The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Does anyone else like there mt82?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

All i hear are bad things about this transmission. I love mine once I changed the fluid and added a Barton Its been the best shifting transmission i have ever owned. My only complaint is it is very temperamental when the temperature gets around 30 degrees but once it warms up its fine. I honestly like it better than the tremec. What are every one elses thoughts. Also I havent thrown any extra power to it yet so I dont know how well it will holdup.

cosm3os said:
It's fine by me. I am man enough to admit that when I have trouble shifting it on track, its cause I'm being ham-fisted. I don't blame my tools.
You should blame the clutch.

I think the majority of issues with the MT-82 are caused by the inadequate clutch that came in our cars and it's more of an issue with the Bosses or GT's that have the rev limiter raised. Most of us that have aftermarket clutches don't have shifting issues. With that said the durability of the MT-82 is a big question mark but as long as it's under warranty I'm not worrying about it. But if you are check this thread.

https://trackmustangsonline.com/index.php?topic=6557.0

I like the MT-82 just fine and I currently have the Ford dual clutch fluid with a MGW shifter. I really didn't like the MGW at first but it has broken in nicely and I wouldn't go back to the stock shifter. The ratios are well matched to the engine for track use too.

TymeSlayer

Tramps like us, Baby we were born to run...
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Brighton, Colorado
Love my MT-82.
Loved it before the MGW shifter and TSB additive, love it even more so now.
The MGW just tightened things up and was certainly a worthwhile upgrade.

Not everyone can be lucky!

TymeSlayer said:
Love my MT-82.
Loved it before the MGW shifter and TSB additive, love it even more so now.
The MGW just tightened things up and was certainly a worthwhile upgrade.

Not everyone can be lucky!
Can you share more info on the TSB and the additive. I think mine could use it.

unrealford

Mustang owner since 84
At this point I'm enjoying. It, I had the dealer do TSB and a Shifter, and a new clutch, now it's great, haven't ever had it grind on me, even before clutch.

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
I like them both. Beat on both of them today. Gear ratios are well matched to the power curve.

I'm planning on using the XL-18 additive when I change fluids.

There's really nothing wrong with the MT-82....just all the supporting parts and systems.

I've really liked both of my MT-82's. The first one worked great and the second one is even better. The only bad thing is the second one has a piss poor clutch that gives me lockout at high RPM. The first clutch was perfect. I'll probably address that in the spring. I decided to keep the car and part of that decision is to make it perfect, at least mechanically since there's a lot of rock chips and stuff now.

NFSBOSS said:
I haven't seen that one. Do you have the TSB number?

Not a TSB that I'm aware of. The fluid chart was updated early this summer and the XL 18 became available shortly thereafter. I picked some up from my local Ford dealer and installed about a month or so after changing out the fluid. I noticed a change right away. The cold 1-2 nibble was all but gone and my 4-5 shift improved as well. Well worth the $20.00 IMO.

TymeSlayer

Tramps like us, Baby we were born to run...
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Brighton, Colorado
Here's a link to the TSB regarding the MT-82 additive to deal with the cold shift issues. I had this done while I had my dealer install my FRP upgraded clutch line.

http://mustangsdaily.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/tsb-11-03-18.pdf

TymeSlayer said:
Here's a link to the TSB regarding the MT-82 additive to deal with the cold shift issues. I had this done while I had my dealer install my FRP upgraded clutch line.

http://mustangsdaily.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/tsb-11-03-18.pdf
Ok maybe I'm missing it but I don't see any additive listed on this TSB. In fact it states the following:

"The use of friction modifiers or other fluid additives
is not recommended since although they may
provide some immediate improvement in cold shift
effort, they are likely to result in long term
degradation of the synchronizers."

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
I like mine the clutch on the other hand...now that I have a twin disc clutch and redline fluid it is doing great. The stock shifter was ok for being stock. For a stock ford piece it was much better then the shifters of old. But I prefer my mgw over the stock piece any day

TMO Supporting Vendors