The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Differential vent

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I was having fluid accumulate around the diff cover and thought I may have had a leak. It appears the vent was releasing oil on to the cover. Apparently there is a TSB to install a longer tube to correct this problem. Anyone heard of this and had this corrected?

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
teamconn said:
I was having fluid accumulate around the diff cover and thought I may have had a leak. It appears the vent was releasing oil on to the cover. Apparently there is a TSB to install a longer tube to correct this problem. Anyone heard of this and had this corrected?
Venting rear end fluids is common on our cars.

If you track the car, the vending is excessive.

I installed a vent car, from Shelby on my Boss. Several companies make these. the system has a can to catch the fluid kicked out. The can is mounted above the diff. The fluid simply drains back into the diff. No mess.

A turkey baster is an option also. Its a rubber bulb like device added to the vent. It catches the fluid and allows it to drain back into the rear end. Not too effective on track.

There are several older threads on the subject here. A search should give you plenty to read.

Anyone who tracks their Boss has had to address the fluid vent issue.

Check the DIY forum for making your own. I do not recommend the cans that mount above the diff.

Rick - I agree 100% about not using the Bob's style diff vent reservoir. I tried several different orientations of the vent hose and fitting and never could make it work without it making contact on bigger bumps and dips. Eventually the fitting cracked.

I replaced it with the JLT style one, which only mounts with one bolt and can be angled to clear the diff. I am lowered on coilovers and I have never had any contact.

http://jlttruecoldair.com/ZenCart/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=357_399&products_id=642

TMO Supporting Vendors