The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

DIY Removable Track Numbers Material

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Georgia, USA
I'm new to the HPDE scene with a GT350. I have a vinyl cutter and would like to design and cut my own removable numbers for track days. Reusable would be great, but not required. Does anyone have a suggestion for vinyl that will be safe for paint, removable, and durable for a track day?

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
20+ Years
MN
I know nothing about vinyl that they use for numbering but I do know that "reusable" is a term that I've never been able to make work. If you have a vinyl cutter, I believe you are 3/4 of your way there. Vinyl sheets are relatively inexpensive, IMO. You're going to find the amount of time you spend trying to save the "reusable" numbers is probably not worth it. Buy some magnetic sheets and make mag numbers if you plan to track often. Others may have more experienced opinions, but thats my thoughts on it.

Bay Area
Just make numbers as you need them. They are relatively cheap and the time it would take to install and remove is not worth the effort. Or do like me and be a DB and keep them on all the time. :)

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
I am a big fan of just putting the numbers on magnetic vinyl backing ( thicker, heavier duty kind ) as I have no recollection of ever losing a number, decal , or class designation over the many years I have run autocross and track events. The key is to make sure the numbers/decals/etc. do not overlap any folds in the metal and if on a really fast track clear tape on the leading edge is used by many -- though I have never used it. The one caveat I should list is most of the tracks I run only allow a top speed of around 130 - 140 so no experience if said magnetic backed vinyl will stay on at Mid Ohio , Road America , VIR , Road Atlanta, etc. without the clear tape backing on the leading edge.

I just take them off after an event and they last forever. I have some old decals, sponsors , and numbers I used still stuck on my garage door, ha.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Nashville TN
I use magnetic sheet for my door numbers etc. but need something else for required numbers and decals on the front and rear, which is what I use this sheeting for.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Georgia, USA
My wife came up with an approach to this I haven't seen elsewhere, yet. Using a vinyl cutter she cut the numbers out of Oracal 651 permanent vinyl. She then cut a square of window cling vinyl and applied to numbers to it.

Being sure to save the backing material, the number panel was placed on the doors using wet application. There are few bubbles, but they're not noticeable unless you're staring at them up close.

These had no issues at the track and for several days of interstate driving in rain and hot sun.

The panel was removed easily and placed back on the backing material for storage. No damage or scratches were noted.

I think this is how I'm going to roll moving forward.

IMG_0255.JPG

IMG_0263.JPG

IMG_0264.JPG

IMG_0265.JPG

IMG_0266.JPG

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Nashville TN
My wife came up with an approach to this I haven't seen elsewhere, yet. Using a vinyl cutter she cut the numbers out of Oracal 651 permanent vinyl. She then cut a square of window cling vinyl and applied to numbers to it.

Being sure to save the backing material, the number panel was placed on the doors using wet application. There are few bubbles, but they're not noticeable unless you're staring at them up close.

These had no issues at the track and for several days of interstate driving in rain and hot sun.

The panel was removed easily and placed back on the backing material for storage. No damage or scratches were noted.

View attachment 77614

View attachment 77615

View attachment 77616

View attachment 77617

View attachment 77618

I had previously tried window cling material. It may work on the sides where you have it (I didn't try it there as I used magnetic sheet for the doors) but when used on the front edge of the hood and/or the rear bumper (NASA TT requires front and rear numbers) it wasn't sturdy enough and wrinkled/tore/lifted.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Georgia, USA
I had previously tried window cling material. It may work on the sides where you have it (I didn't try it there as I used magnetic sheet for the doors) but when used on the front edge of the hood and/or the rear bumper (NASA TT requires front and rear numbers) it wasn't sturdy enough and wrinkled/tore/lifted.
That's good to know. I'll keep that in mind if I'm ever required to have front/rear numbers.

View attachment 77614

View attachment 77615

View attachment 77616

View attachment 77617

View attachment 77618
Good idea. I recognize that track.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel