The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

S197 Dixon Motorsports - Atlanta Build Thread Profile - S197 Mustangs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
So are you running with SCCA , also , in CAM C? Wondered if you are running the Rival S 1.5s on your 2014? Cool you run with BMW Club and are whipping up on the Bavarian MotorWerks muu-sheens!! Nice build and always good to see more Autocrossers signing up! Welcome!

Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Dawsonville, GA
I don't currently run with SCCA here in Atlanta, but have built my car within the CAM-C specs in case I ever did. I am just not a huge fan of their schedule and with it being a 1.5 hour drive to the site, only getting 4 runs doesn't make it super enticing either. Plus, they usually only have one or two other cars competing in CAM-C.

With BMW, I get 8 runs and when I run some PCA events, I get 10. The division I run in is X3, so none-BMW cars with a certain mod points calculation. Usually there are 12-15 cars at each event that I compete against.

I do believe the tires are the 1.5s, whatever the most recent are. I have only ran two events on them and my prior set up was 18x9.5 wheels with 285/35 RS-4s.

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Just wondering as it is looks set up for CAM C except for the tires ( most are running bigger rubber now). CAM C is growing Nationwide by droves , so something you might want to look into in the future as more and more competitors are showing up.

Sounds like you have a decent set up and congrats on doing so well in your Class. Always interesting to hear of new groups around the Country, and we are spoiled where my son and I live as we are 45 and 60 miles away from the Solo Nationals site respectively. You should do really well this year as the BFG Rival S 1.5s are quite a bit faster than the RS-4s.

Look forward to reading your posts.

Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Dawsonville, GA
My Roush splitter ripped off on the highway and took out the bumper attachment points as well as the splash guard on the way home from my last autocross. I had to improvise with the install of the LVA splitter. I have 17 attachment points on this thing, with 5 of those being attached to the chassis.

I also moved from the Eibach Sportline springs to H&R race springs, which upped the spring rate tremendously.

Had a terrible autocross though. The course was definitely set up for smaller, more nimble cars. I'll get the results soon, but I am sure that I had at least one cone hit each run.....

a.jpg

Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Dawsonville, GA
I am having a great season so far and looking to what the next steps for the car should be. At this point, I am searching for tenths of a second. The car feels dialed in and cant really put a finger on any changes I need to make.

I have a new set of Maximum Motorsports LCA with spherical bearings on both ends on order, so that will give me 90% rear sphericals (no diff bearing yet). This is replacing a poly/spherical unit from UPR.

Coilovers? I am running a new set of Koni Yellows this year with HR Race springs at -3* camber, but if it would make a huge difference it would be worth it.
Weight loss? Drivetrain is still stock....Driveshaft, Clutch, Flywheel. Replace battery with Braille? Replace radiator support?
Safety? I could do a Watson roll bar

I prefer the Panhard bar system, but maybe I look at the Cortex torque arm and Watts?

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Nice meeting you this weekend. Car looked hooked up for sure and put a good 2 second barrier against my car. The venue seemed pretty smooth so not sure you'd get a ton of advantage out of the Watts link, and while it improves "feel" , I've never seen anyone slap one on and gain appreciable time. In fact I think you'd find yourself chasing setup of the numerous adjustments over the course of the rest of the season.

Weight reduction will always be an advantage and an aluminum driveshaft and braille battery are a great way to shed an easy chunk of weight.

I wouldn't consider a rollbar unless you're looking to take it out to track days as well, and would instead look towards a harness bar and a decent set of 4 of 5 point harnesses. Not so much for safety, but to minimize the amount of effort you have to put into holding yourself in the seat. Even with the Recaros in my car, I know I could be more secure than the factory 3 point is allowing me to be. You may already have this though as I didn't look that closely at your car during the event.

Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Dawsonville, GA
Nice meeting you this weekend. Car looked hooked up for sure and put a good 2 second barrier against my car. The venue seemed pretty smooth so not sure you'd get a ton of advantage out of the Watts link, and while it improves "feel" , I've never seen anyone slap one on and gain appreciable time. In fact I think you'd find yourself chasing setup of the numerous adjustments over the course of the rest of the season.

Weight reduction will always be an advantage and an aluminum driveshaft and braille battery are a great way to shed an easy chunk of weight.

I wouldn't consider a rollbar unless you're looking to take it out to track days as well, and would instead look towards a harness bar and a decent set of 4 of 5 point harnesses. Not so much for safety, but to minimize the amount of effort you have to put into holding yourself in the seat. Even with the Recaros in my car, I know I could be more secure than the factory 3 point is allowing me to be. You may already have this though as I didn't look that closely at your car during the event.
Nice meeting you as well! I have debated time after time about moving to a GT350 in your exact color, but I am biased as a Tennessee Volunteer :)

I appreciate your feedback. I do have Racetech seats and 6 point harnesses, so that is covered and made a big difference when I did that. Amazing how you can really "feel" the car more with fixed seats.

Most of my current weights savings are middle to back, so I am thinking working on the front end may provide the most immediate benefit. I'll probably add a driveshaft, replace the front radiator support, tubular front crash bar, and a battery. That should shave ~50 pounds.

The GT350 is a ton of fun, but coming from an S197 car myself, I was a little shocked at how "high" I sat in the seat and how large the car is overall. I really wish they had done everything they did with this car, but managed to retain the overall dimensions of the S197 chassis. I think the GT350 could have easily come in at 3500lbs instead of 3700.

Any weight you can take off the nose will help, but I tend to favor the crash structure offered by the factory front bumper and radiator supports over the weight loss personally. Of course when I was in my 20's it was all about weight loss and safety be damned. Now if you were towing the car to the track for every event then I would change my advice and say lose as much weight as you can.

Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Dawsonville, GA
I purchased a set of Cortex JRI coilovers with 450F/250R springs, 315 offset, and camber slugs which should net me the -3.5 I've been looking for. Im excited to see how this transforms the car!

Next up will either be some of the weight loss previously mentioned or even maybe go with a watts link......

Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Dawsonville, GA
Well so much for the 2.5 second gap I've been experiencing. Wife noticed me shopping for square wheel setups, camber plates, new springs, and 200 tw tires the other night LOL.

We'll see, I think I have two events before the next SCCA to try and get it set right. No guarantees I'll pick up speed, but lets hope so! If you add those parts you should be able to close the gap more than you think. especially with the tires.

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
True, but the wife is giving me an incredible amount of side-eye while I try to explain how the tires I bought 2,000 miles ago aren't good enough now nor are the wheels or springs etc...
Sloppy. LOL. You should tell her you have a little something on the side, and that's where your extra money goes. She will be happy to learn its "The Car". Or she may have you wacked. Hard to say which one without meeting her. Good luck either way. 😳 :hellyeah:

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Tell her you went 3200 kilometers on the tyres, it sounds a bit better unless she tries to convert them to miles. Or you can just buy some more and tell her with hearty laugh and a smile on your face that your got some more tires , but............." They were on Sale, baby!"

Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Dawsonville, GA
I finished up a fun 2022 season where I pulled out the CAMC championship in the Atlanta Region as well as first in the BMWCCA X4 class. The competition is coming on strong though for next year!!!

My offseason plans are to drop weight, increase grip, and create a new livery.

The goal for weight loss is to go from the current 3493 (no driver/half tank) down to 3400.
-Driveshaft
-Braille battery
-Steeda radiator support
That should get me about 50, so the hunt will be on for what I can do to drop the rest.

For grip I plan on adding a tall rear spoiler and move up to 315 tires. Trackspec hood vents might be something I do as well although I'm not sure how much that would help.

Livery....I want to go with an orange and black theme. Paint the wheels orange, wrap the side mirrors, maybe paint the grill orange, and possibly add an orange hockey stick decal down the side.

TMO Supporting Vendors