The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Dirty Queens Racing Trailer

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
I'm looking forward to seeing the dirty girl at RA in a few months Steve. It's going to look pretty sweet with the Woods Brothers Baus rolling in on it ;)

Very nice Steve!

cloud9 said:
Almost makes me long for my open trailer again :'( Of course that wouldn't leave any room for the wife's ride.
Your current setup looks pretty sweet. You don't like it?

NFSBOSS said:
Very nice Steve!
Your current setup looks pretty sweet. You don't like it?
I love everything about it except the fuel economy.......6.5-8.5 mpg :eek: Also a 30 mph cross wind can be a bit of a PITA. It's just a tradeoff for more room and riding inside.

drano38

Wayne
Looks great Steve!
Now putting spare wheels, jack, etc in the tow vehicle makes a track event so much nicer.
If you don't have tie down straps yet, I'd strongly recommend Mac's. And they can be made red to match your color scheme. Get the bag to store them--well worth it.
http://www.macscustomtiedowns.com/
In the back, I use axle straps with Mac's padded collars to protect the wheels, and the ratchet has a direct hook on the trailer side to keep it short for my D-ring locations.
Front, I have custom length axle straps around the A-arms, and criss-crossed forward to D-rings. These axle straps are long enough to get the rings in front of the splitter when I hook up the winch hook.
Give Mac's a call, tell them about your trailer/Mustang, and they'll have a solution.

steveespo

Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
drano38 said:
Looks great Steve!
Now putting spare wheels, jack, etc in the tow vehicle makes a track event so much nicer.
If you don't have tie down straps yet, I'd strongly recommend Mac's. And they can be made red to match your color scheme. Get the bag to store them--well worth it.
http://www.macscustomtiedowns.com/
In the back, I use axle straps with Mac's padded collars to protect the wheels, and the ratchet has a direct hook on the trailer side to keep it short for my D-ring locations.
Front, I have custom length axle straps around the A-arms, and criss-crossed forward to D-rings. These axle straps are long enough to get the rings in front of the splitter when I hook up the winch hook.
Give Mac's a call, tell them about your trailer/Mustang, and they'll have a solution.
Thanks everyone, the trailer sell was easy because the wife hates driving her truck cross country to support the addiction......I mean tracking. When we retire I will get a 2 car enclosed RV style rig to traverse the circuits but for now open is fine, tilt function was a bonus. Sure beats my old boat trailer with "custom welded angle iron frame/pine deck" we built circa 1989 to haul my '87 GT drag car!

As far as tie downs does anyone use/approve of over the tire straps? I was thinking those up front and over axle straps on the rear. Also planning to have a winch on the front so maybe can attach a nylon strap through front tow hook and use the winch as a 5th point safety. Any coments or pictures will be welcome. Do we have a tie down how to? Guess i will search.
Steve

Steve - a friend of mine turned me on to Mac's Tie Downs like Wayne suggested above. They are worth the money. I used to tied down over the front LCAs and rear axle on my open trailer on both Mustangs. I have now gone to through the wheel with the padded/reinforced Mac's straps both front and rear. I haven't had any issues and have logged several thousand miles with that setup. It's really a PITA to run the straps over the rear axle, and you have to cross them around the diff or you'll cut the one on the passenger side due to rubbing against the sharp edge of the panhard bar brace (wonder how I know)

http://www.macscustomtiedowns.com/product/78/UltraPacks

Sesshomurai

I'm looking into "side" wheel harnesses. I'm wondering if the through-wheel straps will interfere or pull on the wheel well/fender or splitter (if run under the front) if the tie down on the trailer is in front of the wheel.

steveespo said:
Thanks Gary, Wayne
I will try the through wheel straps front and rear. Do you have to X the rear? Sorry for all the ?s but I have n't done this in a long time, and I don't think we ever did it right :eek: :D
No worries on the questions. I had the same ones myself. You can just go straight up and back with the straps.

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
steveespo said:
Just paid for my new addition to the Dirty Queens Racing Team. Picking up on the way back from Daytona in 2 weeks. The BAUS 302 will no longer have to travel under it's own power to go grazing at far away playgrounds (Road America, VIR, Watkins Glen and in 2014 Daytona).
Aluma 8218 Tilt, good recommendation from Pete.
Steve

I'm so proud ! My trailer has a kissing cousin ! ;D Right now mine is buried under 3' of snow..

nice looking trailer! i have an 18 ft wood decked open for my jeep (and i suppose my new boss), but was considering upgrading to an enclosed set up (keep the road debris off the car in bad weather).

did you shop any enclosed trailers? Does anyone have a recommendation on enclosed trailers?

Best of luck with it!

drano38

Wayne
steveespo said:
Thanks Gary, Wayne
I will try the through wheel straps front and rear. Do you have to X the rear? Sorry for all the ?s but I have n't done this in a long time, and I don't think we ever did it right :eek: :D

Steve, here's a post w/ pics of how I tie mine down.
https://trackmustangsonline.com/index.php?topic=2133.0
At 45 years young, I'm too old to use the rear diff. Thru the wheel w/ a padded strap then to a D-ring is the smart way.
Up front, you may need an idler D-ring in front of the tire to hold the strap below your splitter as it goes to your tie down. Something like this that fits E-track, but there could be bolt down versions too.
http://www.macscustomtiedowns.com/product/26/ETrack

Mac's makes custom wheel nets. They also make wheel straps.
Suggest measuring where your trailer anchors are, give Mac's a call, and have them give you recommendations. The lady was great when I called her last year.

yknot

Hobbies: Hot Rods & Shooting
I've purchased and built several open and enclosed car trailers, and while the aluminum one pictured was OK, I think it was a little over priced for what you received. No front air dam, Storeage boxes, tie down points, rather thin in the strength department and regular grade axles from what I can see. Yes, maybe things have gone up since my last trailer purchase, July of 2005, but I think you could have done better. But if your happy I'm very happy for you.

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
steveespo said:
Thanks Gary, Wayne

1) You should cross the front and the rear.
2) Going through the wheels with a good set of straps (I use MAC) never caused me any issues.
3) On our trailers (mine is 21' but I assume it's the same) the height of the car, even with the full sized splittter, causes no problems with strap clearance.
4) Even though it's a tilt, with my model and the full sized splitter I need Race Ramps to clear the splitter when driving it on the trailer. I use their RR-TR-5 model. http://www.raceramps.com/trailer-ramps-loading-and-hauling-extensions.aspx
5) Did you get a Breakaway Kit ? ? ?

-Pete

steveespo

Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
yknot said:
I've purchased and built several open and enclosed car trailers, and while the aluminum one pictured was OK, I think it was a little over priced for what you received. No front air dam, Storeage boxes, tie down points, rather thin in the strength department and regular grade axles from what I can see. Yes, maybe things have gone up since my last trailer purchase, July of 2005, but I think you could have done better. But if your happy I'm very happy for you.

The price listed is high and I got $500 off but still a lot I agree. Wanted aluminum and Featherlites are comparably $1500 more. Why do you say thin in the strength dept? Pete has the 21 ft version and I have checked his out and the construction seemed good and he is pleased with it, one of the reasons I looked at Aluma.
Has 4 recessed D rings, 8 rail stake pockets and the front headache bar to secure things to. Has breakaway kit, aluminum wheels, 3500 lb axles which are class standard , radial tires rated to 1760 each. The airda, I didn't discuss because I am going to try and get a deal on it and the spare when I pick up, if not I'll have one fabricated locally. Wheels are ford pattern so I can check offset and find a steel 6" rim and mount a spare if need be. I did try to find what I wanted used but there isn't much out there on ebay, Craig's, racing junk.com etc and what ads I did see looked kinda sketchy you know, I'd rather buy brand new so I know the equipment is taken care of.
Thanks all
Steve

TMO Supporting Vendors