The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Difficulty level of Changing Axel Back Mufflers

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hey Guys,

Just got a pair of Corsa Extreme Axel backs and looking for feedback from those that have changed out their stock mufflers by themselves in their driveway.

I have ramps and thinking of backing the car up on them, then maybe jacking the rear end up a bit and putting the car on jack stands (back end only) so the suspension is free to hang? Is that even necessary and if so, how do you do that without using the rear diff as a jack point to lift it up? According to the owners manual.....lifting by the rear diff is a NO NO.

If it's too much of a hassle I may just take it to the local muffler shop and have them do it for $90 <----seems like a bit of a rip off given there are only two clamps to remove and pop the hangers out of their rubber grommets?

If you like working on things, it is pretty easy to do just on ramps. It is best to unbolt the hangers, at least one bolt is a little hidden above the muffler body but once you see it you can get it. You will also probably need to yank the spot-welded clamp off the original mufflers to re-use with the new ones. Just grab it with some pliers and twist it back and forth a few times and it will pop off.

Champale said:
If you like working on things, it is pretty easy to do just on ramps. It is best to unbolt the hangers, at least one bolt is a little hidden above the muffler body but once you see it you can get it. You will also probably need to yank the spot-welded clamp off the original mufflers to re-use with the new ones. Just grab it with some pliers and twist it back and forth a few times and it will pop off.

Thanks. Did you have to remove the hanger because you couldn't pull the hangers out of their rubber grommets due to clearance with the axel pipe? Corsa's come with two quality clamps, so can leave the stockers as is, which is great, as I want to be able to put them back on if the Corsa's don't work out.

I have done the axlebacks 4 times on 2 different Bosses and in my opinion it is just easier to unbolt the hangers than struggle with yanking on the prongs on the muffler. There just isn't a whole lot of space to maneuver them down and off the hanger if you don't unbolt it.

I did Corsa Black Sport quad tip mufflers on ramps,not to difficult,I used wise grips to push the hanger out of the rubber which was the hardest part of the job.They do sell a tool for this ,but I figured I would only ever use it once.

Thanks for all the info. guys. Think I"ll give it a shot and will post my impressions afterwards.

I've done it few times as well. I found letting the axle droop and letting the Panhard bar/ brace hang gave enough room to not have to mess with unbolting the muffler hangers. But... Working on cars is like skinning cats. 1000 different ways. (Not that I've ever skinned a cat) Good luck. You will like the Corsa's. Great quality and sound. ;D

TMO Supporting Vendors