The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Do you have proper track etiquette???

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Last weekend in HPDE2 class I give a Point by to the hatchback, and this happens......https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ssG3EdOOhhE

I would guess by the term HPDE2 that this is NASA?....I don't know their rules for that specific day/track, but if this was point by everywhere then that second pass would be a problem for me (which is what I'm assuming happened).

But if this is point by in corners only with designated straights that are open passing, I don't have a big issue as I would be aware of the second car behind the car I'm pointing by. I'd keep an eye on the second car regardless since he would be able to pass me without a point by on the straight and then even pass the hatchback. Very good track awareness by the hatchback driver to allow a lot of room between him and the other car.

That second car had some impressive acceleration.

I would guess by the term HPDE2 that this is NASA?....I don't know their rules for that specific day/track, but if this was point by everywhere then that second pass would be a problem for me (which is what I'm assuming happened).

But if this is point by in corners only with designated straights that are open passing, I don't have a big issue as I would be aware of the second car behind the car I'm pointing by. I'd keep an eye on the second car regardless since he would be able to pass me without a point by on the straight and then even pass the hatchback. Very good track awareness by the hatchback driver to allow a lot of room between him and the other car.

That second car had some impressive acceleration.

yes it was a NASA event, in DE2 only two designated straights for passing, but require a pointy for every car, this wannabe DTM asshat didn't get a point by from either of us, we let our displeasure be known to the organization and the driver...

TymeSlayer

Tramps like us, Baby we were born to run...
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Brighton, Colorado
NASA rules are that one car per point by in HPDE2. There is no excuse for what the second car did and puts us all in danger. The NASA group I run with would have sat that guy for sure.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Spain
Been at three tracks here now, and all indicate with blue traffic lights, or guys waving blue flags, that there is a faster car approaching and you should let him pass. An European thing perhaps?

Still waiting for that light to flash blue when I'm approaching. Thought it happened once or twice, but later it turned out the other car was just doing a cool-down lap while I was "chasing him down".

TMO Supporting Vendors