The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Do you think my dealer has been filling my Boss with 8 qt of oil for 2 years?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Every time I change oil I see 8 quarts of 5w50 on the bill. One day he told me they do not charge for the half quart so I assumed it is 8.5 qts. ???

Today I changed my oil at a different dealer next to my work, he said he will put 8 qts!
He mentioned that Ford specs calls for 8 qts only to fill to the middle of the range between min and max marks on the dip stick. He also added if he puts 8.5 qts the oil level will reach the max mark.

I told them, please let us stop this insanity and put a damned 8.5 qts, it is in the owner manual for God sake. I ended up going home a half quart of motorcraft oil, which has never happened before. Obviously I paid for 9 qts.

This all makes me question if my dealer has been pouring only 8 qts for the last 2 years?!

What is going on?

I doubt they would have 5w50 on hand and would therefore have to go get it from the parts department. The parts department needs to track inventory, so the paperwork should say 9qts and they are not going to give away a whole quart. So unfortunately I vote 8... But unless you were consuming oil and got below the low mark I would not be too worried. There should be plenty of safety margin.

It could also be that the software system does not support anything other than whole numbers and someone made a scene about being "over charged" for a full quart when they only got half. I seem to remember being told something about the system not allowing 0.5 increments, but I could be wrong.

But they could have charged me for 9 and give me half quart like the last dealer did. So next time I bring my half and tgey charge for 8 only.

It concerns me as we all know dealers just do not give half quarts for free. It just does not make sense.

Having said all of this, despite of tracking my car and DD over the last 2 years of ownership, I have yet to see my oil level even close to the min. mark on the dip stick.

dmichaels

Papa Smurf
CT
Interesting. I'll have to check my last two printouts from my dealer oil changes. Wonder if they say 8 or 8.5... My changes so far have been free and the next one should be too (although the dealer is trying to reneg on their written promise for free changes after screwing up the price of my car) so I never bothered looking in detail as there was no cost. But you've peaked my interest

drano38

Wayne
When I was having the dealer change my oil, they charged for 9 quarts. From then on I asked them for the remaining 1/2 quart. Now I change my own, so no issue.

I doubt their system allows selling half a quart--which is why they should be happy sending the half bottle home with you if you ask. But if you don't, it will sit on the technician's shelf and get used some time when he needs a partial bottle.

For a while I worked at a farm machinery dealership. Same thing happened--service needed a partial quart, so customer got charged for a full quart and the partial quart ended up on his bench, to be used for another customer (who also got charged for a full quart). At inventory time, we had way too many quarts on the shelf compared to the computer (full synthetic gear lube at $20 each). Gee, I wonder why. :-X

If your concern is proper billing, yes ask and get your 1/2 quart remaining of the 9 quarts used. I know at my local dealer the 5w-50 is typically NOT in stock. If you are concerned about 8 or 8.5 quarts don't. Do an oil change yourself and see the difference on the stick. And remember there are still 8 quarts of oil in the engine which on my '12 Boss is 1/2 way in the cross hatch on the engine oil dipstick. I prefer to run mine right in the middle. One work around is to buy the oil from the parts department, throw it in the car and ask for any remainder. No question then whats goes in and what is left over. Bonus in your case is if you have an issue with the engine, you have an established service record which proves proper maintenance. I would not worry. :) :) :)

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 - Racing Legend to Modern Muscle Car
Southeast
As I approached the 15k mile mark, I was nearing the end of my 36 months 36k mile warranty period and took the Boss to the Dealership to have the FLCA TSB performed and said, do the 15k mile service while she's in the shop.

I went to pick up the car and the cashier said, "Oh Mr. S. There is a note here that says, "Please have Mr. S. speak with the Technician, Do you have a moment?" Yes, of course and a few minutes later Brian comes out to the service drive and states, "I have a 1/2 quart bottle of engine oil left over, do you want it?" I said, what? And he goes on to tell me about my Boss oil capacity.

We looked at the CPL. R.O. and review the parts column as he tells me about the special requirements of the Boss 302 engine. I just listened, smiled, and thanked him.

I'm fortunate as my Dealership is knowledgable about Ford performance vehicles and they do a wonderful job with Customer Service. Sometimes you come across a really good Ford Service Department.

The next day I checked my engine oil level and sure enough, oil was right at the top of the full mark on the dipstick.

Dave
302 HP

Actually my concern was 8 or 8.5 qts not much the half quart as they have been charging for 8 anyway.

Yes, I checked the dip stick and I see the level at the max mark. In the past oil changes it was always in the middle of the range.

See, my problem is I track my car and if you do, you really need to put the right amount of oil.

These little things are why I change my own oil. Most auto dealers have low skill personnel to do the simple stuff like oil changes and in my experience they are either poorly trained or don't care. More often than not if I need to have an oil change done because I'm traveling or just don't have the time my car is either overfilled or underfilled (not the Boss, I've always done that myself). I know this because I've learned to check it before leaving the dealer. And who knows if they used the proper oil? The fact is that none of these things are likely to make the car blow up but I like to know that my car is being maintained properly to avoid larger issues down the road.

So to answer your question directly, it wouldn't surprise me at all if the dealer has been putting in 8 qts. every time especially given that it's expensive oil.

Your concern is why I go to the dealer and buy 9qts of oil and a filter. Then I go to the Jiffy Lube were I have taken all my cars for the past 10 years and let them do it while I can stand there and watch. It costs more in the long run but I know them and I have no doubts about what they used or how much. There have been multiple threads on this topic and I believe the filter you use may also play into the amount needed but don't quote me on that.

Fomoco302

Life is short. Live well!
I stand right next to my car the whole time. That's the only way they will get my business and they have never told me I can't be in the shop. FWIW I always take the half quart home.

Let me say this, I think I got lucky I did not blow up my engine yet with all the track days I've done. However, it is still a bummer if they really have been putting 8 qts all that time.

I think I posted this once before, but I'll post it again:

NEVER allow the oil to be changed in your Boss without watching them pour 8.5 quarts of 5W-50 into the car. I had the dealer I bought my 2013 Boss from screw up the change THREE times. The last time, I stood there watching through the window as the guy grabbed the oil gun and started putting 5W20 in the car, AFTER I went over the 8.5 quarts of 5W50 requirement with the service advisor, AGAIN. They put 7.5 quarts in TWICE before. Each time, I have to get out the Boss owner's supplement and wave it at them.

I have just started taking photos of nine quarts of oil and a new filter every time I change it myself to cover the warranty. I won't let those clowns touch the car now.

The same place tried to fill my daughter's Ford 500, which has a CVT that takes special fluid, with regular ATF. I had to stop them from doing that, too.

This is at one of the largest Ford dealers in the Rocky Mountain region.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
302 Hi Pro said:
As I approached the 15k mile mark, I was nearing the end of my 36 months 36k mile warranty period and took the Boss to the Dealership to have the FLCA TSB performed and said, do the 15k mile service while she's in the shop.

I went to pick up the car and the cashier said, "Oh Mr. S. There is a note here that says, "Please have Mr. S. speak with the Technician, Do you have a moment?" Yes, of course and a few minutes later Brian comes out to the service drive and states, "I have a 1/2 quart bottle of engine oil left over, do you want it?" I said, what? And he goes on to tell me about my Boss oil capacity.

We looked at the CPL. R.O. and review the parts column as he tells me about the special requirements of the Boss 302 engine. I just listened, smiled, and thanked him.

I'm fortunate as my Dealership is knowledgable about Ford performance vehicles and they do a wonderful job with Customer Service. Sometimes you come across a really good Ford Service Department.

The next day I checked my engine oil level and sure enough, oil was right at the top of the full mark on the dipstick.

Dave
302 HP

It is unfortunate that this is a rarity :(

13Boss said:
Actually my concern was 8 or 8.5 qts not much the half quart as they have been charging for 8 anyway.

Yes, I checked the dip stick and I see the level at the max mark. In the past oil changes it was always in the middle of the range.

See, my problem is I track my car and if you do, you really need to put the right amount of oil.

One possibility is that they changed only the oil, but didn't change the filter. Then 8 quarts would get you back up to the max mark. :eek: :eek:

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 - Racing Legend to Modern Muscle Car
Southeast
ArizonaBOSS said:
It is unfortunate that this is a rarity :(

Totally agree, and is why I stated "I am fortunate". There are some good Dealerships out there, but far too many owners have a poor service experience.

Dave,
302 Hi Pro

PS: In South Jersey a good dealer service department is at Miller Ford, Lumberton, New Jersey.

***UPDATES***

I decided to do my study and I called 15 Ford Dealers in Michigan, 3 in San Diego and 2 in Ohio.

I asked them a simple question: how many quarts of oil does 2013 Mustang Boss 302 take?

Shocking! Only 1 dealer in Michigan said 8.5 qts, all others said 8.

San Diego 2 of 3 said 8.5 qts!

Ohio 1 out of 2 said 8.5 qts.

Sad, but there has to be an explanation for that.
Apparently most Ford dealers use ford service website which does list 8 qts for 5.0, but right below that option it says 8.5 qts, but does not specify for which car.

One dealer told me "which 5.0 the Hi-PO option?" And he subsequently replied 9 qts.

So as you can see the answer is there, but hidden in between the lines and most dealers take the easy way and follow the "5.0" route which says 8 qts.
However, even for the 5.0 engine the track pack edition, Ford says 8.5 qts.

Quite frustrating indeed. Very rarely people think out of the box.

I am to be blamed too, as I assumed that the dealer is normally putting 8.5. I took it for granted.

Conclusion:
Never assume. Ask them SPECIFICALLY for 8.5 qts, please.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel