuff... I guess I did not do a good enough job.

Now what do to do with all these rear parts ::)

So, see you all at VIR!

Either send the parts back or break the rear diff. Your call!! :eek:

Great news. Wish I could make the trip. Family wedding. :'(

I have no plans of breaking my diff to use the parts ;D Most likely ill be returning the parts and take the shipping charge hit.

Tracy, looks like you couldn't get away from the wedding!

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel