The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Disconnecting Skip Shift on 2012's

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Re: Disconnecting Skip Shift

rom said:
sorry to DIG UP an old thread, but I am a novice:
Scott do I DISCONNECT BOTH the cable connector AND the solenoid connector ,
or just the solenoid connector?

and is it doable without ramps or lift?

thanks in advance and sorry again for digging that up and showing off my novice-ity !

Dean#4AI said:
Just remove the cable connector from the solenoid connector. I put mine on jackstands since it is at the top of the tranny.

Thanks Dean, I too always lift the car to have better access for what I am doing.

Just to clarify the cable connector and the solenoid connector are the same piece put together. In other words you pull just one connector out, the "cable connector" from the "solenoid connector" that pic could be labeled better.

Don't sweat it, very easy to do. Take a look up there and if it is not clear ask away here again.

Can someone explain to me why Ford even implemented this feature? I don't understand it at all. To me it would make SOME sense that if you reach a high speed in 1st gear it would encourage you somehow to skip 2nd or 3rd (I'd still hate it but there's at least some logic in it).

However ... if I understand this correctly, if I pull up slowly in 1st it's gonna force me to go into 4 right away, which would probably almost stall the car? Where's the logic in this? I don't quite get it.

It does definitely sounds like something I'll look into disabling ASAP. Would be nice to decide for myself what gear to be in ;)

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!

TheMarco said:
Can someone explain to me why Ford even implemented this feature? I don't understand it at all. To me it would make SOME sense that if you reach a high speed in 1st gear it would encourage you somehow to skip 2nd or 3rd (I'd still hate it but there's at least some logic in it).

However ... if I understand this correctly, if I pull up slowly in 1st it's gonna force me to go into 4 right away, which would probably almost stall the car? Where's the logic in this? I don't quite get it.

It does definitely sounds like something I'll look into disabling ASAP. Would be nice to decide for myself what gear to be in ;)
they did this to get 26mpg and 19 city on the mpg test so they could get more buyers.

boss2511 said:
TheMarco said:

they did this to get 26mpg and 19 city on the mpg test so they could get more buyers.

Hmmm. Driving at 1500 rpm max. How fun!
Still, this should really have been some sort of 'fuel saver mode' that you can disable through the push of some button. If this thing 'hits you' when in traffic I think it's actually kind of unsafe. I think I'll ask my dealer to just disconnect this immediately.

It only triggers if you are barely pushing the throttle, if you are giving it a little gas then it doesn't. It also only triggers if you are shifting from first at 15-20 mph (I don't remember the exact range, but it is around there). So if you are trying to pass or something, you would not be shifting then and you would not be giving it so little throttle. It has been on several cars for a while and it is annoying but I don't recall anyone blaming it for an accident. Avoids gas guzzler tax and easy to remove.

Skip shift will activate when (to the best of my knowledge)

Engine temp greater than 170 degrees F
Start from a dead stop
Vehicle speed between 15 and 19 mph
Throttle pedal less than 25% open
Engine speed greater than 1200 rpm

Now sooner or later someone will say there car does not have it. However there are no special cars they all have skip shift and they all work from the factory.

There are times when it can be misleading like pulling away from a light behind a slow car. The light in the dash will read out whatever the wording is (I forget) but you actually are not forced into fourth. This can happen because you pulled out easy, activated the message then hit the throttle harder before shifting out of first gear. In fact if you do not have it disconnect and see the message this is one way of stopping skip shift from forcing you into fourth, just a quick blip on the throttle.

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!

I used to see it all the time with the silver key but it never made me go into 4th I dont remember what I was doing to not make me go there but I would see the message. but I have been running the trackey for a while now dont have to worry about that anymore :)

boss2511 said:
I used to see it all the time with the silver key but it never made me go into 4th I dont remember what I was doing to not make me go there but I would see the message. but I have been running the trackey for a while now dont have to worry about that anymore :)

350 miles in on my Boss now and I have yet to see this come up...

Means you are driving it right. Only time I ever saw it was when I was headed home and babying it for the last mile to let the temps go down before parking. Old turbo car habit.

Dvendet

Everyone's entitled to my opinion. ;)

2012YellowBoss said:

Start from a dead stop

Now sooner or later someone will say there car does not have it. However there are no special cars they all have skip shift and they all work from the factory.

There are times when it can be misleading like pulling away from a light behind a slow car. The light in the dash will read out whatever the wording is (I forget) but you actually are not forced into fourth. This can happen because you pulled out easy, activated the message then hit the throttle harder before shifting out of first gear. In fact if you do not have it disconnect and see the message this is one way of stopping skip shift from forcing you into fourth, just a quick blip on the throttle.
YelloBoss,

There seems to be doubt as to whether or not the 13's actually have skip-shift installed. Had you heard anything?

MMD

MakeMyDay said:
2012YellowBoss said:

Start from a dead stop

YelloBoss,

There seems to be doubt as to whether or not the 13's actually have skip-shift installed. Had you heard anything?

MMD

Yesterday I tried really hard to create the appropriate conditions but nothing happened. I really wonder whether the car even has it.

I do not have a 2013 but if someone wanted to bet me the 13 does not have it I would love to double my money. (I'm sure it is there :))

Both the 2012 and 2013 Boss/ GT5.0 have skip shift. Skip shift was created to meet CAFE and CARB fuel ecomony standards. If Ford didn't use skip shift the 5.0 engine would not have meet minimun fuel ecomony standards and we all would be paying gas guzzler tax at purchase which isn't cheap (Approx $1000 per car). GM has been using skip shift for years on the Corvette and now the Camaro. Additionally, Trackey disables skip shift when it is in use, but only on 2012 models. My opinion is the California Air Research Board (CARB) is responsible for 2013s still having skip shift active with trackey, that and the fact that we get on forums and tell the world (CARB) we use trackey on the street which is against CAFE/CARB standards. Not that it matters, just say'in!

Dvendet

Geez - I'm still on both sides of the fence on this issue. I am leaning though toward no skip-shift on the 13. I just went to the Trac Key web site and I quote (from tech notes):

Whenever the TracKey is used to start the vehicle, many engine control characteristics are changed to be more suitable for track use. These include:

Twin Independent Variable Cam Timing (TiVCT)
Engine braking
Ignition timing
Wide-Open Throttle fueling
Accelerator pedal map
Idle speed
Throttle response
Skip-shift disable (Available for 2012 Boss 302, not necessary on 2013 model)

How do you interpret this last line?

MMD

MMD, that seems to mean that it doesn't have skip shift. What is odd is that the Trackey instructions word it differently. Maybe they updated the wording on the site but didn't bother changing the PDF, that would explain the confusion.

Whenever the TracKey is used to start the vehicle, many engine control characteristics
are changed to be more suitable for track use. These include:
• Ignition timing
• Twin Independent Variable Cam
Timing (TiVCT)
• Wide-Open Throttle fueling
• Engine braking
• Accelerator pedal map
• Idle speed
• Throttle response
• Cooling fan activation temps
• Skip-shift disable (2012 only)

According to the salesman that sold me my car, the 2013's don't have skip shift. They are one of the largest Mustang dealerships in the country, and seemed as knowledgable anout the car as anyone I have talked to. My car is still on order, so I don't have first hand experience with it, but, until someone proves otherwise, I'm assuming this to be correct.

Looks like the 12 is 17/26 and the 13 is 15/26 mpg rating (per Edmunds). No skip shift would explain that.

Dvendet

All,

I finally came up with the definitive answer on this tpoic of whether the 2013 Boss has skip-shift. According to "Ray" over at Ford Racing, the 2013 Boss does "not" have skip-shift. Ray was confident about this. I called him earlier and he wasn't sure. He ask for my contact info and said he would investigate. Three hours later Ray calls and gave me the scoop. He also indicated I can quote him that this is Ford Racing's official response. So there you go. Hope nobody here is upset by this!

MMD

MakeMyDay said:
All,

I finally came up with the definitive answer on this tpoic of whether the 2013 Boss has skip-shift. According to "Ray" over at Ford Racing, the 2013 Boss does "not" have skip-shift. Ray was confident about this. I called him earlier and he wasn't sure. He ask for my contact info and said he would investigate. Three hours later Ray calls and gave me the scoop. He also indicated I can quote him that this is Ford Racing's official response. So there you go. Hope nobody here is upset by this!

MMD

I'm not it appears I was wrong about the 2013 Boss. Lucky for you 2013 guys as its a feature the Boss doesn't need IMO. Thanks for clearing this one up.

Chris

TMO Supporting Vendors