The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Does anyone else ?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Does anyone else open the hood to let the heat out after a drive.Not knowing the long term affect of that much heat on the hood & stripe.I just do it to prevent any issues later down the road.Am I crazy or does this make sense to anyone else.?

Boostd4

Relapsed Turbo Addict
I do it every time I drive the car in warm/hot weather and when I've been beating on it. This is something I've done with all of my cars though...helps preserve hoses, plastics, etc.

I do at the track but not at home. I might start doing that at home too.

VWGTI123

2012 PW #2558
I usually do this when it is hot out... if I put the car in the garage while hot it becomes an oven in there..... But never realized how this could help preserve the hoses, plastics, etc.. Thanks for posting that info. :)

isrboss

Never open the hood at home or at the track for heat reason( hood vents). I do open it if t is raining and I return home, so the water spots don't get cooked into the paint.

Boostd4

Relapsed Turbo Addict
VWGTI123 said:
I usually do this when it is hot out... if I put the car in the garage while hot it becomes an oven in there..... But never realized how this could help preserve the hoses, plastics, etc.. Thanks for posting that info. :)

Well just think of it as keeping rubber, plastic, etc. out of an oven for the least amount of time as possible. Now, this is more of a long term way of preventative failure...possibly excessive...but every bit helps. Back in my RX7, Evo and S4 days when turbo motors put out A LOT of heat this played a bigger role.

I make a point to take it easy for 4-5 minutes before i turn the car off (when I can). I guess it helps that my hood has some holes in it, but I still pop the hood open at the track.

TMO Supporting Vendors