The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Differential Noise

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I was coming off the track yesterday after a 20 minute session and once I slowed down I could here the rear differential making more noise than I thought it should. Almost like a clacking sound as I was driving a steady state at about 5 mph. I just recently re-installed my cats so the exhaust isn't anywhere near as loud as it used to be. I guess the rear has always done this but I am just now being able to hear it. Once the rear cooled down it was business as normal. I checked the oil level, FOMOCO rear end fluid, and it's fine. I was wondering if others experience this as well?

Aluminum drive shaft and hemi joint LCAs, so it transfers a lot of NVH. However it only makes this noise when coming off the track, never on the road. I flushed the fluid, removed the cover during the process, 3 track events ago and didn't see anything, fine "hairs" or any other abnormal wear marks that would cause a concern. I'm not going to worry about it, just curious if others were experiencing the same thing. Guess its time to invest in a cooler....

Having my rear diff overhauled now - lost pinion bearing and ring, pinion gear due to the bad bearing causing lash issues. Seems that under high load (track regularly but no drag racing) the sleeve that provides the pre-load on the pinon continues to crush beyond it's limits and overloads the timken style pinion bearing causing the ring and pinion to wear beyond spec.

My dealer actually caught the noise under cold slow speed conditions - I never heard or felt anything, tech said it felt like a slight chatter.

On another note Ford will not replace the T82 with a rebuilt unit even though 2/3/4/5 are completely trashed, they make the dealer rebuild in-house. Had to escalate to Ford CS to get them to actually replace all the bearings in the trans as "that's not required as the bearings are not damaged" - hell you can't even see the magnet due to all the filings and shrapnel on it- but of course those bearings are just fine.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Texas
I had some noise but it was my DSS driveshaft. I have had nothing but issues with that thing. I could rant and rave about how big of a PITA it has been. This last time I took it out I contemplated taking it out back and shooting it. The CV joint failed on it again for the second time. It only has about 2k miles on it since the last warranty repair. They cut my DS too short so they sent me a spacer to make up for the difference. I should have said no, just give me a new DS but at this point I am just tired of dealing with that thing. Rant over

Adam

TMO Supporting Vendors