The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Do The Screw In Your 302 2015 Friday May 22nd @ Laguna Seca

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ufnavy06

Some say he has a tattoo of his face on his face.
NFSBOSS said:
I'm planning on going to Sonoma on July 2nd with HOD if anyone is interested. I think YoPauly and my friend Bret with his Z06 are going.

http://www.hookedondriving.com/event-details/July_2,_THURSDAY_-_Presented_by_SF_Motorsports

Don't tempt me like this.

Surfergeek said:
The wheels are already turning on how to get the noise level down. 90db days may just be out for me in the future. But we will give it our best shot with some resonators, laguna pipes, and maybe change from H to X to see what that does with the sound.
This is how wingrider did it.

IMG_5703_zps4ps9qd9v.jpg

ufnavy06 said:
Don't tempt me like this.
Do it! Many, including me, think Sonoma is the better track.

Grant 302 said:
Well, aside from practicing my Mustang TetrisTM and suspension tuning on short session intervals.
This is what Grant is talking about. All of this came out of his car. :D

IMG_5708_zpshrf730zw.jpg
IMG_5709_zpsvgesso3j.jpg

Tri-bar said:
I want to thank eveyone who helped me out, world class for sure. Great group of guys we have here, THANK YOU!
You came to the track well prepared but let's hope we don't see this next time.

IMG_5719_zpsk7z38ndm.jpg

Team BMO West at the restaurant Turn 12 in Monterey on Thursday night. David and Gordon from HOD joined us.

IMG_5704_zps4ysc9cfs.jpg

The owner of this Mercedes AMG SLS Black Edition came by and said hello. He also owns a 1970 BOSS 302. His SLS was my favorite car at the track that day.

IMG_5715_zpstkdj6dm8.jpg

So Dick Wolf, the TV/Movie producer, was there with a new Ferrari Challenge car and was being coached by Johannes Von Overbeek. The Ferrari dealer in Beverly Hills sent a full support truck including a backup car seen in the photo. This guy knows how to do it right! Johannes is heading over to France to prepare for LeMans.

IMG_5717_zpsux0nnxj8.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dick_Wolf

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Johannes_van_Overbeek

Wingrider

'11 GT500, 99% Track Car. Lots of mods & I coach
Fiddler49 said:
Definitely an awesome time! Great meeting all the BMO crew. And special thanks to Wingrider, my coach for the day. Taught me a ton! All set for my next HPDE...

It was great riding with you. You are a solid driver and I'd roll with you anytime. I can't wait to have to give you a point by passing me!

Wingrider

NFSBOSS said:
This is how wingrider did it.

IMG_5703_zps4ps9qd9v.jpg
*snip*

I spent most of a day learning about muffler shops in the south bay and wound up at a commercial trucking supply place for those. I have to confess they didn't fully solve the problem. I went out for a sound check while I was coaching Thursday and blew 91db running it flat out at the top of 3rd gear. The whole GT500 exhaust is stock and I've blown high 93's and 94+ before on sunny afternoons so 91 flat on a way overcast / low cloud / drizzly day is an improvement. There was a '12 GT500 there Friday with us and he blew 94+ in the afternoon also on a stock GT500 exhaust.

Friday I was mindful of things but really didn't try hard to "lift" up the hill and made it through the day without a meatball. I think if I rotate them up ~ 15-20 degrees or so that might do it as I may still be getting some ground bounce with how low the car is. There was some discussion about it being related to the intake but there's nothing to do about that I'm aware of.

ufnavy06

Some say he has a tattoo of his face on his face.
Nope. No problems for me. Zale, I think it was, had his cutouts open some of the time and didn't have a problem. I think the GT500s had a problem with the superchargers (Jared too). Definitely disappointing.

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
Pretty sure I got flagged just before we finished the 1st session. I kept short shifting to 4th before I got to the booth, and I probably didn't need to later in the day as it got a bit warmer.

EDIT: That was with GT500 axlebacks and 1/2" discs and stock airbox. Maybe we need to take relative humidity readings too...and add that to the list of data that I log. ::) And we lucked out with a dry day. It was raining when I left Saturday morning.

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
ufnavy06 said:
On that note Grant, we definitely got the better day on track on Friday.

Except that maybe vipermx's caliper might not have caught FIRE! I still have a hard time believing how relatively calm he and I were when I mentioned that there were flames coming out of his wheel. :eek:

Unrelated, but the best room for the trip?
18066408495_b290042652.jpg

Wingrider

NFSBOSS said:
Did anyone else besides Jared and Doug get popped on sound? I ran stock side discs with GT500 axle backs and typically short shifted coming out of turn 5 and never had a problem. At the end of the day I stopped short shifting and still didn't have a problem. I currently have my stock airbox on and I think that helps too.

I re-read this and wanted to say I didn't get popped for sound Thursday or Friday. I did go out on Thursday requesting a sound check and hit 91 but no runs above 90 on Friday. Thursday I jammed up that hill faster than I've ever run it *trying* to break sound and barely missed.

I read threads where folks say they don't want to do a Laguna track day because of being hit for sound. I don't want to discourage anyone because fellow drivers and coaches will help you still have any awesome day. It's about 40 feet of one straightaway on a legendary track. If there is a concern do a sound check (without penalty) and you can work through it. COME TO THE TRACK!

Wingrider

To the point of my previous post, Rick has anyone run a larger opening on the left side pipe to relieve more sound away from the sound monitor? With the H-pipe (X ?) it shouldn't impact performance.

….or is that what you guys re already talking about?

Doug that's a good point. You could block the right side pipe and run a mid sized opening on the left. The side pipes have no mufflers so it might be better to block both and run it all out the back. I'm still of the opinion that running stock or 1/2" discs are the way to go. Driving LS far outweighs how your car sounds and why worry about it while at the track?

Thanks for the info guys ....

To add to the data points ... I am closer to having GT500 type problems with sound because I am blown with a ROUSH intake so I have supercharger whine to contend with as well.

On my first run, I blew 96db going up the hill in 4th gear 3,500-4,500 RPM (I have 3.31s). On my "sound check" run I blew a 93.2 in the afternoon and got tossed off again, that time was 5th gear, babying it up the hill. Before the muffler swap with the borla touring mufflers and stock cats I also had thrown a 96db at LS in the past, so the GT500 mufflers are quieter, but not quiet enough.

Things we are going to try:

Swap H-Pipe for X-Pipe and see what that does with the tone (I have both handy)
Set-up a set of Elbows similar to Wingrider's, we already had my GT500's set up with V-Band clamps (this way the tips of the mufflers come off with the V-band and I can put a set of elbows on) (in conversations at the track, it was implied this could be good for 3-4db)

Something similar to this:

Exhaust-Pipe-Clamp-3-V-Band-Clamps-Kits-.jpg

Those are easy swaps.

If that still doesn't get us close ... I'll put a set of straight through resonators inline after the X/H pipe and see what that does. Though that's a more permanent / more labor intensive fix. Especially getting the resonators right so they don't hang too low on the underside of the car. If I can get it consistently to 93/94db I'll be happy, and just have to go for the higher db days at Laguna. SMG cars do 90db consistently with long tube headers and bullit mustang mufflers, but those cars aren't blown so I have a challenge ahead of me.

If these don't work another alternative is to put super trapps in the elbows, but hoping to avoid something like that.

My set-up right now is a blown GT with kook's shorty headers, and elbows with Kook's Green Cats in them, H-Pipe, and GT500 Mufflers.

The Kook's Green Cats did miraculous things for flow and throttle response but the sound level that is coming from the car was higher than anticipated, they offer no where near the level of sound suppression as the factory cats did. Side note ... no CEL and the 02 are still on in the tune and no need for non-foulers so that's pretty cool. The installer said if they were hot enough at the time of a sniffer they would pass, so that's cool as well.

Another data point: Kooks shorties, 1/2" discs, and FRPP Touring axle backs - under 90db all day and I wasn't babying it going by the sound check booth. My axle backs do give a deeper growl than most, so maybe that helped?

This is a long one and has Moto in the white Boss, Grant in the Kona Blue FakeR, Dave in the 2013 Black LS and his brother Dave in the 2012 Black LS. Dave in the 2012 is now a BMO member. That's also a new Cayman GTS. I went out trying to stay behind the Bosses for some splitter cam action. The splitter cam gives you a better perspective of the corkscrew drop. I'll have more later that won't be so long.

@Grant 302
@motor220122
@Viper1mx
@Wingrider
@dws302
@Fiddler49
@Surfergeek
@ufnavy06
@Tri-bar
@Boss2273
@SDS
@l8te apx