The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Disconnecting Skip Shift on 2012's

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Re: Disconnecting Skip Shift

I wanted to clarify that the skip shift connector is on the passenger side of the transmission. It is hard to tell from the illustration. Please correct me if I am wrong. There is another connector below that I mistaken as it and as I was driving I saw a low fuel warning flash up. I assume that is a fuel sensor.

badasbullitt said:
I wanted to clarify that the skip shift connector is on the passenger side of the transmission. It is hard to tell from the illustration. Please correct me if I am wrong. There is another connector below that I mistaken as it and as I was driving I saw a low fuel warning flash up. I assume that is a fuel sensor.

Correct and all the way up top.

2012YellowBoss said:
badasbullitt said:

Correct and all the way up top.

Thanks for verifying that! Since it was still a little warm I wasn't able to get to close.

My 2013 was made in March, I have never seen anything light up on the dash ,and always use the red key , but it does have it on the car , probably blocked out in the software , my plug fell off of mine ;) , Craig.

I disconnected mine, it was bad in slow stop and go traffic. Now only the light comes on :)

yknot

Hobbies: Hot Rods & Shooting

Sorry to bust the bubble here, but my 2013 Boss does not have the Skip-Shift feature either. But to it's defense, I generally take off in 2nd gear, and skip right to 4th gear in town, then to 5th for most of the commute. I only use 1st gear on hills, where take off is harder.

BrianDeTienne said:
Man, I have to get this disabled. I have gone 1st to 4th on a few different occasions and thought it was operator error. ;D
Do it and don't look back. The connector is up high on the passenger side of the trans. Unplug it, wrap it in tape and zip tie it so it's not flapping around.

Justin said:
best way I have found to disable it is to just drive with the trackey lol

The track key is the best way to disable it cause if yu unplug it and have any issues Ive been told by my dealer that it will have a code that cannot be erased and will void your warranty on the transmission.

If the Ecu can detect an unplugged solenoid then I am going to theorize they might monitor the current draw to detect it. I don't see any other sensors close enough to the solenoid to be monitoring it either. So if you get the mating connector, crimp pins or sockets, and a resistor matching the solenoid impedance you might be all set. At the very least it is a good idea to spend around twelve bucks to get the connectors to keep the originals clean. You could even secure the dud connectors back to back to keep the cable from flopping around. From the pictures I suspect I have a few of those and will post part numbers once I get to do this in the spring. Unless someone else can verify the coil resistance and connectors?

jeepinocala said:
The track key is the best way to disable it cause if yu unplug it and have any issues Ive been told by my dealer that it will have a code that cannot be erased and will void your warranty on the transmission.

Not true from everything I have learned and know about this. Talked it over with some very knowledgeable techs and all have told me it leaves no error codes. They could be wrong but I tend to trust them.
EDIT, now I am being told by someone else they were told it will show up, maybe I got the wrong info. It would be kind of hard to prove that disconnecting this would cause any harm to the trans for warranty service in any case.

jneary

Performance Fords
Norcal
My 2013 boss (#10) has skip shift. It is annoying so I just press harder on the throttle but sometimes it goes into 4th if I baby it and if you let the clutch out like you are going into 2nd, it can whack the drivetrain and get into that jerky motion like you are lugging it...

Not a big deal most if the time though as I tend to have a lead foot....

Jneary: There is something wrong if you are experiencing skip shift in your '13. They did not come with it from the factory. That might be a different issue you should have Ford look at.

I tend to get bit by it every other time I leave my house. She is loud without baffles and Roush ABs, and I try not to piss off the neighbors or attract attention from the local PD. They patrol heavily in my area. But they have a lot of rice to chase if they feel like it :).

Just get in the habit of going 1-3-5-6 when you are not in a hurry and problem is solved. I know some of you will say just start in 2nd, but I would rather not have to feather the clutch so much and cause more wear that way.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel